Well, this is...Awkward....

Well, this is...Awkward....

Postby grlnxtdr29 on May 11th, 2012, 6:37 pm

Ok, so as I mentioned in another thread, Hubby has been in the Hospital Since wednesday. Well earlier tonight, I get a phone call. Hubby has Influenza type B. I'm thinking ok, what does That mean? Then they tell me that the kids and I have been exposed, and we need to contact our Dr. Immediately, and to warn anyone else who may have been exposed to do the same. So I have to call anyone I've been in contact with since Monday and let them know to contact their Dr. So, Wednesday was my Son's school trip to the Zoo. Guess who Volunteered to chaperone? So now I have to call the school and let them know that every student, teacher, and parent on the trip needs to call their Doctor. Not Looking forward to that....

Oh, and I need to call my Daughter's school and let them know, too, especially since she goes to school with all special needs children.
grlnxtdr29

Re: Well, this is...Awkward....

Postby Lynsay on May 11th, 2012, 11:49 pm

Hmmm....well, jeez, it almost sounds scary. Whats the difference between influenza and influenza type b?

My sympathies though if it means you're all going to come down with a nasty flu. Sheesh. Let us know when you know what's happening. And don't worry about embarrassment. Goodness, it's the flu not an std. Heck, I've been sick with the flu all week. Nasty thing. Terry breathed it at me I think. That or someone else breathed it at both of us and she just caught it first...hmmm...me with a better immune system than the Terror?! NEVER!

Lynsay, who's just starting to feel like she might survive.
PS. I'm a whiner when sick. LOL
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby grlnxtdr29 on May 12th, 2012, 8:24 am

I had to do some research last night to figure it out myself. Apparently there are 3 types of Influenza, A, B, and C. The one most people get is C, which can be miserable, but rarely life threatening unless there are other complications (Smoking, asthma, etc..). Type A is the worst. It can be Fatal in infants, the elderly, and people with other contributing factors. Type B is somewhere in between. Out breaks occur every 4-5 years, because the strain mutates everytime it comes into contact with someone new. When you get your Flu shots, you are getting a vaccine for the most common strain of Type, as well as for type C. The problem is since it keeps mutating, the vaccine doesn't always prevent it. I can't get the flu shot, because I am allergic to the syrum they use. The Kids were supposed to get their shots last August, but there was shortage of the vaccine and they never got it. Hubby DID get the shot, but he apparently still got it. We think my Son may have brought it home from school, because he was sick earlier this week, although not as bad as Daddy. My Daughter started showing symptoms last night, and this morning I woke up with a Fever and Body aches. Since the kids and I are in realitively good health, there's not really alot to be worried about. But Hubby already Had Bronchitus when he got infected, so it's hitting him pretty hard, which is why he'll probably be in the hospital atleast till Monday or Tuesday.
grlnxtdr29

Postby TomEC on May 12th, 2012, 1:26 pm

Geez, that's too bad. You have my sympathies as well, gnd. Lynsay's right, there is absolutely no reason to feel embarrassed by this.

I found some comfort in a news story I saw recently. Apparently a team from the University of British Columbia is close to discovering a universal vaccine that can immunize us from the flu no matter how much it mutates. The idea came from the discovery that the ‘swine flu’ vaccine, the 2009 H1N1 variety, triggered antibodies that protected against many influenza viruses - even the lethal ‘bird flu’ strain. This is because, rather than attacking the variable head, the antibodies attacked the stem, neutralizing the flu virus. The upshot of this is that this discovery could pave the way to developing universal flu vaccines that would not need to be updated each year, and, more importantly, could provide a lifetime of protection from many viruses. I think even people with allergies like yours would still be protected if the people around them were immunized.

Here's a link if you'd care to read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2142229/Researchers-closer-universal-flu-vaccine-fight-version-virus.html
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby grlnxtdr29 on May 12th, 2012, 4:33 pm

Thanks, Tom. I hope they find a cure! That would be Awesome! Only thing that would be better was if they Invented Nanos to keep us Healthy and Strong
grlnxtdr29

Postby ~Linda~ on May 14th, 2012, 9:57 am

Eeeek that sounds awful, I hope everyone will be fine. I feel for ya having to contact the schools, awkward indeed.. Wishing you and yours No Flu *crosses fingers*

grlnxtdr29 wrote:Ok, so as I mentioned in another thread, Hubby has been in the Hospital Since wednesday. Well earlier tonight, I get a phone call. Hubby has Influenza type B. I'm thinking ok, what does That mean? Then they tell me that the kids and I have been exposed, and we need to contact our Dr. Immediately, and to warn anyone else who may have been exposed to do the same. So I have to call anyone I've been in contact with since Monday and let them know to contact their Dr. So, Wednesday was my Son's school trip to the Zoo. Guess who Volunteered to chaperone? So now I have to call the school and let them know that every student, teacher, and parent on the trip needs to call their Doctor. Not Looking forward to that....

Oh, and I need to call my Daughter's school and let them know, too, especially since she goes to school with all special needs children.
The world is so Backasswards
It makes me wish I was
DYSLEXIC!
~Linda~

Postby ~Linda~ on May 14th, 2012, 10:00 am

Poor Lynsay and Terry, I hope you feel better soon...

Lynsay wrote:Hmmm....well, jeez, it almost sounds scary. Whats the difference between influenza and influenza type b?

My sympathies though if it means you're all going to come down with a nasty flu. Sheesh. Let us know when you know what's happening. And don't worry about embarrassment. Goodness, it's the flu not an std. Heck, I've been sick with the flu all week. Nasty thing. Terry breathed it at me I think. That or someone else breathed it at both of us and she just caught it first...hmmm...me with a better immune system than the Terror?! NEVER!

Lynsay, who's just starting to feel like she might survive.
PS. I'm a whiner when sick. LOL
The world is so Backasswards
It makes me wish I was
DYSLEXIC!
~Linda~

Return to General Discussion