Anyone have an idea...

Anyone have an idea...

Postby Denise on July 10th, 2008, 8:26 pm

I understand why they don't want us to post email addresses. And I want to follow the rules. So, does anyone have an idea about how we can make contact when we need to take a conversation off-site?

Or, Dave, would it be okay for us to briefly post addresses just to make contact and then edit them out as soon as the person who needs it gets it?

Or, is someone here the moderator of the Yahoo group and maybe we could use that?

Denise, trying to find a solution we can all live with.....
Last edited by Denise on July 11th, 2008, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denise

Re: Anyone have an idea...

Postby DarkLilac on July 10th, 2008, 9:10 pm

A private message option would be ideal for this. I understand not posting emails in the forum. It really is for our own safety. Other then private messaging among the forum, I have no ideas.
DarkLilac

Postby Copper on July 13th, 2008, 7:01 am

ok when w signed up we put e-mail addresses in so how can we see eachothers is the a way we could even have a members only chat spot for giving e-mails and stuff
AEA Sister European Council/enforcer contact
The Sisterhood of the Travelling Fangs
Copper

Postby wren on July 13th, 2008, 11:22 pm

DarkLilac wrote:A private message option would be ideal for this. I understand not posting emails in the forum. It really is for our own safety. Other then private messaging among the forum, I have no ideas.

Mr. Spice, would you and Lynsay and Terri be open to considering the idea of enabling the use of the private message option. I know you have always stressed safety, especially about posting our emails. It seems the private message option would be safer than just being able to email.

I realize that the email and private messaging options have never been open on this forum, but it would be nice to have a way to contact one another. Especially if we behave ourselves! Please give it some thought...on the old forum, Jodi and I were able to become bookpals/penpals because we were able to exchange our email information, and that has been very helpful to both of us.

We know you are all busy right now, but please think about it. Lynsay's forum has always been a place where people could make friends, and we are the best forum anywhere!
wren

Postby Denise on July 13th, 2008, 11:26 pm

We may have to resort to a cheesecake bribe :twisted:
Denise

Postby wren on July 13th, 2008, 11:29 pm

Jill lives only 15 minutes from The Cheesecake Factory! Maybe she is willing to take a little drive... :twisted:
wren

Postby Denise on July 13th, 2008, 11:36 pm

I live only 2 miles from The Cheesecake Factory! I almost forgot about it because I personally don't like cheesecake more than one or two bites. And the restaurant, here, is on the pricey side.
Denise

Postby Mr Spice on July 14th, 2008, 9:29 am

There are two reasons for not wanting email addresses posted. 1/ There are robot programs which trawl the net looking for them to add them to spam or phishing lists. It's bad enough that this kind of thing happens at all and I'm certainly not going to make it any easier for them. 2/ We don't know everyone who signs up to the forum and so we can't guarantee that there aren't any strange or dangerous individuals lurking in the background. Bear in mind that as a forum for a romance writer this is entirely possible and if you ever saw any of the letters Lynsay receives from prisoners (romance novels are one of the genres that prisoners in the US are allowed to read - and this is in men's institutions) then you would be doubly concerned.

As for the private messaging, we have deliberately turned this off. The reasoning is that since we host the forum and therefore have the ultimate responsibility for what happens here, we have taken the decision ensure we are able to monitor everything that happens here and, should it become necessary, we can act accordingly if anything becomes amiss. Private messaging is exactly what it says it is - private - and we have no control over what goes on. Having seen seen examples of the kind of unacceptable conduct which happens on other forums where the messaging system is used for exchanging insults and other forms of bad behaviour, we decided - even though I'm sure we don't have anyone here who would resort to such pathetic and immature behaviour - to disable the function so that no one could end up being on the receiving end of the actions of some malicious individual.

I appreciate that this is a little inconvenient but it makes me feel better knowing that I'm doing everything possible to prevent Lynsay's message board falling into the kind of disharmony that often occurs on internet forums and chat rooms.
"A heavy snowfall,
They are just about to close
The great gate of the barrier"

Yosa Buson (1716-1783)
Mr Spice
Site Admin

Postby wren on July 14th, 2008, 9:47 am

I have seen those kinds of insults and bad behavior happening, Mr. Spice. It was on a forum that was not moderated, but it also spilled over into the private messaging. It was an ugly and hurtful situation for the people involved. I was fortunate to not be a part of it, and since I was new I could just quietly leave that forum. I never want to be on an unmoderated forum again. Also, I know that scams can occur from prisons. I understand your concerns, and thank you for taking the time to explain your reasons. I wish it could be different, but it's better to be safe! I won't bother you & Lynsay or Terri about it anymore! Thank you.

wren... :)
wren

Postby Denise on July 14th, 2008, 8:46 pm

I understand completely. I'm just trying to find an alternate way of making contact with people when we want to get in touch with them, and still honor your wishes. I think I may start a companion non-discussion yahoo group (we can discuss here), stictly monitored, membership with approval and specific rules. Would that be acceptable?
Denise

Next

Return to General Discussion