Happy Thanksgiving!!

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!!

Postby jill on October 7th, 2010, 8:07 pm

my thoughts exactly
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” Oscar Wilde
jill

Postby wren on October 9th, 2010, 12:26 am

I make an absolutely fantastic APPLE PIE...I was taught by the best, my dear Pop (my late father-in-law, who could cook or bake anything. :D ) My frog prince & I were married in December, so while we were with his family for Christmas, I learned to make a melt-in-your-mouth deep dish apple pie. It's one of those things I can't post a recipe for though, as like so many things that you learn from someone else, you don't really have one...you just put it together. One secret..don't put nutmeg in fruit pies (unless you really, really like nutmeg. :) ) When you put even a little bit of nutmeg in a fruit pie, well...you end up with a "nutmeg pie." :roll:

I don't cook...not because I can't (except that I'm lousy at making gravy, for some reason) but just because I don't want to...but when I do feel like baking, I have quite a few faves. Anyone want a Snickerdoodle? ;)

sin, you did agree it was time to make Pfeifferneuss (sp?) cookies for me? They are just perfect for fall weather! mmmmm...Image
wren

Postby sherr on October 9th, 2010, 4:22 am

Yesterday I baked -
Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
M&M peanut butter cookies
butter tarts
brownies
I needed to make something for the hockey team to take to the game today but the cookies must stay home (nut allergy on the team)
Today pies -
pecan pie
apple pie
pumpkin pie
Then I need to go the grocery store and pick up some French Vanilla ice cream and I'm set.
good girls don't make history and I plan on being very historical
sherr

Postby Jodi on October 9th, 2010, 12:54 pm

sounds good sherr send some my way...no nut allergies here :)

We don't normally do the turkey dinner for Thanksgiving as my husband is always away @ camp but this year my brother has asked for it and has even offered to cook the turkey which will be a big help were I only have the one good hand currently, so out I went yesterday and bought a turkey can't wait... yummy!

Happy Thanksgiving!!
Jodi

Postby susan60625 on October 9th, 2010, 2:28 pm

wren wrote:I don't cook...not because I can't (except that I'm lousy at making gravy, for some reason)

Hey, Wren, gravy is easy to make! I can help you out with it, no problem. My mother taught me, but somehow my sister was never able to master it. After she was married, and was hosting her first holiday meal, she asked me to make the gravy. She had bought all of these fancy ingredients (she is rather a gourmet-style cook, whereas I'm more of a home-style cook!) but I didn't use a one of them. By the time, we sat down to dinner, we had gravy and she was shaking her head at how easy it was. I never had to make it for her again!

wren wrote:sin, you did agree it was time to make Pfeifferneuss (sp?) cookies for me? They are just perfect for fall weather! mmmmm...Image

Mmmmm...... Pfeffernuesse (Wren, this is the anglicized spelling of the plural - instead of ue it should be a u with an umlaut and the German has a special character for the double S)! Sin, let me know if you make them!
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby sherr on October 9th, 2010, 7:32 pm

We are doing thing rather simple on Thanksgiving actually....I like to bake makes me feel domestic. When my friend doesn't have company for holidays and since her kids are little and don't eat alot. She buys pre- stuffed bird....can gravey....instant veg and potatoes and cranberry sauce in the can. Except for the turkey it takes half hour....not for me thanks....lol
sherr

Postby Lynsay on October 10th, 2010, 11:57 am

Good Lord WOMAN!! You're a baking FEIND!! I haven't baked that much in my whole life let alone one day!

Lynsay, the kitchen-challenged
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby sherr on October 10th, 2010, 1:01 pm

Lynsay...I can't cook so I bake...had to make a bit to take to the oldest son hockey game yesterday...We won 6-3.
Dinner is at 3pm should I expect you at 2... tomorrow lol
sherr

Postby rockie on October 10th, 2010, 1:42 pm

Lynsay,
Im kitchen challenged too! Trust me.. it anit pretty when I have to cook... Thats why I havent ever attempted to cook a turkey!
AEA Sister♥☮☆♪
Sisterhood of the Traveling Fangs♥☮☆♪
Live
.♫
⋰**
⋱♫ ..Laugh
( ``✫•♫
`✫•.¸ )
¸. ✶♫....L♥ve
( ``✫•~
rockie

Postby Jodi on October 10th, 2010, 4:40 pm

I would rather bake than cook but with 2 kids I don't have much choice :) I get alot of ideas from the Kraft What's Cooking magazine and of course my Mom is always coming up with ideas when I talk to her on the phone :) she is the type who can cook or bake anything and who loves to come up with different dishes... she has had to improvise a lot of recipes sice being diagnosed as a diabetic and it always surprises me how good they taste.
Jodi

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion