Check ins

Re: Check ins

Postby terri on March 25th, 2014, 9:09 am

Just some updates from the Sands villa here...

I think Basha has gained five pounds since Lynsay got her. She's a pretty funny dog (her ears keep folding over on top of her head).

Teddy is a little confused. He and Allie used to play and fight all the time but Basha has kind of taken on that role now. However Teddy is still getting a LOT of attention still from everyone so he's good. He just has to get used to Basha and her role in the pack.

I often have to shut my office door because one or the other of the pack comes to visit. Cute but distracting.

A bunch of mature Ash trees are being removed from the property. (By a bunch I mean a couple of dozen.) It's really unfortunate as they're quite old but they had to be removed as they were all dying off due to the Ash Borer. :-(

I do see Lynsay daily during the work week however now that she's writing her hours are set to her own schedule so it's at different times every day. I believe she's enjoying getting back into the stories and it's nice to see her bouncing between two.

Well I think that's it. Hope everyone is good.

T
terri
Site Admin

Postby susan60625 on March 25th, 2014, 12:12 pm

Terri,

It's a real shame about the Ash trees! I had seen something from our area Arboretum on TV that if it was cold enough, for a long enough period of time (sorry, but I can't remember the specifics) it would kill the Ash borers. Are they checking that before taking down the trees? But then again, maybe it wasn't cold enough, long enough where you're at. Just a thought that might save some of those trees!

Sue
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby terri on March 25th, 2014, 2:24 pm

Thanks Sue. Unfortunately the trees were too far gone for that so even if the ash borers were killed this past season the trees would still have had to come down. It is sad. Thanks for suggesting the possibility though. :-)

T
terri
Site Admin

Postby grlnxtdr29 on April 6th, 2014, 3:17 pm

It's my second week of school, and I've gotten my grades for our first two assignments, and so far I have a perfect GPA! I've already turned in my essays for this week, but won't be graded on them till Thursday. I have also already turned in NEXT weeks assignments, basically because the assignments for the following week are going to be harder and will take more time, so I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time to work on them.

I'm really shocked though by how many people in the class can't seem to turn in a 250 word essay on time. There are 2 assignments each week, plus mandatory discussion on each others' essays. The first week of school, 4 people turned in the first assignment 24 hours late, and 5 people were up to three days late with the second assignment. The first assignment of week 2 was due yesterday, and 2 people still have not turned it in. And since 1/4 of our grade comes from discussing each others' essays, it is hard to get credit for discussing work that hasn't been turned in. Fortunately the teacher gave me credit for discussing the ones that were turned in on time last week.
grlnxtdr29

Postby susan60625 on April 6th, 2014, 5:11 pm

GND, When I was taking classes that required essays or reports, I frequently ran into similar situations. The teachers were usually very understanding about commentary grading when that happened. As long as you do the best you can with what was there for commentary, they usually adjusted the grading. Like you, I couldn't understand why people were late. These are on-line courses, so you can turn things in any time, day or night. Why sign up for a class if you aren't going to do the work? Afterall, you're paying for the class!
susan60625

Postby terri on April 8th, 2014, 4:59 pm

GND,

Good for you! As for why people go to school but then don't do the work... I think it's because they've got away with it until now. A friend of mine became a prof of environmental science and she hates it. She found there were so many students that wouldn't do the work, and whined the entire time about workload that it became really unpleasant for her. She even had a few helicopter parents approach her... in COLLEGE! LOL

Terri
terri
Site Admin

Postby grlnxtdr29 on May 7th, 2014, 11:54 am

So happy! I just found out I got the top grade in my first class! I was the only person in the class to get a perfect 100% grade! Of course, struggling a little with the second class. Hoping it's just because of the meds I am on. Have really nasty UTI and the meds are making it hard to concentrate. Read the same paragraph 6 times this morning and still have no clue what it said.
grlnxtdr29

Postby susan60625 on May 7th, 2014, 11:59 am

Great GND! Keep up the good work. This class will sort itself out too!
susan60625

Postby terri on May 13th, 2014, 3:08 pm

That's awesome GrlNxtDr.
As for the new course being harder... I found if I was trying to understand a course that was difficult, it would help if I could put the material in my own words. I remembered and retained it longer than if I just read it from a book.

T
terri
Site Admin

Postby grlnxtdr29 on May 13th, 2014, 7:13 pm

Well, I no longer have a Perfect GPA, but now that I am off the meds, I am doing a Little better. Would help if the tutorial videos were in Windows 8 version instead of Mac, which are completely different.
grlnxtdr29

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion