Home Remedies?

Re: Home Remedies?

Postby jill on November 14th, 2010, 12:57 pm

grlnxtdr29 wrote:I love cuscous with Chicken and asperaguswith a light garlic sauce. I got the recipe from my Aunt, who was born in French Moracco

ooo gosh that sounds absolutely delectable
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” Oscar Wilde
jill

Postby susan60625 on January 4th, 2011, 6:33 pm

susan60625 wrote:GND, that sounds delish! If you like sauerkraut, my grandmother's recipe is super easy! You take 1/2 pound bacon, roughly chopped and brown it in a roasting pan. About halfway through, add in 2 medium-sized roughly chopped onions and cook until onions are clear. Place an approximately 4 lb. pork shoulder roast (you want the blade end, not the knuckle) and cover with a 2 pound bag of sauerkraut (with the juice). Cover the roaster and simmer roast over a low flame for about 2 hours, turning once. You know the meat is done, when you can literally pull the should blade bone from the meat. While the meat & kraut is cooking, peel about 3.5 -4 pounds of potatoes (reds or yukon gold, not baking potatoes) and boil until soft. Strain the potatoes, retaining the cooking water and return to the cook pot. Roughly mash the potatoes. (You want some lumps to remain.) Do NOT add anything to the potatoes. When the meat is done, remove from the roaster and stir the mashed-up potatoes into the cooked sauerkraut. If the potato and kraut mixture is too sour, add some of the potato cooking water to reduce the sharpness. If it is too bland, you can add some separately purchases kraut juice. Slice the meat and serve. When I make this, I eat it all week. But since I love it, I don't mind!

As promised, I'm bumping this up for MysticFan!
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby MysticFan on January 5th, 2011, 8:41 pm

susan60625 wrote:
susan60625 wrote:GND, that sounds delish! If you like sauerkraut, my grandmother's recipe is super easy! You take 1/2 pound bacon, roughly chopped and brown it in a roasting pan. About halfway through, add in 2 medium-sized roughly chopped onions and cook until onions are clear. Place an approximately 4 lb. pork shoulder roast (you want the blade end, not the knuckle) and cover with a 2 pound bag of sauerkraut (with the juice). Cover the roaster and simmer roast over a low flame for about 2 hours, turning once. You know the meat is done, when you can literally pull the should blade bone from the meat. While the meat & kraut is cooking, peel about 3.5 -4 pounds of potatoes (reds or yukon gold, not baking potatoes) and boil until soft. Strain the potatoes, retaining the cooking water and return to the cook pot. Roughly mash the potatoes. (You want some lumps to remain.) Do NOT add anything to the potatoes. When the meat is done, remove from the roaster and stir the mashed-up potatoes into the cooked sauerkraut. If the potato and kraut mixture is too sour, add some of the potato cooking water to reduce the sharpness. If it is too bland, you can add some separately purchases kraut juice. Slice the meat and serve. When I make this, I eat it all week. But since I love it, I don't mind!

As promised, I'm bumping this up for MysticFan!

Thanks so much!! That sounds sooo good! I told my hubby about this and I think he's ready to try it now...lol Once agian thanks so much for bumping this up for me, and mostly thanks for sharing!
"Life can't always be cheesecake."-Elvi Black

MysticFan

Previous

Return to General Discussion