Check ins

Re: Check ins

Postby sherr on April 24th, 2010, 5:23 pm

I hope they all check in soon and I hope they are all well. Thinking of you guys!
good girls don't make history and I plan on being very historical
sherr

Postby susan60625 on April 24th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Well, I don't know about Wren, but I did see Sin post on FB about a half hour ago. The storms are in Central Illinois, too. They think we'll just get showers with occasional heavier spurts, but nothing major -- just annoying!
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Just when you start to like him." C. Valens
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby sherr on April 24th, 2010, 6:20 pm

We are expecting rain tomorrow hopefully it will pass us by. :(
good girls don't make history and I plan on being very historical
sherr

Postby grlnxtdr29 on April 24th, 2010, 7:10 pm

Hey Sue, you live in Illinois too? We're in Reynolds, Illinois. Do you know where that is? I'd never heard of it till I married a Man from here.
grlnxtdr29

Postby wren on April 24th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Thankfully, we are okay. I had got out our "storm provisions" and will be restocking things I noticed needed it this week. (Remember, we live in "hurricane country.)

Fortunately, we didn't even get rain where we live in the south part of Warren County. It looked like a nice sunny spring day almost all day, except when the wind picked up a time or two, and then it got really still one time...that made me nervous, because of the "calm before the storm." However, just across the big Mississippi River in Louisiana there was a lot of damage to a small chemical plant and some surrounding homes, and then the huge tornado & storm crossed our border (Old Man River) and went across the north part of Warren County and it moved northeast into Yazoo County and then Holmes County, continuing its NE path. About 30 homes were flattened in Warren county and paramedics were able to treat minor injuries at the scene, but Yazoo City & County suffered major devastation and Holmes County had a lot of damage. Between those two counties, there are 10 people confirmed dead, and several with severe injuries moved to hospitals. Many homes & businesses are total losses. The storm is moving east of MS now.

sin called this evening to check on us, & what came through their part of Georgia today went north of them also. I haven't talked to GiGi, but she lives just a few hours drive east of sin, so from what sin described, it should have also gone north of them. Alabama (where my family lives on the coast) Georgia, North Carolina (rockie's home state) and South Carolina are expected to get storms & possible tornadoes tonight & tomorrow, and even North Florida could get rain & fallout from it. Rain would be good for all of us to settle all the pollen, but we would all prefer some gentle showers over stormy weather, kwim?

I saw that there could be tornadoes/storms in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, & Tennessee so hope all of you are well. I was in the middle of posting on the Argeneau word game this morning when the power went out, so I unplugged the computer and once we had electricity, kept watch on the weather channel. hmmm...I don't even know if my word got posted. :)

Everyone take care & be safe, and sending hugs & prayers to all! Thanks for thinking of me. I always know I can count on my forum family. My dear frog prince & knights-in-training have gone on to bed, so I think I'll follow....even a princess needs her beauty sleep. Especially this princess, so she can dream up a good hairstyle after spending the waiting hours of today looking through hairstyle magazines, as her very thick, coarse textured, ultra-body but too wavy hair will not do any of the sleek bob styles that are popular now {sigh} which she was hoping to achieve as it grew longer...not even with appropriate hair goo and a flat iron to straighten it...my hair is somewhere between straight and curly, so I have an appointment Monday with my incredible hairdresser to come up with something that will work for me. I know my hairstyle is not relative in the grand scheme of things, but it kept my mind off the scary stuff as I watched the "storm chasers" on the weather channel today (I appreciate what those people do, cause there isn't enough money anywhere for me to do that job!)

What is it with "face shapes" and hair? I can't seem to figure out my "face shape" and I don't think the hair magazines know either, as they described some actresses with one face shape in one of the magazines and the other one said something different. Oval, Round, Heart-Shaped, Oblong or Long, or Square...What's up with that? :D I would guess that this very happy smilie has a heart-shaped face...see how its chin kind of comes to a point...but as its not growing its hair out long, that's not a lot of help. Maybe it really has a square shaped face, but its big smile is making it appear to have a pointy chin, huh? Ideas, anyone? I'm up for mini-makeovers...a new thread topic would be good for various tips on hair & cosmetics & clothing fashions, including fun ideas for holidays, etc. Aside from losing weight, we then need to do things to "update ourselves" to keep a positive self-image. As my eyelids are droopy, I'll open a topic tomorrow!

Good-night and sweet dreams only, y'all! ♥ wren
wren

Postby Lynsay on April 25th, 2010, 1:50 am

Glad you're safe and sound Wren. Hope everyone else is too. I'm afraid I completely missed all the frufarau. Guess I need to turn on the bloody tv once in a while to catch the news. I have three of the darned things, it might be nice to watch them and see what's going on in the world. LOL

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby lisa on April 25th, 2010, 8:23 am

Ok here in my neck of the woods! Storm was mostly rain and more rain. There were tornado warnings in nearby counties, but not for the countly where I live. My lil sister called this am from middle TN and she is ok too. And Wren I understand about trying to distract yourself, I was watching Househusbands of Hollywood that I had recorded a few nights ago. As I live in a basement with no windows it is probably the best place in the house, but you cant see what is going on! My Mom was upstairs watching local tv with all the little watches and warnings coming across the screen, but she didnt come downstairs so it must have not scared her too much -she doesnt like cats near her so when she comes down I have to hold the litlle peepee princess on my lap or put her in another room.( so far only one incident of sofa soakin so far!, knock on wood) She cant understand how come her children like pets in the house! SHe said that must be theOther Side of the family comin out! She was very dismayed and puzzled when several family(other side) members brought their dogs to the last family reunion! There must have been over a hundred people there and all she saw was the 3 or 4 dogs on leashes! :lol: Sorry to ramble on, had worried about you all yesterday when I saw tornado /storm info about MS, Al, and Ga!
Last edited by lisa on April 25th, 2010, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lisa

Postby susan60625 on April 25th, 2010, 11:42 am

grlnxtdr29 wrote:Hey Sue, you live in Illinois too? We're in Reynolds, Illinois. Do you know where that is? I'd never heard of it till I married a Man from here.

Yeah, Grlnxtdr, I was born, raised and still reside in Chicago. No, I don't know where Reynolds is. But then again, if it's south or west of the Windy City, I'm not too familiar with it. North of here, I'm pretty good with because my family always vacationed in Wisconsin. The furthest west of the city I went is when my sister lived in Wheaton, although I did venture to DeKalb once or twice when she went to school there.

We had a very wet night last night. The wind was swirling in the courtyard of my apartment building, but it didn't even rattle the windows. We just got a good soaking, which is what we need so the super can get out and plant his flowers!
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Just when you start to like him." C. Valens
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby grlnxtdr29 on April 25th, 2010, 12:48 pm

Reynolds is near the Quad Cities. We Live in that part of Illinois where if you go North, west, or South, you end up in Iowa.
grlnxtdr29

Postby wren on April 25th, 2010, 7:24 pm

The devastation to Yazoo City & the surrounding area in Mississippi looks like the aftermath of our Gulf Coast when a major hurricane has come calling. It was the worst Tornado to hit in decades. :cry: If Governor Haley Barbour seems even sadder than usual as he deals with this emergency situation, it is because Yazoo City is his hometown.

The ten deaths included three very young children, and 21 people are hospitalized. The tornado was 3/4 of a mile wide. Conversion from US Standard Measurements to Metric: 0.75 mi = 1.207008 km equals the width of the tornado that went across 7 Mississippi counties on a 188 mile path = 302.556672 km (When estimating, 1 mi = 1.609344 km so a kilometer is a little over half a mile)

For the news story, see http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/25/us/25tornado.html

Here is a very helpful math site that has units for Metric and US standard measurements as well as a simple unit conversions tool, along with many other math helps for those of you with school age children:

http://www.mathsisfun.com/
wren

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion