Historical phrases that wind up in your own vocab...

Historical phrases that wind up in your own vocab...

Postby Denise on February 29th, 2012, 12:54 am

I know we either spoke about this on the old forum or maybe it was one of the other author forums I used to frequent, but I have to share this story with you.

I had gone to lunch with several friends from church the other day and we were talking about our kids birthdays. I had made a comment about how long we had been married and then proceeded to put my daughter's birthday in a year prior to that. I promptly caught my mess up and said "Whoa, that's not right, that would have put her being born on the wrong side of the blanket" and the ladies at the table cackled. They had never heard that phrase used before. They could tell what it meant, but were quite tickled by the turn of phrase. I just thought it was funny that they had never heard it before. Weird how phrases fall out of usage so easily.
Denise

Re: Historical phrases that wind up in your own vocab...

Postby TomEC on March 1st, 2012, 3:27 am

That is interesting. I can't remember if I've ever heard that expression before myself but it's easy enough to figure out what it means.

This is a subject I could go on and on about but it's difficult to be a boring windbag this late at night. I'm sure I can eventually come up with some sort of contribution to this thread.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Re: Historical phrases that wind up in your own vocab...

Postby Denise on March 1st, 2012, 4:27 pm

I guess that's a phrase used often in historical romances.
Denise

Return to General Discussion