Great NEWS!!!!!

Discuss Lynsay's historicals

Great NEWS!!!!!

Postby Denise on January 9th, 2010, 11:14 pm

I cheered when I read Dave's announcement! There are several characters that just might get their own stories, now. I don't know how it happened but am so tickled that H.C. has the publishing rights and that Lynsay can revisit her OWN characters, now. Or should I say, THEY can visit her, again.... I'm sure they've been missing their momma!

Anyway,
Yippee!! Hooray!! Ding-dong, Merrily on High!! (oh, wait, that season has finished already.....)
Denise

Re: Great NEWS!!!!!

Postby Mr Spice on January 10th, 2010, 1:11 pm

Denise wrote:Yippee!! Hooray!! Ding-dong, Merrily on High!! (oh, wait, that season has finished already.....)

Not if you're Russian, Greek or any other nationality where the Orthodox Church reigns supreme. The Orthodox church calculates it's festival and holy dates based on the old Julian calendar, where December 25th is our Gregorian calendar date of January 7th.
"A heavy snowfall,
They are just about to close
The great gate of the barrier"

Yosa Buson (1716-1783)
Mr Spice
Site Admin

Postby Denise on January 11th, 2010, 12:28 am

You know, I just KNEW you were going to go there....
Denise

Postby wren on January 11th, 2010, 5:41 am

Denise wrote:You know, I just KNEW you were going to go there....

Denise, as two of the more 'ancient forum Immortals' ~meaning our length of time on the forum, not our chronological age~ we both know our Mr Spice...and you left yourself wide open for it! :lol:

I'm cheering & celebrating with you! I'm hoping some of those historical characters that have been waiting so long start chatting to Lynsay soon! She probably has a backlog of requests for characters to have books. She may have to reread her own books to see everything her characters want to discuss with her! ;) Also, maybe HarperCollins will release the other books with new covers to match if she writes spin-off books. It was easy to see that some of these books could have been trilogies or a small series. I think Avon/HarperCollins usually does a nicer job with covers than other publishers...although Dorchester did a nice job on the new covers for the three Argeneau books they held. But now, Avon/HarperCollins can do an even closer match. I'll still keep my cartoon covers & the new Dorchester covered Argeneaus as "Lynsay Sands collectibles."

I don't know how Lynsay & her agent pulled this off and the publishers came to some kind of agreement, but I am thrilled with this great news! :D

wren

Postby Mr Spice on January 11th, 2010, 12:07 pm

[quote="wren']I don't know how Lynsay & her agent pulled this off and the publishers came to some kind of agreement, but I am thrilled with this great news! :D [/b]
[/color][/quote]

Lynsay and her agent knew nothing of this until it was a done deal. I suspect that Dorchester are in serious financial difficulties and are trying to raise money.
"A heavy snowfall,

Yosa Buson (1716-1783)
Mr Spice
Site Admin

Postby wren on January 12th, 2010, 5:00 am

Mr Spice wrote:[quote="wren']I don't know how Lynsay & her agent pulled this off and the publishers came to some kind of agreement, but I am thrilled with this great news! :D [/b]
[/color][/quote]

Lynsay and her agent knew nothing of this until it was a done deal. I suspect that Dorchester are in serious financial difficulties and are trying to raise money.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Interesting...once again the author is left out of the loop! :roll: However, whatever the two publishers motivations, I'm hoping this does mean that Lynsay has her books & characters where she may possibly return to them at some point in the future. I also hope that Lynsay and her agent are pleased with the new arrangements! :)
wren

Postby Denise on January 14th, 2010, 11:03 pm

Mr Spice wrote:Lynsay and her agent knew nothing of this until it was a done deal.

I just don't understand how they can leave the author out of these kids of negotiations. Do you have no say whatsoever with what happens to YOUR writings? Unbelievable!
Denise

Postby wren on January 15th, 2010, 7:25 am

Denise wrote:
Mr Spice wrote:Lynsay and her agent knew nothing of this until it was a done deal.

I just don't understand how they can leave the author out of these kids of negotiations. Do you have no say whatsoever with what happens to YOUR writings? Unbelievable!

It's my expectation that this is going to be a fortunate move for Lynsay's historical books that were originally published by Dorchester. It does seem that it will open the possibility that the books may be released more often, and that Avon/Harper Collins may give the go ahead for Lynsay to explore some of the characters that her many historical readers would love to see again. I know that Lynsay will be able to tell her editor about specific characters that her readers have asked for that she was unable to write about at the time.

Denise, it seems in all the time we have been on the forum, we have learned more and more about how the publishing industry works, and that in many ways authors don't have much say over their published works. Some of it I understand, because the publishers are investing their time and energy in an author. I especially understand them guiding a new author that they have contracted. I just don't understand how an author at Lynsay's bestselling level who has a history of writing so many popular books in different romance genres can be left out of even knowing about these things until it is a done deal. Possibly this happened quickly if Dorchester came to Avon with an offer, but with today's technology, a phone call or email would quickly get to Lynsay & her agent to keep them aware of what is happening with her books. It seems that would just be courteous. In this case, we are hoping it's a deal for the best, but in some scenarios for an author, it might not be. Remember, authors don't even get the final say on titles or cover art, so I guess any deals between publishers about their books is way too much for their hopes.

wren

Postby Mr Spice on January 15th, 2010, 10:30 am

It comes down to the fact that when a publisher buys the rights to a story they do exactly that, they buy the right to do what they wish to do with it, with the exception of what is specifically excluded. It may be common courtesy to keep everyone in the loop, but common courtesy is not written into contracts and is not offered by all businesses as part of their normal practice.

I suspect Dorchester played their cards close to their chests because of financial difficulties which they wouldn't want making public. Any negative publicity might mean they could have trouble continuing to trade if printers, typesetting companies, etc, thought they may not get paid for current and future work and refused to accept new orders from them.
"A heavy snowfall,

Yosa Buson (1716-1783)
Mr Spice
Site Admin

Postby wren on January 15th, 2010, 6:39 pm

Mr Spice wrote: It may be common courtesy to keep everyone in the loop, but common courtesy is not written into contracts and is not offered by all businesses as part of their normal practice.

True, and it's a shame that common courtesy is no longer the normal practice of many individuals or businesses. :cry:
wren

Return to Discuss the books