Devil of the Highlands

Discuss Lynsay's historicals

Re: Devil of the Highlands

Postby MsKitty on November 26th, 2009, 7:39 am

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Lucern in a kilt........................ mmmmrrrroooooaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... & Lucian - I think I may have just fainted..... Oh! Yep - & I just fainted again....
Ms Kitty - AEA Sister & Australian Council Enforcer Contact
MsKitty

Postby Jewelz on November 27th, 2009, 11:21 am

MsKitty wrote:Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Lucern in a kilt........................ mmmmrrrroooooaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... & Lucian - I think I may have just fainted..... Oh! Yep - & I just fainted again....

Oh, I don't think I would want to imagine Lucern in a Kilt. :shock: I guess I'm just a modern
girl. ;)

Love is like a butterfly, it goes where it please's, and please's where it goes. :-)
Jewelz

Postby wren on November 29th, 2009, 9:04 pm

Jewelz wrote:
MsKitty wrote:Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Lucern in a kilt........................ mmmmrrrroooooaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... & Lucian - I think I may have just fainted..... Oh! Yep - & I just fainted again....

Oh, I don't think I would want to imagine Lucern in a Kilt. :shock: I guess I'm just a modern
girl. ;)

uh-huh, Jewelz Image Delightfully luscious Lucern in a kilt...yep, you're modern, just like me! Image Image :lol:
wren

Postby Jewelz on November 29th, 2009, 9:12 pm

wren wrote:
Jewelz wrote:

girl. ;)

uh-huh, Jewelz Image Delightfully luscious Lucern in a kilt...yep, you're modern, just like me! Image Image :lol:

Yep, nothing wrong with modern. I couldn't imagine living hundreds of years ago, in a world without toilet paper. :lol:

Love is like a butterfly, it goes where it please's, and please's where it goes. :-)
Jewelz

Postby wren on November 30th, 2009, 9:14 am

Jewelz, I so agree! I want to see Lucern in a kilt (during modern times is fine with me) and still live with my modern-day conveniences! :D We both know that there are many ways our Lynsay could work that into a book...and they would all be sexy & hilarious at the same time. :lol:
wren

Postby Jewelz on April 1st, 2010, 2:18 am

What a great book Lynsay! Love the mystery and suspense side of it. Cullen is a dream! ;) Uhmmmm!!! I'm starting to get into the historicals. Taming The Highland Bride is next. I have to work the next few nights, but I'm going to go ahead and start it tonight after my workout. I figure I can read a little before bed on the days I work, but sometimes I end up sleep deprived especially if I can't put the book down. Devil of the Highland was such a great book that I had a difficult time setting it down. So does breaking your fast refer to the duration of time between dinner and breakfast (like a fasting )? I never really thought of the meaning til now. To me breakfast was always the morning meal. But hamburger had always boggled me. Oh I'm just rambling :oops: .

Jewelz

Postby wren on April 1st, 2010, 4:13 am

Jewelz, various places in the US claim to be where the hamburger was originally invented & served, and somehow the name is associated with Hamburg, Germany. There is an article on Wikepedia that tells quite a bit about it. It's always interesting to discover these things...oh, and the food 'ham' has never been associated with hamburgers. :lol:

hamburger:
1889, 'hamburg steak' from the German city of Hamburg, though no certain connection has ever been put forth, and there may not be one beyond that of Hamburg being a major port of departure for German immigrants to U.S. Shortened form became "burger"
wren

Postby susan60625 on April 1st, 2010, 8:37 am

wren wrote:hamburger:
1889, 'hamburg steak' from the German city of Hamburg, though no certain connection has ever been put forth, and there may not be one beyond that of Hamburg being a major port of departure for German immigrants to U.S. Shortened form became "burger"

Both of my mother's parents were born in Hamburg and I still have family that lives there. I visited them in 1983 (my one and only trip to Germany) and no where did I see on any menu a "hamburger". An interesting tidbit is that in German the word "burg" means city and the word "burger" is a citizen. Slang here in the states tends to add the word "meister" to things. If you do that to the German word "burger" to form "burgermeister" you now have the mayor of the city!

Now, I'm rambling.....
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby Lynsay on April 1st, 2010, 2:35 pm

Thanks Jewelz, glad you enjoyed it. I have fun with my historicals too.

Yes, that's the source for breakfast, they broke their mini fast in the morning.

Wren is right about hamburger. Here's a little more. I have to check word origins quite often because the line editor for historicals is crazy finicky about not using words before their time. Though I think she misses some, fortunately for me or I'd be looking things up all the time.

WORD HISTORY Because the world has eaten countless hamburgers, the origins of the name may be of interest to many. By the middle of the 19th century people in the port city of Hamburg, Germany, enjoyed a form of pounded beef called Hamburg steak. The large numbers of Germans who migrated to North America during this time probably brought the dish and its name along with them. The entrée may have appeared on an American menu as early as 1836, although the first recorded use of Hamburg steak is not found until 1884. The variant form hamburger steak, using the German adjective Hamburger meaning "from Hamburg," first appears in a Walla Walla, Washington, newspaper in 1889. By 1902 we find the first description of a Hamburg steak close to our conception of the hamburger, namely a recipe calling for ground beef mixed with onion and pepper. By then the hamburger was on its way, to be followed-much later-by the shortened form burger, used in forming cheeseburger and the names of other variations on the basic burger, as well as on its own.
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby sin on April 3rd, 2010, 11:38 am

Interesting fact. Thanks Lynsay

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

PreviousNext

Return to Discuss the books