Home Remedies?

Home Remedies?

Postby tkw5002 on October 19th, 2010, 3:46 pm

I'm really not feeling very well. :( I caught a wicked cold Sunday night and am trying to fight it off. I was wondering if anybody has any home remedies/suggestions for what I could take/do? It's the pits being under the weather. I hope everybody else is healthy and doing well! So far i have taken the generic form of Nyquil at night and have been drinking herbal mint tea like crazy.
At Last A Love Affair He Can Really Sink His Teeth Into

Image[/URL]
tkw5002

Re: Home Remedies?

Postby grlnxtdr29 on October 19th, 2010, 10:00 pm

Sicilian Chicken Soup! Basically chicken, Mushrooms, Green Olives, Pepper, a Little Lemon Juice, all boiled together. Taste good and good for you. Also, Hot tea with Honey, Hot Lemonaide, and strawberry ice cream (Believe it or not these all work for me when I am sick)
grlnxtdr29

Postby Lynsay on October 20th, 2010, 10:41 am

Hmmm, didn't post. Well, I shall try again. I have a naturopath friend who always makes me take loads of vitamin D when I get sick. When I say loads I mean five or six 5000 IU tablets a day for three days. I don't know if it works, but I got over the pneumonia pretty quick while this bug has hung on for three or four weeks with everyone else. Maybe check into it yourself on line. I just generally trust this friend of mine, she used to be a nurse and now does all sorts of naturopathy stuff, however, you don't know her from Sam, so should probably check it out online yourself to be sure it's okay for you.

Feel better soon, sweetie.

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby susan60625 on October 20th, 2010, 12:28 pm

Mrs. W, I don't know if you'd like my grandmother's cure-all. Sauerkraut! It works great for me! But, then again, I love sauerkraut!
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby wren on October 21st, 2010, 1:57 am

tkw5002 wrote:I'm really not feeling very well. :( I caught a wicked cold Sunday night and am trying to fight it off. I was wondering if anybody has any home remedies/suggestions for what I could take/do? It's the pits being under the weather. I hope everybody else is healthy and doing well! So far i have taken the generic form of Nyquil at night and have been drinking herbal mint tea like crazy.

sin knows a lot about herbal remedies...I'll tell her you need some info, Mrs. W :)

susan60625 wrote:Mrs. W, I don't know if you'd like my grandmother's cure-all. Sauerkraut! It works great for me! But, then again, I love sauerkraut!

Dear frog prince loves sauerkraut...sorry, Sue, but I'd rather have the cold! :lol:

Nice new sparkling siggys, ladies! :D Love the extra bit of info on yours, Caro! ;)
wren

Postby susan60625 on October 21st, 2010, 1:57 pm

wren wrote:
susan60625 wrote:Mrs. W, I don't know if you'd like my grandmother's cure-all. Sauerkraut! It works great for me! But, then again, I love sauerkraut!

Dear frog prince loves sauerkraut...sorry, Sue, but I'd rather have the cold! :lol:

Nice new sparkling siggys, ladies! :D Love the extra bit of info on yours, Caro! ;)

Well, Wren, since you probably never make it for him, if you and the frog prince ever come up to Chicago, I will have to make sauerkraut for him. My recipe came from my grandmother -- no caraway, and with roughly mashed potatoes mixed right in! Not to sour that way!

As for the signature.... Well, no sense in hiding anymore! The secret is out! Bwahahahahaha! :lol:
susan60625

Postby grlnxtdr29 on October 21st, 2010, 3:00 pm

Hey sue, you would probably love one of my Family's Favorite Recipes. Suarkraut Pie. Browned ground beef, topped with a layer of Suarkraut and covered in Mashed Potatoes. Bake until the top is golden Brown. I Love it! I try to make it atleast once a month for me and the Kids, but Hubby doesn't like it.
grlnxtdr29

Postby susan60625 on October 21st, 2010, 4:45 pm

GND, that sounds delish! If you like sauerkraut, my grandmother's recipe is super easy! You take 1/2 pound bacon, roughly chopped and brown it in a roasting pan. About halfway through, add in 2 medium-sized roughly chopped onions and cook until onions are clear. Place an approximately 4 lb. pork shoulder roast (you want the blade end, not the knuckle) and cover with a 2 pound bag of sauerkraut (with the juice). Cover the roaster and simmer roast over a low flame for about 2 hours, turning once. You know the meat is done, when you can literally pull the should blade bone from the meat. While the meat & kraut is cooking, peel about 3.5 -4 pounds of potatoes (reds or yukon gold, not baking potatoes) and boil until soft. Strain the potatoes, retaining the cooking water and return to the cook pot. Roughly mash the potatoes. (You want some lumps to remain.) Do NOT add anything to the potatoes. When the meat is done, remove from the roaster and stir the mashed-up potatoes into the cooked sauerkraut. If the potato and kraut mixture is too sour, add some of the potato cooking water to reduce the sharpness. If it is too bland, you can add some separately purchases kraut juice. Slice the meat and serve. When I make this, I eat it all week. But since I love it, I don't mind!
susan60625

Postby tkw5002 on October 21st, 2010, 5:04 pm

YUM, my mouth is watering reading this! I love sauerkraut!!!!! (Susan, I'm going to try your recipe!!!!)Luckily I'm on the mend from my cold. I've been taking Tylenol cold multi symptom and it's been helping. A really dear friend of our family was babysitting our daughter while my hubby and I were at work and she made us chicken matzo ball soup! (not sure if i spelled that correctly or not) She made it fairly spicy to help clear out my sinuses. It seemed to help out as well. The only downfall is now my hubby is getting sick to. :( We're praying that the cold doesn't pass on to our munchkin! She just turned 15 months old yesterday :) Thank you all for your input and recipes! It means a lot to me that you guys are so sweet and caring!!!! <3 Hope everybody else is doing well and in good health!!!!!
At Last A Love Affair He Can Really Sink His Teeth Into

Image[/URL]
tkw5002

Postby susan60625 on October 21st, 2010, 10:24 pm

Mrs. W., Let me know how you like the sauerkraut recipe. Three tips. Get the sauerkraut WITHOUT the caraway seeds. It kills the flavor! Second, the meat needs to have a decent amount of fat. It's a tough cut of meat which is why it has to cook so long. Without fat, it would dry out. Which leads to the third tip - Don't drain the bacon fat (for the same reason). You'll find that there will be a small amount of solid fat on the refrigerated leftovers, which can be removed before reheating, but there won't be much. Besides, no one said this was a low-cal dish!
susan60625

Next

Return to General Discussion