Beginning Of The New Historicals :-)

Discuss Lynsay's historicals

Beginning Of The New Historicals :-)

Postby wren on July 18th, 2008, 11:54 am

Just opening a thread for discussing the new historicals which will begin releasing next year. I checked the website, and it seems we will get the first one, Devil of the Highlands, in January! :D

It has been awhile since Lynsay has been able to concentrate on and release a new hysterical historical. In the meantime, I've been catching up on those previously published. So, for the historical buffs, maybe we can get a few hints from Lynsay to get us started and we can think about a few theories for the upcoming books. Lynsay, isn't this the first book in a trilogy about three sisters? :)
wren

Re: Beginning Of The New Historicals :-)

Postby KimberlyK on July 19th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Did you know that it just occured to me that I don't know anything about this book at all?! I did a quick search online and couldn't find anything either.

Has Lynsay posted anything here on the boards about this before? Wren, you mentioned it possibly being part of a trilogy about three sisters. Where did you hear this? And is there a search function on here? Maybe if I go back to the home page it will be there.

Lynsay, if you read this, a little summary would be nice for your ever-so-eagar fans. Pretty please?

Kimberly
KimberlyK

Postby wren on July 19th, 2008, 6:59 pm

Kimberly, I remember Lynsay saying it was a Scottish trilogy about three sisters, one featured in each book or something like that, on the old forum. Maybe?? It may not be so, but that's what I was thinking when I posted.

Lynsay, a little hint or a few clues about the new historicals coming up, please!!!! :)
wren

Postby lisa on July 20th, 2008, 2:14 pm

There is now an excerpt of Devil of THe Highlands on Lynsays website. It looks like it will be a GREAT BOOK! Cant wait for that one now.
lisa

Postby Lynsay on July 22nd, 2008, 7:57 am

Yes, Lisa's right, the excerpt is now up under new or upcoming releases.

The Devil of the Highlands is about Evelinde and the Devil of Donnachaidh. The second book, Presently titled The Shrew is about Evelinde's brother, Alexander, and his betrothed Merry Stewart, aka The Stewart Shrew (grin) The third book is about Merry's brother. All are medieval Scottish/English stories with one mate English and one Scottish. Two take place mostly in Scotland but a little in England and one takes place kind of half and half in each country.

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby Lynsay on July 22nd, 2008, 8:05 am

You're right, Wren, I did originally intend to write about three sisters. Unfortunately, I foolishly said as much to my editor, she decided to "help" and made suggestions. I started trying to bend the story to fit her suggestions and . . . well, basically, the moment I start messing with a story it's the death nell for the story. They invariably collapse. It will sound weird but it's kind of like trying to move a supporting beam in a house. The minute I try moving things around, the house collapses. That's what happened with the original three sisters plot.

So I scrapped the three sisters story idea, started fresh and this time didn't say boo to my editor except to say that the idea hadn't worked and I switched to another. I wrote The Devil of the Highlands instead, and then then took the three sisters, dragged them into the 21st century and dropped them in a cottage next door to Mortimer, Decker and Bricker. . . so really, it all worked out fine.

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby Mr Spice on July 22nd, 2008, 9:47 am

"When shall we three meet again,
In thunder, lightning or in rain."

"When the hurlyburly's done,
When the battle's lost and won"

"In the winter, deep in snow,
Or maybe Sands' next Argeneau"

Shakespeare's Macbeth - Act 1 Scene 1.
"A heavy snowfall,
They are just about to close
The great gate of the barrier"

Yosa Buson (1716-1783)
Mr Spice
Site Admin

Postby Lynsay on July 22nd, 2008, 9:59 am

Now see, he's obviously misquoting Shakespeare here, but I can't figure if he's calling the three sisters witches, or he's calling me old cause I'd have had to be around for five hundred years or more to be in a Shakespeare play.

Lynsay, eyeing Mr. Spice with squinted eyes
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby Denise on July 22nd, 2008, 2:07 pm

:lol: Love the Shakespeare adaptation, Dave. And so glad we get to meet those three sisters, after all.
Denise

Postby KimberlyK on July 22nd, 2008, 11:33 pm

You two better behave!

*shakes a warning finger*

No fighting allowed on the boards. *grin*

Kimberly (who is now popping over to happily read the new excerpt)
KimberlyK

Next

Return to Discuss the books