Immortals Weight Loss support Group

Re: Immortals Weight Loss support Group

Postby Lynsay on April 12th, 2010, 1:41 pm

Thank you girlnextdoor, I actually considered starting this myself after I read Karen and Jill's posts. I thought the support would be nice, but then thought, hmmmm, maybe the girls would be annoyed. So hesitated, so I am glad you started it.

Sigh. I need to lose some weight and to get healthier too. Between all the moves (six times in as many years) and the stress of the last four to six years, I've put on fifty pounds. I'm sure having such a sedentary job didn't help, but I basically don't respond well to constant criticism and food never criticizes you (grin) So, I need to shed some weight and get healthier. I am looking into various options right now. I have been being healthier the last year (excepting the last two months where I have been bad) and did have the bike and treadmill at the house which I used. I have a bike here at the apartment and haven't touched the darned thing the last two months while moving and getting the stories done, but plan to get back on it starting today. I like to play Playstation 3 games while riding it, it makes you forget you're biking and you can ride for an hour or more without wimping out as you kill bad guys and find clues, lol.

I'd love any lo cal recipes anyone has to share. I have this trick for when craving pizza (which is like manna from the gods to me) You get those small tortillas, pizza sauce, low fat shredded mozza, mushrooms, and turkey pepperoni or sausage (onions, green peppers, whatever you like) and make your own mini pizza. Warm it in the oven for five or ten minutes and voila. Much lower on calories, but tastes like you're being bad.

I also like to make up those instant sugar free/fat free puddings and have those for snacks with a little fat free whipped cream and nuts. Also feels like you'r being bad when you aren't.

I eat every three to four hours because of the diabetes so eat small meals or snacks. If I go out to a restaurant, I eat half my meal and take the other half home for a snack later and it saves me from having to come up with one later snack. (grin)

Well, I need to get my butt around and go shopping. So should check out if there is anything else to comment on and then get going.

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby Mabel48 on April 12th, 2010, 1:50 pm

I have diabetes too. I just take pills, but my one son has it and my youngest daughter is on insulin. The doctors say its partly genitc. Wha........

I need to find a way to read and walk a treadmill. Pst....don't tell anyone, I belong to the WMCA and it's only 4 min from my house.
Mabel48
Mabel48

Postby sherr on April 12th, 2010, 2:00 pm

Remember being healthy is the overall goal in weight loss. Remember Beyonnce and marilyn Monroe were/are both size 14 and no one is telling them to lose weight. type 2 Diabeties sometimes can be reversed with gradual weight loss and a lot of people notice a reduction in medication use. Lynsay, the London Covent Garden Market have a wide selection of quick ready prepared meals and salads so if you're close by to there you may want to check it out. I now have a few minutes to pack up my stuff and go home for the day. Please make sure everyone checks with doctor before starting diet and exercise program we don't want anyone to get sick or hurt and someone may need to be followed with their medications.
good girls don't make history and I plan on being very historical
sherr

Postby grlnxtdr29 on April 12th, 2010, 2:27 pm

I opted for the Glucerna shake for breakfast this morning. It's got all the minerals and Vitamins I need, without all the sugar and carbs (and calories), but Hubby and I both woke up feeling sick today, so after breakfast I went back to bed for a while. Hoping that now that I feel better I'll be able to go out for a walk with the kids in a little while. It's nice out, 75 degrees and Mostly Sunny.

The Spinach salad was good. I usually preffer Spinach or spring mix in my salads. Not a big fan of lettuce, atleast not iceberg lettuce. Hoping to get my garden going this week. Planting spinach, tomatoes, bell peppers, cuccumbers, onions, summer squash, corn, watermelon, cantalope, strawberries, blueberries, banana peppers, swiss chard, and a bunch of other stuff. The exercise in the garden and all the fresh veggies for salads will really help this summer.

I'm searching for gezspacho recipes, if anyone has any to share. I've found one really easy one, using V8 juice and a mix of fresh and cooked veggies, partially blended and left to chill.

Here's a Nice, refreshing low sugar recipe for Berry Peachy Cobbler

1 package frozen peach slices, thawed
1/2 package frozen blackberries, not thawed
1 cup splenda sweetner
4 cups rolled quick oats
1 cup flour
1 cup partially melted butter
1 tbs cinnamon

Mix peaches, blackberries, cinnamon, and 1/4 of the splenda in a glass baking dish. Mix remaining ingredients until crumbly, and sprinkle over top of fruit mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve with half n half poured over top.
grlnxtdr29

Postby jill on April 12th, 2010, 6:17 pm

I am definetely gonna try that recipe for the cobbler this weekend. That looks delicious!
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” Oscar Wilde
jill

Postby grlnxtdr29 on April 12th, 2010, 7:04 pm

The meat I got out for dinner didn't defrost, so I had one of Hubby's TV dinners. Probably not the healthiest choice, but it tasted good. Lunch and Breakfast always seem easy to be good on, but for some reason Dinner just seems harder to resist the bad stuff....
grlnxtdr29

Postby grlnxtdr29 on April 13th, 2010, 12:19 am

This isn't exactly a recipe, but it is something I like to prepare now and then, especially in the summer time. Some grocery store will sell packages of pre washed and cut veggies for shishkabobs. They are the perfect size for sauteeing. I cook them in half Olive oil and half light butter, with a little garlic and pepper, and a sprinkle of lemon juice, and then serve them with just a little parmesian cheese sprinkled on top.

If you can't find them in the store, just buy a yellow zucchini (Summer squash), red onion, portabella Mushroom, red and green bell pepper, and cherry or grape tomatoes. Cut them into about one inch pieces and cook as above. sometimes I add asperagus, too. Or I just cook asperagus and mushrooms with garlic and lemon juice, black pepper, and just a Little butter.
grlnxtdr29

Postby grlnxtdr29 on April 13th, 2010, 4:49 pm

Hmmm, people are responding to this post, but no one is really talking. The point of the support group was that we would talk about our goals and what we're doing to lose weight, share recipes, talk about exercise, and type instead of indulging in our craving for chocolate (Or whatever it is you are craving). I want us to Motivate each other.
grlnxtdr29

Postby sherr on April 13th, 2010, 5:15 pm

How about every Sunday everyone who wants to participate checks in and tells us if they had a lost or gain or stay the same....how we feel about this....how we plan to change our diet or exercise. You don't have to tell us how much you weigh how much weight you lost just every Sunday or when ever you can check-in during the week we can post whatever little tidbits we've learned or receipes or anything that will help everyone get to Sunday. Does that sound okay or is it too threatening for everyone.
sherr

Postby sherr on April 13th, 2010, 5:20 pm

It was just suggested to me that I should put in an example.....I have actually gained 1lb mainly due to the fact I went to see the Toronto Blue Jays play Chicago for their home opener and I ate pretzels and cotton candy (my one great weakness). So today I'm really watching my diet and making sure I don't over indulge. BTW the Jays lost :cry:
sherr

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion