What Is....?

Re: What Is....?

Postby Mr Spice on September 2nd, 2009, 10:45 am

wren wrote:New question...What are some favourite DVDs or CDs of Shakepeare's plays that you would recommend? I listed below the plays that I need for this school year.

Franco Zeffirelli will give you Much Ado About Nothing, Romeo & Juliet and the Liz Taylor/RIchard Burton version of The Taming of The Shrew.

For Hamlet go for the Laurence Olivier movie version.

The best version of Macbeth is the UK TV performance with Judi Dench & Ian McKellen.

There are both 1968 and 1981 UK TV versions of A Midsummer Night's Dream that are good but not outstanding. Helen Mirren has parts on both versions and one of these, along with The Tempest, are available in a DVD set titled The Complete Dramatic Works of William Shakespeare: The Comedies. It's also probably available to buy as individual discs. You can find it at Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

The remainder I'm not sure about, although there will have been BBC TV versions from the UK, I can't fnd any available at a reasonable price.
"A heavy snowfall,
They are just about to close
The great gate of the barrier"

Yosa Buson (1716-1783)
Mr Spice
Site Admin

Postby wren on September 3rd, 2009, 5:49 am

Thanks, Sue & Mr Spice. This gives me a good starting place, and helps me know where to look. I'll get started on the suggestions you have given me, and if I can't get the remaining titles at a reasonable price, I'll try to get them through my local library. Who would have thought finding William Shakespeare would have been so difficult or confusing? :lol: We will be reading the plays, but the study guide that I have suggests viewing or listening to them as one of the activities, or attending a local performance for enrichment. Sometimes the nearby colleges or local high schools will have performances, or there will be a Shakespeare festival on a college/university campus that usually takes place in the spring. I'm going to try to find at least one live performance. I'm grateful for your help! :)
wren

Postby sin on August 21st, 2010, 10:50 am

bumping up for the newer members..

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby terri on January 25th, 2013, 4:41 pm

Sorry never heard of them BicGatePC02.

T
terri
Site Admin

Postby grlnxtdr29 on January 25th, 2013, 5:03 pm

They are aninstumental group simular to Manheim Steamroller. They do upbeat versions of Classical music, and use a lot of Modern instruemnts (Electric Guitars. synthasizers, etc...)
grlnxtdr29

Postby terri on January 28th, 2013, 5:34 pm

Thanks to Sin's entry in Word Game Argeneau style I now know who Manheim Steamroller... I had a totally different impression that it being a group. At first I had no idea (hence my entry) and then my next thought was perhaps she was talking about some German wrestling move. LOL

I listened to one of their songs. It's nice. Nice intrumental Christmas music.

T
terri
Site Admin

Postby sin on January 30th, 2013, 1:05 am

Terri glad to help :) I used to have several of their cassettes. Yes you heard right tapes. Unfortunately a so called friend stole a lot of my tapes. bummer.

I do enjoy their music a lot.

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby grlnxtdr29 on January 30th, 2013, 8:18 am

I Have one of their Christmas albums on my iPod. I Love to listen to it. Unfortunately my Kids don't. They will listen to any other music I play, but not that one
grlnxtdr29

Previous

Return to General Discussion