English As A Second Language

Re: English As A Second Language

Postby MsKitty on December 18th, 2009, 11:35 pm

karen223 wrote:
Mr Spice wrote:
MsKitty wrote:lol! Ok then if 'poke' is a sack then what is 'Poke-Salad'??

Polk salad, on the other hand, is a plant that grows in the south of the USA and is apparently toxic, but can be eaten before it's fully grown and if cooked correctly. Hey, live dangerously and why not serve it up with a slice of that poisonous Japanese fish and double the thrill level.

I am a Connecticut Yankee currently living in the southern USA and know polk salad well. :P It's really good with cornbread. My southern husband, however, won't touch the stuff. Tastes a lot like spinach. The toxic idea comes from the fact that if not well boiled it can cause shall we call it "Intestinal urgency" :oops:

Intestinal urgency!! Bwaaa hahaaaaa!! Love it!! For some reason I thought it was water melon (don 't ask me why..).

As tasty as your 'Poke' Salad sounds Mr.Spice.. I like the idea of living dangerously!! Poke Salat & Japanese fish it is!!
Ms Kitty - AEA Sister & Australian Council Enforcer Contact
MsKitty

Postby Mr Spice on December 19th, 2009, 11:12 am

MsKitty wrote: I like the idea of living dangerously!! Poke Salad & Japanese fish it is!!

Keep in mind that, with the combination of the "intestinal urgency" of the poke salad and the "total muscle paralysis while still remaining conscious" effect of the fish poison, there is some potential for public embarrassment. Along with spaghetti, this is not a dish that I would recommend as being suitable for anyone on a first date.
"A heavy snowfall,
They are just about to close
The great gate of the barrier"

Yosa Buson (1716-1783)
Mr Spice
Site Admin

Postby wren on December 19th, 2009, 11:58 am

Mr Spice wrote:
MsKitty wrote: I like the idea of living dangerously!! Poke Salad & Japanese fish it is!!

Keep in mind that, with the combination of the "intestinal urgency" of the poke salad and the "total muscle paralysis while still remaining conscious" effect of the fish poison, there is some potential for public embarrassment. Along with spaghetti, this is not a dish that I would recommend as being suitable for anyone on a first date.

Mr Spice & MsKitty, I'd rather not live dangerously by eating the poke salad and/or Japanese fish at any time. Like Karen's southern hubby, there are some southern delicacies for which I don't have a taste. Maybe it's because I don't care for cooked spinach, either. Image {shrug} I do love spaghetti and happily eat it anytime, especially since I'm past any 'first dates' with my dear frog prince, who happens to make excellent spaghetti. :D I give him full credit for being the better chef in the family, although I do have a few specialties ~ though poke salad is not one of them!

I can see Lynsay taking these 'delicacies' and creating a very humorous incident out of them in a book. :lol:

wren

Postby wren on December 19th, 2009, 12:06 pm

MsKitty wrote:Intestinal urgency!! Bwaaa hahaaaaa!! Love it!! For some reason I thought it was water melon (don 't ask me why..).

My dear MsKitty, have you ever had watermelon? A watermelon is something to eat with Joy! If you eat it southern-style, it probably is another of those foods to not have on a first date, though! :lol: Hmmm...I really wouldn't care as he would have to be very special to get between me & my watermelon! *giggle*
wren

Postby susan60625 on December 19th, 2009, 12:11 pm

wren wrote:
MsKitty wrote:Intestinal urgency!! Bwaaa hahaaaaa!! Love it!! For some reason I thought it was water melon (don 't ask me why..).

My dear MsKitty, have you ever had watermelon? A watermelon is something to eat with Joy! If you eat it southern-style, it probably is another of those foods to not have on a first date, though! :lol: Hmmm...I really wouldn't care as he would have to be very special to get between me & my watermelon! *giggle*

Okay, Wren. What is eating watermelon "southern-style?" I've had it in slices, in chunks, and with salt (didn't like that!). I've even taken a watermelon, cut a hole in the top and let a bottle of vodka drain into it, then cut it up (YUM!). But I've never heard of southern-style!
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby wren on December 19th, 2009, 12:58 pm

susan60625 wrote:
wren wrote:

Okay, Wren. What is eating watermelon "southern-style?" I've had it in slices, in chunks, and with salt (didn't like that!). I've even taken a watermelon, cut a hole in the top and let a bottle of vodka drain into it, then cut it up (YUM!). But I've never heard of southern-style!

Image Sue, eating it southern-style involves having the watermelon cut into large wedges -not round slices or small triangle slices or chunks - and picking it up with your hands and biting it...and you just spit the seeds out! My dear older son said "You use your hands and face to eat the watermelon wedge. You can use a fork, but that isn't near as messy!" :lol: I don't have a way to draw it, so think of this smilie Image as half of a watermelon wedge...add one to it and shape it into a watermelon smile like this happy smilies mouth. :D

The other way to eat it is southern-farmer-style out in the fields...or just outside on a hot day. *grin* That's when you take a watermelon, sit under the nearest shade tree, and smash it open with your fist and eat what you want of it...I know that from my parents & grandparents who spent many hot days in a field picking whatever they had to pick, and a watermelon was a good way to cool off & rehydrate!

Yes, they do serve it in chunks or very small slices in the south too. I've also made 'watermelon boats, (cut the watermelon lengthwise & scoop out each half - cut the scooped part into small seedless chunks,) add other melon chunks (cantaloupe, honeydew) pineapple chunks, grapes, berries, put back into the 'boats' and then pour rum over them. Chill & serve!

Oh, and in my seldom humble opinion, although some southerners do so, putting salt on watermelon just ain't fittin' & ruins a perfectly good watermelon! ;)
wren

Postby Mr Spice on December 20th, 2009, 2:14 am

wren wrote:I can see Lynsay taking these 'delicacies' and creating a very humorous incident out of them in a book. :lol:

You should ask her about the ketchup incident which happened when we were in Germany a few years ago. I still laugh about it when she's not looking.
"A heavy snowfall,
They are just about to close
The great gate of the barrier"

Yosa Buson (1716-1783)
Mr Spice
Site Admin

Postby wren on December 21st, 2009, 12:04 pm

Mr Spice wrote:
wren wrote:I can see Lynsay taking these 'delicacies' and creating a very humorous incident out of them in a book. :lol:

You should ask her about the ketchup incident which happened when we were in Germany a few years ago. I still laugh about it when she's not looking.

Okay, I moved it to the Questions for Lynsay thread & asked! Hope she sees it! :lol:
wren

Postby MsKitty on January 13th, 2010, 6:28 am

Watermelon! Watermelon! I love You Love Watermelon!!

There is a photo of me as a very litle girl sitting infront of a large half eaten watermelon on newspaper. just in my knickers and not only is my face/chest/hands/arms & legs covered in watermelon... my tummy is soo round & tight - it looks like it could burst!!

Yuumm!! Definately 1st date food!!
Ms Kitty - AEA Sister & Australian Council Enforcer Contact
MsKitty

Postby wren on January 13th, 2010, 8:30 am

MsKitty wrote:Watermelon! Watermelon! I love You Love Watermelon!!

There is a photo of me as a very litle girl sitting infront of a large half eaten watermelon on newspaper. just in my knickers and not only is my face/chest/hands/arms & legs covered in watermelon... my tummy is soo round & tight - it looks like it could burst!!

Yuumm!! Definately 1st date food!!

Yep...that's the very best way to eat Watermelon! :D
wren

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion