E-readers?

E-readers?

Postby lisa on August 22nd, 2010, 4:16 pm

Wren are you still happy with your Nook? You had said something about posting your research info and how you had decided on Nook , but I must have missed seeing it on forum. My lil sis is determined to purchase an e-reader in the near future ( no patience!) and she is kinda determined it will be a kindle( the newest, most expensive model) Can you purchase Lynsay's books early or at midnite on release day? I will have to wait for a bit to purchase BTB,its my grandmothers Bday and after work I will be flying to the nursing home that evening.
lisa

Re: E-readers?

Postby wren on August 22nd, 2010, 5:13 pm

You haven't missed it...I have looked up the links, but I haven't got around to posting the information. I'm very happy with the nook & so is rockie, and it is down in price since the iPad is out now. I don't know anything about the updated Kindle...I'll have to go look at it. MsKitty & Karen both have Kindles and are very happy with them. BTB will be the first new release I buy, so I'm not sure but I think it will download immediately. sin has been looking at the new Kobo from Borders. I think getting an eReader from the store you shop with the most is the best idea so far...as long as the quality is equal to the others on the market. I'll try to get that info posted! :D
wren

Postby lisa on August 22nd, 2010, 8:30 pm

Ok, thought I missed it, have been reading on forum, but not posting lately and I thought it was already on here somewhere. Thanks!
lisa

Postby Denise on May 9th, 2012, 12:31 am

Okay, so this is an old topic, but thought I'd post my updates. I wound up purchasing a Nook Tablet, simply because I could use it to browse the internet, too, and then bought an I-pod Touch 32GB a few months later. Honestly, the I-touch has become my reader of choice! Simply put, it is SOOOOO much easier to carry around. I just slip it in my pocket. Yes, the text is a bit smaller, but that doesn't bother me much, yet. The school won't let kids use their I-pods for e-readers, so my son has claimed the Nook and has been taking it to school instead of carrying a Harry Potter book around. He's on #4.

Why I chose the Nook Tablet over the Kindle Fire? The reviews were slightly better for the display on the Nook. Also indicated that it had better outdoor visibility, for those rare nice days that I want to take it outside. And I have been able to read outside some. However, I still find myself grabbing the I-touch more often, mainly because son has the Nook at school or in his backpack. And, to be totally honest, I really don't want my kids exploring some of the books that I read so there are several I won't be putting on the shared Nook. :(
Denise

Postby sin on May 10th, 2012, 1:13 am

wren wrote:You haven't missed it...I have looked up the links, but I haven't got around to posting the information. I'm very happy with the nook & so is rockie, and it is down in price since the iPad is out now. I don't know anything about the updated Kindle...I'll have to go look at it. MsKitty & Karen both have Kindles and are very happy with them. BTB will be the first new release I buy, so I'm not sure but I think it will download immediately. sin has been looking at the new Kobo from Borders. I think getting an eReader from the store you shop with the most is the best idea so far...as long as the quality is equal to the others on the market. I'll try to get that info posted! :D

Yes wren was correct but Borders has since went belly up. :D I did get the Nook Tablet from B&N. I LOVE it. I can get my books anywhere that has the formats I use. Also LOVE the guarantee it has. And with a lil one am thinking it will come in handy. Also like the idea of going to the store to get help if need and the free classes offered. It was a belated b-day present form my 2 fellas. And as you can see by wrens post I had been "shopping" around for some time before I made my decision. :)

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby Denise on May 10th, 2012, 12:39 pm

Me, too, Sin. I pondered it for over a year before finally puchasing. I also use Calibre software so I'm not bound to only one format. I can get any of them and put it on my Nook or Ipod. That has been nice.
Denise

Postby grlnxtdr29 on May 10th, 2012, 12:47 pm

They have a new Nook coming out. It's a step up from the nook simple touch, and a step down from the Nook color.
It has it's own light source, but isn't back lit, if that makes any sense. It's only $139. Debating on getting that, or the $79 simple touch with a clip on light. Of course that has to wait till after Hubby gets out of the Hospital, and also depends on how much it is going to cost to get the AC fixed in the car....
grlnxtdr29

Postby Denise on May 11th, 2012, 11:58 am

I saw that advertised, GND. I'm going to look into that one for my son. One of the main reasons I went with the tablet was to be able to read without a light source. Well, that and the web surfing ability. But buying this new one may be the perfect way to get my tablet back.
Denise

Postby grlnxtdr29 on May 19th, 2012, 8:45 pm

I've found a (Temporary) solution to not having an ereader yet! I downloadeed the Free nook for PC application, that lets me read nook books on my Computer. It's not Portable, but for now it works, and once I get my Nook, I can transfer everything to it
grlnxtdr29

Postby Denise on May 21st, 2012, 1:26 am

That app is what I started with. I also have the Kindle reader on my laptop.
Denise

Next

Return to General Discussion