Holiday Recipe Exchange & Holiday Traditions

Holiday Recipe Exchange & Holiday Traditions

Postby wren on September 16th, 2010, 6:46 am

grlnxtdr29 wrote:I know there is already a recipe thread on here, and I know it is still early for the Holiday Season, but I thought I would start this seperate thread for people to share their favorite Holiday Recipes, as well as Favorite holiday memories and Traditions.

One of my Family Traditions that I am hoping to Continue when we move into a Bigger home and My Kids are a bit older and can help, is Baking Bread and Cinnamon Rolls for the Holidays. We'd make bread for our Christmas Dinner, as well as enough to Share. My Mother grew up on a Fruit Ranch in California, and my Grandfather was the Foreman. My Grandmother and Mother and a few other family members would make Bread for all the Migrant Workers who worked the orchards and fields, and when my Mother grew up, she continued the tradition with my Sister and brothers and me, Making Bread for Family, Friends, and Coworkers. And for Christmas Breakfast, we'd have Fresh, Hot, Homemade Cinnamon Rolls. I'll post my Bread Recipes tomorrow, when I am more awake...

wren wrote:gnd, do you mind if I move this to the General Discussion, or do you prefer to leave it here. I think it's a really good idea...Holiday Recipe Exchange & Traditions...and this is the perfect time to start sharing! Keep in mind that it can be Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, other holidays that are specific to different forum members...I'm just naming some as I go...and even Birthday traditions... 8-) :D

Hi everyone, with gnd's agreement and Lynsay's permission, I have moved this thread to the General Discussion section. Even though it is part of the "fun stuff" that we do, not everyone plays the games (though you are all welcome to join in at anytime) but almost everyone participates in the topics on the General Discussion. We are beginning at just the right time, as stores are decorating fast and catalogs are arriving in the mail for Halloween & Christmas. We will keep this as an ongoing topic, so feel free to post recipes for any holiday throughout the year, as well as sharing memories and the traditions that you have with your family & friends.

For general recipes for any time of year, we have another thread in the General Discussion,
"Cook's Cauldron ~ Discuss Favourite Foods & Share Recipes" This topic is where you can post recipes, share serving & entertaining ideas, ask questions, or discuss foods from different cultures. The topics may overlap a little, but just remember that this thread is dedicated to holiday recipes & traditions from our many members around the world.

So, lets get started and have some Immortal holiday fun! :D (Thank you for the idea, gnd!)
wren

Re: Holiday Recipe Exchange & Holiday Traditions

Postby tkw5002 on September 16th, 2010, 3:38 pm

So I have a fun dip recipe thats really simple and can be made for any holiday party!!!!! It's a Mexican Chili dip. You need 2 blocks of cream cheese, 1 can of Hormel chili (without beans) and a bag of shredded taco cheese. Put the 2 blocks of cream cheese down in a pan first and smooth it out evenly. Next pour the Hormel chili over top of the cream cheese. After you have poured on the chili (as evenly as possible), sprinkle on a pretty thick layer of the shredded taco cheese on top. Pop it in the oven until the cheese on top melts and you have a yummy dish to share!!!!! It's really yummy with Fritos!!!!!!
At Last A Love Affair He Can Really Sink His Teeth Into

Image[/URL]
tkw5002

Postby grlnxtdr29 on September 18th, 2010, 8:32 pm

Ackk! I lost my bread recipe! I think I accidently deleted it! But I can post other recipes.

The Cinnamon rolls are pretty easy. Make your Favorite Bread or Roll recipe, let rise once, then knead in a little more flour and roll out in to three foot long, one foot wide rectangle. Generously coat with real unsalted Butter. Mix together 2 cups sugar (Or splenda) and half to 3/4 cups Cinnamon, depending on how cinnamony you want them. Sprinkle Liberally over the rectangle, and roll into a three foot long Log. Cut into 1 inch rolls, and let rise for 20 minutes before Baking at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until golden Brown. Top with Simple Cream Cheese frosting. 1 package softened or whipped cream Cheese, half a stick of Butter, 2 teaspoons cream or Milk, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Add a splash of Vanilla and blend till smooth.
Last edited by grlnxtdr29 on September 18th, 2010, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grlnxtdr29

Postby grlnxtdr29 on September 18th, 2010, 8:46 pm

Another one of my Family's traditions is Christmas Eve Dinner. We Always have one of 3 meals, rotating each year between; Chili with Cheese and Onions, Seafood Chowder, Or Sunday Night Dinner (Breakfast surved at Night).

Here is my Recipe for Seafood chowder

6 strips of Bacon, rendered down.
2 or 3 leeks, cleaned and thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, finaely chopped
6-8 Medium Yukon gold potatoes, diced small
2 quarts Seafood broth (Optional, can use water)
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
1 lbs Shrimp, peeled, tail off, deveined
2 lobster tails, peeled and diced
1/2 lbs bay scallops
1 large can whole Baby clams, with juice
2 cans chopped clams, drained
1 pint cream

Render bacon down, and use the fat too saute leeks and garlic (save the cooked bacon to Garnish later). Add 3/4 of the potatoes to the pan, and add the Seafood Broth. The remaining Potatoes are to be spreed out on a baking sheet and cooked in the oven till golden brown. Once the boiled potatoes are fork tender, ad shrimp and Lobster. Bring back to boil for 5 minutes, and add scallops and clams. Cook another 10 minutes, then add Cream. Laddle into bowls and Garnish with the baked potato bits and crumbled bacon. A little sour cream and shredded cheddar can also be added if desired. (Tip...if soup doesn't thicken up, use 1 cup potato flakes to thicken)
grlnxtdr29

Postby grlnxtdr29 on September 18th, 2010, 9:38 pm

Last year was the first year I spent the Holidays with Hubby's Family. It was a Little bit of a Culture shock for me. We did two Turkeys. I cooked one and My Mother in law Cooked the other one. Both of them came out perfect, but you could deffinetely tell that the cooks were from Opposite ends of the country. I cooked mine with citrus and white wine, and she cooked hers with Oysters and Mushrooms. Both were Very Delicious.

And his family has an odd deffinition of what a Salad is. They serve Butterscotch pudding with whipped cream and Pecans and call it a Salad. I call that a Dessert. For my Family, we serve Salads with Holiday Meals, but they are more traditional ones: Tomatoes, Cuccumbers, and Onions in a Italian Dressing with Mozzarella ( or parmisian) Cheese; Potato Salad; sliced onions and Cuccumbers in vinager; Carrot and Raisen Salad; Hawaiian Slaw; Citrus salad.

The stuffing was Different as well. I Like corn bread stuffing with sage and giblets. Mother in law made Oyster Stuffing. I'd Never had it before. It tasted good, but it was deffinetely not something I'm used to. I'm just glad she didn't make the walnut stuffing, as I am allergic to Walnuts.

But there were some things our families had in common. Homemade Breads, Cookies, pumpkin and Apple Pies (Although my apple pie is a little more tart than M I L's), relish trays (except they have green olives and we usually have black, and they have green onions and we usually have pickled onions, and they don't have radishes) Deviled eggs, and sparkling cider.
grlnxtdr29

Postby grlnxtdr29 on November 22nd, 2010, 11:27 pm

When i was a kid, we lived on the side of a Mountain in a Log cabin with no Electricity for a year. It was Probably the best year of my Life. I remember going out and chopping down our Christmas Tree, and decorating one outside for the Animals with edible Ornaments. These recipes are intended for our Feathered and Four legged Friends, but can also be eaten by you and your Friends with just minor changes....

Popcorn ornaments

6 cups unbuttered, unsalted Popcorn
2 cups unsalted peanuts
2 cups molassis
2 cups peanut Butter

Pop the popcorn using an air popper. Pour into large mixing bowl with the peanuts. In a sauce pan, mix Molassis and Peanut butter. Cook on low heat until the mixture begins to thicken up a little. Pour over the popcorn and nut mixture, and stir until popcorn is well coated. let cool for 5-10 minutes, then begin to form into balls. You can use strips of corn husks to make hangers with.

Fruit Wreaths

slice apples, Oranges, and other orchard fruits into 4ths. Using a thick piece of wire to form the Wreath (If the wire is too thin some of the larger animals may be able to bite thru it and swallow bits of metal), alternate verious bits of fruit, adding smaller goodies like grapes and fresh berries (if available). Coat the wreath in honey and sprinkle with Bird seed.

Bird seed Pine Cones

Find several medium to large Pine Cones. Coat some in Honey and Some in Peanut Butter, and roll them in Bird Seed or Black Sunflower Seeds
grlnxtdr29

Postby Rawr on November 23rd, 2010, 5:34 am

A couple for the fall and winter holidays.
Cranberry walnut tart (super easy tart)
1 glass pie dish
Graham Cracker crust
1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs (or gingersnap cookies but, skip the cinn. if you do)
2 T. Butter/margarine, melted
1/4 c. sugar
1 t. cinnamon
Cranberry Walnut Filling
1 c. frozen cranberries
1 c. walnuts
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 t. cinnamon

Set oven to 375F. Mix crust ingredients and press into the pie dish. Throw all filling ingredients into food processor until coarsely chopped about 5 or 6 seconds. Spread filling in pie dish. Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Frankly since this is a 123 tart I learned in school i just eyeball it. The only thing needing baked is the cranberries. But, it is delicious and so easy.

Spiced Butternut Squash Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
2/3 cup diced carrot
1/2 cup diced celery
2/3 cup diced onion
1 T. curry paste or red curry powder
4 cups cubed butternut squash (about 1 medium squash)
4 -6 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup coconut milk (light or regular)
salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Add carrot, celery and onion, and stir in the curry paste or powder. Cook until vegetables are tender and aromatic, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add butternut squash, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil (add a little chicken broth if necessary), then reduce heat and simmer until squash is fork-tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and light or regular coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper.
Use an immersion blender to puree soup. Alternatively, let the soup cool slightly and carefully puree in batches in a traditional blender. It's got a kick but, is really delicious and wonderful with turkey.

For diabetics who would like a rich healthy easy dessert.

Chocolate Mousse

1 container fat-free cool whip
1 box sugar free instant chocolate pudding.

Mix. Enjoy without the guilt. :twisted:
Rawr

Postby Rawr on November 23rd, 2010, 5:36 am

Or you could bake off some pears in some Truvia and hot water til golden brown and sprinkle with pumpkin spice.
Rawr

Postby susan60625 on November 23rd, 2010, 3:13 pm

I have a variation on Rice Crispie Treats. The variation is that before adding the cereal add green food coloring. Then, instead of Rice Crispies, use Corn Flakes. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper or parchment paper. Shape the coated corn flakes into cookie-sized wreath shapes on the paper. Dot with cinnamon red hots. Chill.
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby susan60625 on November 28th, 2010, 7:06 pm

Yippee! I was finally able to pry this recipe out of my mother's tight grip! I finally convinced her that the family up here has been after me to bring this to our holiday family gatherings. I don't know where she found this recipe, but it has been a staple of our holiday desserts for as long as I can remember. I, personally haven't made it myself, but it doesn't seem to difficult.

Egg Nog Mold

5 C. Egg Nog
1/3 C. Sugar
3 env. Unflavored Knox gelatin
6T Cold Water
½ tsp. Fresh Ground Nutmeg
2 C. Whipping Cream, Whipped
3 pkg. Frozen Raspberries
2 T. Corn Starch
2 T. Brandy

Heat 1 cup Egg Nog until simmering. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar. Set aside.

Place water in a small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin on water to soften. Stir into Egg Nog. Heat and stir continuously until gelatin is completely dissolved.

Pour into a large bowl. Stir in remaining Egg Nog and Nutmeg. Chill until slightly thickened.

Fold in Whipped Cream. Spoon into 8 cup mold or large decorative bowl.

Raspberry Sauce

Defrost and drain raspberries in a strainer over a bowl. (You should end up with about 1¼ C juice.)

Mix juice and corn starch in a small sauce pan and stir until smooth. NOTE: Start with one tablespoon of corn starch and add more as necessary, up to 2 tablespoons.

Heat to boil, stirring constantly, until thick and clear.

Add raspberries and brandy.

Cool.

Best if made the day before allowing the mold to set and the brandy to flavor the sauce. Serve the mold, topping with the sauce and, if desired, more whipped cream.
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Next

Return to General Discussion