I needs a new do!

Re: I needs a new do!

Postby wren on April 30th, 2010, 5:59 am

grlnxtdr29 wrote:Beware lisa, the last time I told the stylist to surprise me, I ended up with BANGS! UGH!

I don't do surprises, either, grlnxtdr29...and I believe I have one of the best hairstylists on the planet and can trust him entirely. He has been taking care of my hair for almost 22 years. Dear frog prince said, "What are you going to do when he retires?" I told him the possibility of retirement is not an option, although the ladies that work in his salon are great, also. Lee assured me retirement is not going to happen...he owns the salon...and said he will be there until the end. If I won the lottery, and the odds aren't great as I don't ever drive over Ol' Man River to buy a ticket, I would go every morning for him to style my hair. One thing is he is conservative about cutting off too much, as he says he can cut if off but not put it back on once he does, so he really doesn't like to "do surprises" either. If I'm in that mood, he usually gets me to let him just trim it enough to make it manageable, and then come back when I know more of what I want.

One thing he does is keep a card on each client where he writes down the coloring he used, & any details he needs to remember. He had done my Momma's hair when she would visit, and when she needed to choose a stylist of her own where she lives, he was able to write down what he used so that the lady was able to do the same highlights, etc. that she needed. When I looked at it, I said, "and this is going to mean something?" and he laughed and replied, "Just consider it beauty-shoppe talk. She will know what it means, and if she doesn't have that, she will have an equivalent product and know what to mix."

My problem right now is that I'm "growing-out" a short style, and my hair has reached that "in-between" stage where it doesn't want to do anything that I need it too. Oh, and I must wear bangs, but he often cuts them in a fringy style that will blend in...without them, I look like I have this huge forehead. Must be that extra-large brain I have, huh? :? :lol:
wren

Postby wren on April 30th, 2010, 6:46 am

Jodi, I think hairstyler.com may have been the one I had seen. I'm going to go look at Jackie's site that Lynsay mentioned, and see if it looks better. One thing is that although a style may look nice in a picture, you have to consider the thickness and texture of your own hair to determine if it will work. Maybe I'm lazy, but I don't have a lot of time to muss with my hair in the morning, so it has to be something that can look good for most occasions, yet be fairly easy and quick to be ready to go.

Here it's so humid that having curls, if you have them, isn't a problem. It's controlling those curls, as they often have a mind of their own in our climate! My hair is wavy and thick, but as it gets long it pulls the wave out and it's straight. Like lisa, if I put too many products on it, it weighs it down, only since it is so thick, then it has no body, but looks & feels like a glued together bad wig from an unrealistic Halloween costume plastered to my head. {sigh}

My dear hubby has the most beautiful curly hair (and doesn't like it) and the problem is people don't want to keep their fingers out of it. They want to touch it and see if it really is as soft as it looks (yes, it is) which I find annoying as they are usually being flirty...a little green monster peers out Image that wants to say "Keep your hands out my hubby's curly hair!" *grin* Many ask him "who perms his hair?" which drives him crazy. He says, "Do they think I do this to it on purpose?" :lol: The guy who does our hair told him not to complain too much, as many people pay him the big bucks to get curls like that! ;)

sin, we will have to tell GiGi and Princess Emma that younger son's hair is about to get a lot longer...he is going to grow it long for "Locks For Love." When it is long enough, we will go in so Lee can cut the "ponytail" off, and he will donate it to the Locks For Love organization to be made into wigs from real human hair for cancer patients, which is a need close to our hearts. Since I let him grow it out long, he has kept to our deal to keep it properly maintained (if not, the deal was I get to choose the style.) He wanted to color it blue...so much of this anime/manga stuff has kids coloring their hair all kinds of ways LOL...but it's actually not good for your hair, especially if bleached out often, so his parents are not agreeable to it.

Recently I mentioned "Locks For Love" and he was intrigued, and a few days later asked if he could do it. It has to get to several inches long for them to use it, so I've got to go look up the details. The Pantene Hair Products company has a similar charity organization, too, so I will look up both. I don't know what their organization is called. Sue, he will be able to pull his hair back like Christian! :) Lynsay, I'll be sure & take pictures...maybe he will look like one of our yummy Highlanders! However, with the kind of music he enjoys most, I see a sandy brown-haired Christian instead! ;)

Hey, do we have any Cosmetologists/Barbers among our SASSy ARGENEUTS?
wren

Postby Lynsay on April 30th, 2010, 12:26 pm

UGH! My hair is fine and dry. It needs help. Can't wait to see the pics.

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby sin on May 1st, 2010, 1:57 pm

lisa I feel your pain.. Baby fine and hard to manage. When I do set it one side flips under while the other flips up..:/

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby lisa on May 2nd, 2010, 7:32 pm

And the humidity doesnt help! Well, I got my hair cut and I dont know what to call the style except it has bangs! :shock: and is a little longer on sides and tapers up shorter in the back. Kinda like the Nancy Grace hairstyle but my hair is wavey/curley and brown( chocolate raspberry truffle according to box of hair color).It looked nice when she got thru with it but I am not sure I can recreate the effect. I too am used to wash and wear hair, so working with it in the morning will be interesting! Grlnxtdr, I felt a little safe telling beautician to decide on style because not only is she a trained professional who teaches cosmotology- she is my Aunt. So unless she wants to see bad haircut at family table for Mothers Day, then she knew not to get too crazy with it. She is a total angel with hair scissors and cut my hair often in the past so she kinda knew what to expect when she wet it down to cut and only found a bit of hair to work with!
lisa

Postby grlnxtdr29 on May 2nd, 2010, 8:17 pm

Hehe, Nice. Bangs are Ok on people with the right shaped face, but on Me they make me look like someone put my face thru a wringer. Most of the time I wear my hair pulled back in a Bun, but only because my kids have a tendancy to yank my hair out if I don't.
grlnxtdr29

Postby lisa on May 3rd, 2010, 6:22 pm

Forget Nancy Grace reference to hair style. I now resemble a badly cut French Poodle! The cut is ok, but the humidity is terrible! Maybe I should buy a wig and that way I can fix my hair-then put it on!
lisa

Postby wren on May 3rd, 2010, 8:20 pm

Went in & got my new do today...well, kind of ;) Lee trimmed up my bangs, rounded the front and gave my hair an undercut so that the bob turns under...still growing out the layers, but it will make it more manageable as they grow. The longest layer was already halfway down the sides, so he convinced me to be patient and not to do anything drastic. As he says, the only way to grow out your hair is to let it grow...and I had cut it in a very short, textured pixie-style last June. I did pick up some smoothy-goo, which I hope helps. It's supposed to be good in humid climates. Even though I didn't change my hair very much, it still made me feel a lot better to get a good trim and shape it toward the style that I'm trying to achieve, so it was worth it! :)

Also did the grocery shopping :shock: and even went to the bookstore...books for me & the boys...a good day for everyone 8-) (well, except for dear frog prince who had to work.)
wren

Postby MysticFan on January 15th, 2011, 4:38 am

wren wrote:My problem right now is that I'm "growing-out" a short style, and my hair has reached that "in-between" stage where it doesn't want to do anything that I need it too. Oh, and I must wear bangs, but he often cuts them in a fringy style that will blend in...without them, I look like I have this huge forehead. Must be that extra-large brain I have, huh? :? :lol:
[/b][/color]

Wren, I just saw this thread... didn't even know it existed. Actually thought I was all caught up and found tons more topics that I need to read. Anyway...lol I make it mandatory that I have bangs, usually in the swoop style, becuase my forehead looks hugeee without. My hubby even went as far as to say that I have a 5 finger forehead, meaning I can lay my whole hand fingers and all over my forehead because it's so big :cry:. I saw this post and I have to agree with you... our forehead may be huge, but it's only becuase we are packing around extra-large brains...lol :D
"Life can't always be cheesecake."-Elvi Black

MysticFan

Postby wren on January 15th, 2011, 7:05 am

MysticFan wrote:
wren wrote:My problem right now is that I'm "growing-out" a short style, and my hair has reached that "in-between" stage where it doesn't want to do anything that I need it too. Oh, and I must wear bangs, but he often cuts them in a fringy style that will blend in...without them, I look like I have this huge forehead. Must be that extra-large brain I have, huh? :? :lol:
[/b][/color]

Wren, I just saw this thread... didn't even know it existed. Actually thought I was all caught up and found tons more topics that I need to read. Anyway...lol I make it mandatory that I have bangs, usually in the swoop style, becuase my forehead looks hugeee without. My hubby even went as far as to say that I have a 5 finger forehead, meaning I can lay my whole hand fingers and all over my forehead because it's so big :cry:. I saw this post and I have to agree with you... our forehead may be huge, but it's only becuase we are packing around extra-large brains...lol :D

Love it, Mystic, and you made me giggle! Yes, some of must wear bangs... :lol: I'm still needing a new do, though. Got past the "in-between" growing out stage, but the style I was going for just didn't work with my hair. I'll be back in the hair salon soon! ;) :D
wren

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion