Quirky Question Replies

Re: Quirky Question Replies

Postby Stauri on May 30th, 2008, 4:40 pm

Shaa, Western style is where the saddle horn is high and in the front center of the saddle, you have one leg on each side of the horse and the saddle horn, which would require a western style saddle, like you see in rodeo's, and most television westerns. This is where most cattle grovers set their reins when resting or where the lasso is held. Designed to give cattlemen and rodeo contestants a more balanced ride and to keep from falling off.

English style is where the saddle horn sits in the center but is slightly back away from the front edge of the saddle. The rider places the left leg in the stirrup and usually the right leg is placed in front of the saddle horn, and draped to the left as well. This was the preferred style for women over the ages, some still use the tradition. I've only rode english style once and almost fell out of the saddle. Look at some of the Jane Austen movies or some period pieces they show women riding side saddle, as it's referred to, not hard to miss although the saddle is not visible due to the long gowns.

I'm no expert, but this is just from experience, having used both.

All the reasonings of men are not worth one sentiment of women. - Voltaire
User avatar
Posts: 407
Joined: May 7th, 2008, 8:17 am
Location: Somewhere in the woods of Tomball (a suburb of Houston), TX

Re: Quirky Question Replies

Postby Denise on May 31st, 2008, 12:50 am

Well, to see the difference compare an equestrian event with a rodeo parade. The tack is completely different, reining is different and the way one sits the horse can be vastly different, depending on how much posting (bobbing up and down) an English rider uses.
User avatar
Posts: 2358
Joined: May 7th, 2008, 9:06 am
Location: Oklahoma


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests