Worst printing mistake I've ever found in a book!!

Re: Worst printing mistake I've ever found in a book!!

Postby Denise on December 1st, 2008, 11:11 pm

Forum/message board/email/whatever stuff doesn't bug me, no problem at all. I'd never want anyone to feel they weren't welcome because of things like that, not at all! And I hope no one interpreted my comments that way. As for teachers and publishers, maybe my expectations are too high. But that's me, slightly O.C. and a bit of a perfectionist. Yes, I have faults and admit them fully.

So I'll just leave this subject with an apology to anyone who may have taken my comments as criticism of them. They weren't. I was just expounding on a point of agreement with Cathy.
Denise

Postby wren on December 2nd, 2008, 5:45 am

I also don't want my comments to be taken as not expecting high standards from teachers or publishers, and certainly not as a personal attack on anyone's opinions. We are only open for serious discussion like this, even though it is harder to convey "tone" on a forum, because we are respectful of one another.

I agree that it is very important that teachers do everything they can to reach every child and give them the skills needed for excellent communication. I just wanted to point out how daunting that task can be at times, and how often we parents and others aren't involved in making sure a child's work is being accomplished and that the child is correcting the mistakes and understanding the concept. For parents who can't help because they don't have the skills, there are agencies and tutors available. Often a teacher or the school office can help find what is needed. Most teachers do appreciate it when a parent/guradian or a person who is retired volunteers & gets involved, either with their own child's/grandchild's needs or helping in the classroom to grade papers or be an extra set of hands for a project, even if it is just one day per month. Each school district has it's own policies as far as screening those who volunteer to help or tutor.

I also realize that not every parent is in a position to go to a school and help, as they may work during school hours or have younger children at home. However, check your child's work carefully, and make sure it is corrected before going back to school the next day. Better to emphasize good work habits and doing the work correctly the first time, than to let them get by with sloppy work and not learning the correct skills. Sometimes you find that the child doesn't understand the concept that has been taught. The point of homework is "practice" to enforce the concepts to be learned. If the "practice" ends up being sloppy or incorrect work, the whole point of the lesson & the homework has been lost.

As for publishers, I too want to see the highest standards and I know since we want a high literacy rate, it is not acceptable to have glaring errors. I also don't want to own books that aren't well made. Because of some limitations due to my health, I have learned to be less of a perfectionist than I was previously. Okay, I admit that I was a micromanager! Every detail had to be perfect! :lol: Having a chronic illness has helped me be a little less of a perfectionist, because I don't have a choice. I still struggle with it, but it's become easier now to let go of some of whatever I judge to be the smaller irritations. It's not the way I would have chosen, but then sometimes I think it has been a good lesson in my case. At least now, I don't work myself almost to exhaustion trying to perform the impossible! <biggrin> For me, it has come about that the blessings of having to deal with not being "perfect," even when I want to be, have made me more understanding & more compassionate of other people and their problems, so the trade-off has been helpful in many ways.

I suggest contacting the editor and publisher if you continuously get inferior products. Give them specific examples of poor spelling/grammar in the books...those that aren't just printing mistakes...after all, they need to find good proofreaders! ;) Also, large book chains send books and other materials to be reviewed by someone...Who knows? It may be that it is a calling for some of us to be proofreaders or reviewers in the future if we do have the good communication skills to pick up on these kinds of errors! It is an important job, as the media as a whole...not just the publishing industry, does not give us good examples so much of the time.

I apologise if any of my comments gave offense to anyone, and welcome everyone's opinion. That has always been Lynsay's standard on this forum, which is why we are warm and cozy friends here. Btw, to Cathy & Denise, I knew you were just expressing the frustration of not seeing higher quality, both with education and publishing, and it's much better to have high expectations than to not care! For that, I commend you both!! :D
wren

Postby lisa on December 2nd, 2008, 8:23 pm

I am actually a proof reader. :lol: Really I am-just not for books. I proofread car title applications for misspelled names, addresses, liens left off of applications, and transposed VIN #s. However Im not the greatest typist in the world, and not that great a speller. (We dont really want to talk about grammer ) I think I was out the day that they taught diagraming a sentence. I really dont think I had heard of it til I was in high school Spanish class! ( If you cant diagram in English, Spanish is a lost cause) I figured out by comparing notes with my sisters who had gone to the same elementary school and my cousin who had gone to a different school that the teachers in 3rd or 4th grade just didnt teach that in class. My school was so small they only had one teacher/class per grade, so it was never taught as far as we can figure out at our elementary school. Sorry, Im ramblin here, just thought it was funny as I read the topic of discussion.
lisa

Postby lisa on December 2nd, 2008, 8:50 pm

Errr... BTW Lynsay, if you would like me to double check names etc in your books, I would be happy to help, really I would. :lol: I bet Wren would love to double check the grammer for you. We really wouldnt mind at all. Just something to keep in mind in case your regular proofreaders need a vacation. :)
lisa

Postby sin on December 2nd, 2008, 9:07 pm

Lisa..a number of us have "offered" to help her out...but alas sadly we have not been offered yet..{big sigh}..but we do love to offer occasionally..lol

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby lisa on December 3rd, 2008, 6:00 pm

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :lol:
lisa

Postby Lynsay on December 8th, 2008, 9:45 am

There are tons of edits done on the books before they hit the printer's. I edit, Dave edits, Terri edits, my editor edits twice and a copy editor edits and then three of us proof them at the same time in the final draft. The problem is that you get caught up in the story and see what you want or expect to see rather than what's there. Like friend and freind, when flying through the story, you can miss it and see it the way it's supposed to be rather than the typo. I used to get very frustrated and upset, but I just had to let it go. I'm not perfect, my editor's not perfect, the copy-editor's not perfect, mistakes will happen. Shrug. I do the best I can and leave it at that.

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby ~Linda~ on December 8th, 2008, 11:07 pm

Lynsay wrote:There are tons of edits done on the books before they hit the printer's. I edit, Dave edits, Terri edits, my editor edits twice and a copy editor edits and then three of us proof them at the same time in the final draft. The problem is that you get caught up in the story and see what you want or expect to see rather than what's there. Like friend and freind, when flying through the story, you can miss it and see it the way it's supposed to be rather than the typo. I used to get very frustrated and upset, but I just had to let it go. I'm not perfect, my editor's not perfect, the copy-editor's not perfect, mistakes will happen. Shrug. I do the best I can and leave it at that.

Lynsay

Lucky for me I get caught up in the story and will probably never notice LOL :shock:
The world is so Backasswards
It makes me wish I was
DYSLEXIC!
~Linda~

Postby lisa on December 9th, 2008, 6:36 am

I guess everyone has seen those paragraphs where the first and last letters in the words are correct but everything is jumbled in the middle. There is a scientific explanation always given that the mind just follows the flow of the story or information and the errors really dont register unless you are looking for them ( and sometimes they still dont register). :roll: I just think everyone has their own pet peeves to look for :shock: and the other errors ( if any ) dont really register on our particular brains as wrong. I think that is why everybody catches different errors as they read. I really dont see that many errors in your books Lynsay. Everyone is doing a great job. I was just trying to mooch some answers to upcoming books. :oops: But if anyone does need a little break -Im sure you know where to find some temp proofreaders. :lol:
lisa

Postby MysticFan on June 30th, 2011, 2:56 am

I was looking through old threads and reading old post and found this one. The worst printing mistake I have ever found in a book was not actually with the printing but with the pages. You will never guess what book it was... ‘A Quick Bite’. The back chapters of the book were bound together where the pages were permanently bent in the dog-ear fashion, but way worse, folding half way down the page. I ordered the book from Borders and I can't believe they actually sent that one... it is very noticeable. I didn't send it back though. I was in way to big of a hurry to read it so just maneuvered around the mistake...lol It's really nothing to complain about though, Lynsay's great writing made up for the mistake by far! :D
"Life can't always be cheesecake."-Elvi Black

MysticFan

Previous

Return to General Discussion