Weekend plans?

Weekend plans?

Postby DarkLilac on July 18th, 2008, 7:57 pm

I am kidless this weekend(insert frantic dancing smilie here!). I have no idea what we are going to do. My husband is a boring bump on a log and hates going to clubs, or anything where people are. I was quite the party girl when I was younger...and hope to get him up and out one of these times!
If we do anything it will probably be just dinner and a movie, and then come home and drink ourselves drunk while playing the xbox 360. :lol: oh the lives of boring married parents. LOL.(our 10th anniversary is this december!)

So what are you all doing? Anything special?
DarkLilac

Re: Weekend plans?

Postby wren on July 18th, 2008, 9:42 pm

Going to buy a vehicle of some kind tomorrow, as needs must!! It has been two weeks since a car accident totaled my van, and the insurance has finally settled the claim. (The other driver hit a slick on the road in the rain, went into a spin & hit my van. Both vehicles were total losses, but at least both drivers were not hurt.)

Then, dear hubby gets to spend the rest of the week-end working more overtime...not his choice, but has to be done! All he has done lately is work!! Soooo...since he only has one day off this week-end, tomorrow will be very busy, and then who knows? :cry:
wren

Postby lisa on July 19th, 2008, 5:59 am

Wren please let me know what kind of vehicle you end up with. My 11 year old Saturn has to be checked out this weekend at the shop for overheating. I may have to end up looking for a car earlier than I wanted to if it cant be repaired. I have NO IDEA what kind of car to look for if I have to replace it, and would like to hear if anyone could recommend a good car. My ideal car could run well and fast, sip gasoline, and hold 5 adult people ( with big butts)! I dont think such a car exists that I wont have to give up something! I HATE CAR SHOPPING!!!!! Good Luck in your search.
lisa

Postby wren on July 19th, 2008, 9:02 am

Will do, lisa. The Frog Prince and I had already been looking for something economical for him to commute to work, so he had been researching vehicles before the car accident. There are a couple on our list to look at that are very similar to watch you describe needing. I'll get back to you once we've made the deal, and tell you what I thought were the best options. :D It will be a long day once we get started, because we have to get it accomplished today!!Image
wren

Postby DarkLilac on July 19th, 2008, 10:21 am

wren wrote:Going to buy a vehicle of some kind tomorrow, as needs must!! It has been two weeks since a car accident totaled my van, and the insurance has finally settled the claim. (The other driver hit a slick on the road in the rain, went into a spin & hit my van. Both vehicles were total losses, but at least both drivers were not hurt.)

Then, dear hubby gets to spend the rest of the week-end working more overtime...not his choice, but has to be done! All he has done lately is work!! Soooo...since he only has one day off this week-end, tomorrow will be very busy, and then who knows? :cry:

I'm so glad that you are ok!!! I just bought an 08 Nissan Maxima back in October last year. I love it! I'm not sure of your price range, but if you want a small luxury car, that is an awesome choice. Lifetime powertrain warranty too!!! We'll have it at least until my older son drives in about 6 years, then he's going to get that car and I get to have my sports car! LOL. The Maxima was our trade off because I wanted the sports car and hubby wanted the luxury car. It's kind of both, since it has the CVT and the extra $900 for some type of traction control option for the turns.
Definitely let us know what you get!
DarkLilac

Postby DarkLilac on July 19th, 2008, 10:23 am

wren wrote:Will do, lisa. The Frog Prince and I had already been looking for something economical for him to commute to work, so he had been researching vehicles before the car accident. There are a couple on our list to look at that are very similar to watch you describe needing. I'll get back to you once we've made the deal, and tell you what I thought were the best options. :D It will be a long day once we get started, because we have to get it accomplished today!!Image

Have you thought of a scooter or motorcycle for him? I was leary about hubby getting one a few years ago, but I'm glad he did now with the gas prices. His motorcycle gets 35-42 mpg! Cruisers get even more(Hubby has a ZX14...a "crotchrocket" or a sport bike as some call it). He loves it to death...and yes, always wears his gear and his helmet. And not to mention it gives him a hobby to get out of my hair! I owned my own as well up until a few weeks ago.
DarkLilac

Postby KimberlyK on July 19th, 2008, 11:07 am

It's been a quite a few years since we bought our last new vehicle but it was a 2000 Toyota Sienna minivan and we have never had any serious problems with it. We hit a deer once but that only caused cosmetic damages. Just on Thursday was the first time we had anything break or wear out. I have to have the ignition and related parts replaced.

Have you ever had your steering wheel lock up, where the key won't turn. You can usually jiggle it as you turn the wheel as hard as you can and it will eventually unfreeze. Well, this time it didn't. I went over and asked some young muscular looking guys for help thinking I just needed some extra brute force but they had no luck as well. So I had to call my husband and have him look up the number for the dealership and they didn't know what to tell me beyond the usual jiggling.

So I had to call AAA and they sent a tow truck out and they had to drag the van onto the flatbed because you couldn't even shift gear. Anyway, from what they told me, something broke inside the cylindar (lock mechanism) so the whole thing has to be replaced. Almost $800! Can you believe it? *sigh* At least this happened here and not while we were driving to Connecticut which we will be doing in just a couple weeks. The kids and I were actually in the parking lot next to the downtown fountain so while we were waiting I just sent them back into the water to play. The only bad thing was that I forgot to reapply their sunscreen so they all became a bit sunburned. They were red the next day but it wasn't painful.

Sorry to go off on a tangent but my point originally was to say the Toyotas are extremely reliable. This was the first thing to break in 8 years. What we did first when we bought it was to get the latest issue of Consumer Reports magazine that dealt with minivans and researched it using that. It's a monthly magazine and will focus on one vehicle type (minivan, SUV, auto, station wagon) every issue or few issues but they also have a separate annual guide to vehicles that you can probably find at a good bookstore. They also have a website but you have to pay a fee to view the stuff online.

We've used Consumer Reports whenever we buy a major item (stereo equiptment, cell phone, vaccuum cleaner, etc) and we've always had good success.

Good luck!

Kimberly

P.S. We also used edmunds.com which is a website for new and used cars. They have reviews, prices (blue book value which is good for knowing what your trade-in is worth), ratings,etc. It was great because people posted on there what they paid and how they haggled to get a better deal.
KimberlyK

Postby DarkLilac on July 19th, 2008, 8:21 pm

Edmunds is a great place to start. And if you deal with the internet salesman with whichever company you go with, you will get a better deal and save yourself from sitting hours at the dealership. Give them a price, and pretty much tell them take it or leave it. You have so much power in your hands these days with car purchases because of gas prices.
DarkLilac

Postby Copper on July 19th, 2008, 8:27 pm

continuing my New York experience and am driving to cape may this weekend to get some beach time while im in such a hot and sunny place :D ....

traffic was really bad the whole trip like 20mph most of the way in a car with no air conditioning :(
AEA Sister European Council/enforcer contact
The Sisterhood of the Travelling Fangs
Copper

Postby lisa on July 19th, 2008, 8:38 pm

I am sooooo thrilled! They got my car fixed! It was overheating due to some sort of fan( which they replaced). I DONT HAVE TO go car shopping. I hate car shopping, and I keep my cars FOREVER! I have only had 3 cars in my life and I get very attatched to them. Also hate trying to find switches and buttons while driving as I am kind of klutzy. I probably will have to by one in next 6 months or so but not right now. At least this way I can keep looking and not be pressured into making purchase in a hurry. I drive to work daily (No buses my schedule), and dont want a gas guzzler. I think that the prius cars are so cute, but everyone seems to be buying them up quickley due to high gas prices. Didnt want to spend too much currently. I prayed over whether I should buy car or not right now and since car was fixable I was relieved not to have to shop. Wren, were you able to find the perfect vehicle?
lisa

Next

Return to General Discussion