Favorite Music

Re: Favorite Music

Postby Jodi on August 16th, 2008, 8:05 pm

thats crazy Jill, I was just thinking about that group today. the lead singer from that group has gone solo and they were playing on of his songs on the radio
Jodi

Postby jill on August 17th, 2008, 1:00 pm

Huh, he went solo. Was he any good?
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” Oscar Wilde
jill

Postby Jodi on August 17th, 2008, 5:24 pm

Yeah it was ok but I perfered him with the other guy.
Jodi

Postby jill on August 17th, 2008, 5:26 pm

Wow. I feel really let down that they broke up. Its like losing a good memory or something. Sigh I wonder what else has changed. In my day....
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” Oscar Wilde
jill

Postby Jodi on August 17th, 2008, 5:28 pm

hehe, isn't it sad that we can think like that at our age
Jodi

Postby lisa on August 21st, 2008, 9:15 pm

Yipee!!! Just found out my fav group Albannach will be in town in a couple of weeks. They tour diff festivals in Scotland and USA and they will be appearing local soon. :!: Has anyone else ever heard them. :?: They are on Youtube and sometimes on Celtic radio. They are listed as celtic tribal (bagpipe and lots of rhythm) :D I think they mostly tour eastern US but last fall they toured out to California and out western US for first time. Hope they picked up a lot of new fans. Some of the band used to be part of Clanadruma but they split up and formed new band a few years ago. I AM SO EXCITED :!:
lisa

Postby lisa on September 6th, 2008, 6:04 am

Hi folks, its me again. For those of you who want to get in touch with scots/irish/english heritage check out the group Father Son and Friends. They play at historical reinactments of battles, trade faires at formerly British forts in the eastern US and highland games/festivals. They have lots of sea chanty type songs as well. Their song called Kilkully Ireland is a tearjerker of a song written by using acutal letters of an Irish immigrant writing letters between the US and Ireland to his family. Ft Loudoun in TN was a former English trade fort and they have a festival every year combined with the local Sequoyia Museum of the Cherokee People. WE heard this group perform last year and it was a very entertaining weekend, ( and lots of history credit for a student in the family who needs all the help she can get!) It is going on again this year and I thought I would mention it as I know Mr Spice likes lots of diff types of music and I have read that a few of you wanted to check out your heritages and thought your might like to check this group. PS Mr Spice we not only reenact us civil war battles here in the southern US but british occupation. :D
lisa

Postby wren on September 6th, 2008, 7:50 am

Oh, don't forget lisa...pirate re-enactments, also!Image
wren

Postby Mr Spice on September 6th, 2008, 11:28 am

lisa wrote: PS Mr Spice we not only reenact us civil war battles here in the southern US but british occupation. :D

The first time I visited Canada we went up to Niagara on The Lake and saw a re-enactment of an 1812 battle taking place. The Canadians re-enacted the Brits, who were looking all handsome in their smart red coats, and a large party of American re-enactors (along with a sailing ship) took the part of the losing side. :P

In conection with the Civil War I always remember reading a book which I think had the title Invisible Immigrants and which was a collection of letters sent between Brits at home and their family members who had emigrated to America. I always remember the letters of one family because they had originated from the same place as I do and it was their son who had emigrated. The surviving letters were from the period when he had joined the army and was on active service during the 1861-1865 period. I can't remember much of the detail of the letters as it was a long, long time when I read the book but I do recall it made me realise that, despite the best efforts of Hollywood to tell us otherwise, much of the early history of America is a story that would have been told in a huge variety of accents, dialects and languages.

Such was the mixed nature of the population, then as now, I wonder how many people will realise that the famed 7th Cavalry of Custer's Last Stand fame had not only bugler, but they also had a bagpiper. And in a similar manner, did you also know that in the golden age of the cowboy 25 percent, or one quarter of the men who worked in the frontier cattle industry were African/American. I've never seen that reflected in a movie portrayal.

Moving on, for those who like music to have a Scottish accent check out two of that nations longest serving exports - Runrig, who are a rock band with a definite Scottish folk influence, and The Battlefield Band, a traditional Scottish folk outfit with the occasional contemporary slant. Both very different but well worth investigating if you have a yearning for that kind of music.

Dave
"A heavy snowfall,
They are just about to close
The great gate of the barrier"

Yosa Buson (1716-1783)
Mr Spice
Site Admin

Postby wren on September 6th, 2008, 12:10 pm

heehee...ImageIn 1814 we took a little trip, along with Andrew Jackson down the might Missisip...Image

Oh wait, Mr. Spice, I believe we had that conversation about the "War of 1812" and the winnning side on the old forum! :lol:

I did know the information about the cowboys being 25% African-American, and not getting any credit for it until very recently. Also, many African-Americans fought on both sides of the U.S. Civil War without acknowledgment for their parts in the war until recently, either. We have many reenactments in Vicksburg, as we have one of the large National Military Parks devoted to the U.S. Civil war, with monuments and a large museum and cemetary that includes those of both the Union and Confederacy sides. It was imperative that the Union capture Vicksburg to gain control of the Mississippi River and the shipping that it provided, as part of the strategy for winning the war and keeping the States as one united nation! If General Grant had been unable to take Vicksburg, the north would have been cut off from shipping through to the Gulf of Mexico.

Also, the settling of America as we know it was a mixture of people and dialects and music...not just a settling of one group of Europeans exploring a new world. During that time and the many years afterward, we did become a "melting pot" although some are offended by that term now. They prefer to be a "tossed salad." :roll: Sorry, but I have too large of a mixture in my heritage now to be part of the salad, although I have respect for those who are of a particular heritage.

It sounds like the new musical selections would be interesting. I need to make a list to carry with me when I go out shopping! :)
wren

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion