Needing ideas for a Name -ideas please

Needing ideas for a Name -ideas please

Postby lisa on January 15th, 2012, 9:38 am

My sister is soon to adopt a tibetian terrier puppy, and can't think of a name. If you have any ideas please help us out! She now has 2 cats named Smokey and Bandit, and is adding this cute lil male puppy to the zoo!
lisa

Re: Needing ideas for a Name -ideas please

Postby grlnxtdr29 on January 15th, 2012, 11:48 am

Well, does she want to stick with a Movie themed name? Or would she preffer a name more befitting his Breed?
grlnxtdr29

Postby susan60625 on January 15th, 2012, 1:45 pm

I looked on-line for a English-Tibetan dictionary and tried a few different words. I'm sorry but I have no idea how to pronounce their language! When I looked up the word "dog", what came up was "khyi". I don't know how that is pronounced but it looks similar to the English name of Kai. That sounds interesting to me. Maybe she could consider that.
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby lisa on January 15th, 2012, 7:08 pm

Thanks for the help Susan! I passed on the info, maybe, i don't know what she will pick. The tibetian terrier looks kinda like a lasha apso but a little bigger. It will be a long haired type dog. I am trying to suggest Teddy, but don't know what she will pick. There is the official name for papers, then there is the call name that you teach to answer to when called. She is trying to supply the breeder with both names for the papers and she hasn't got the dog yet, so that is part of the problem. We have always named pets after meeting them in the past after seeing what the personality is going to be. Look up pics of tibetian terriers and you will see what the dog breed looks like.
lisa

Postby lisa on January 15th, 2012, 7:17 pm

BTW, we had a great-uncle named Kai, and it is a gaelic name, which is a plus, since we can't pronounce the tibetian names we managed to find on the searches we did on google. She likes to go to the Highland Games, and has also been looking at Scottish names but she is having a problem deciding. She was a fan of one of the speakers at the games who passed of a heart attack a couple of years ago that was the author David R Ross. He was a fantastic enthusiastic man who always taught something new about the heritage and a fantastic patriot of Scottish history. When I suggested Sir Davy Ross as the name she was afraid someone would take it as an insult to name a dog after a person. If you ever have to research historical figures from scottish history, see if he wrote a book on them, he always made them seem like real people, not dry as dust facts and figures.
lisa

Postby grlnxtdr29 on January 15th, 2012, 9:17 pm

Lisa, I did look up pictures of the breed online. I thought thay were so CUTE! I want one now, and I'm not really a fan of smaller breeds. I Preffer large breeds like German Shepherds and Labs. For the Official name on papers, a lot of people in the Dog show circuits name dogs after Famous Historical people, as well as royalty, so Sir Davey Ross would be appropriate for the Paper name, and for his Call name you could simply Call him Davey.
grlnxtdr29

Postby susan60625 on January 15th, 2012, 10:34 pm

Lisa, I've been a big fan of dog shows (on TV) for a long time, so I immediately knew what a Tibetan Terrier looks like. They are cute little dogs that at one time were used to help guard the monasteries of Tibet. Is your sister looking to show the dog or is she just looking for "pet-quality"? Personally, I wouldn't care less if the dog was not of show-quality or not. I base my opinion on a dog on its personality. Once your sister gets the dog, let us know what kind of personality that breed has. I've never known anyone who has had that breed before. Of course, all breeds have good dogs and bad dogs, but I'm curious about the general personality of that breed.
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby sin on January 15th, 2012, 11:01 pm

Lisa I had a neighbor who was a cop and named his Rotti Justice. If she is sticking to the Smokey & the Bandit theme it may be a way to go. Sounds better than Buford..LOl

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby lisa on January 16th, 2012, 8:34 am

She is looking for a pet quality dog! All previous family dogs have been mutts, so this is our first experience with "papers" thing. I have watched dog shows on tv for years, and even went to a dog show that is annual in our area several years ago. It was a blast if you like dogs. I have admired the Tibetian Terrier for years but didn't dream she would like a them also. I loaned her several books when she went on her dog deciding mission on several different breeds. I think the book description, as well as the vague resemblance to a dog we had in our childhood was the big draw. I will let you know about the temperament after we get him, and he outgrows his puppy phase.
lisa

Postby lisa on January 24th, 2012, 6:12 am

Right now the personality is best described as ALL PUPPY! Everything is a chew toy and everything is a new experience! Is learning about puppy pee pads, collars/harness and leashes and walkies outside! Has a very squirmy wiggly solid body. Will be a muscular lil doggie with cuteness factor to the max! Will let you know later about true personality as right now everything is puppy type behavior! Oh when displeased he can yodel with the best of them!
lisa

Next

Return to General Discussion