nanowrimo!!!

nanowrimo!!!

Postby alabaster on November 3rd, 2010, 9:32 am

wow. another year already. I'm working on my next novella (I'd say novel, but if i hit 50k in 30 days I'll be thrilled.) I mean we can't all be lynsays. :D

and that's just the rough rough rough rough (sometimes forget to spell check) draft.

however my main character has already surprised the tarnation out of me. he's created his own syndrome (that just happens to be REAL)... he's done his first suicide attempt...and then... he decided he didnt want to do anymore.

at least for now.

Firstly i'd like to say DONT WORRY LYNSAY I WONT PUT THE WHOLE PLOT HERE. heck I dont know what it is yet. It's not really romance... and it's not anything like the argeneaus or the historicals...

i just needed a break to talk to somewhat like minded people (all my argenite friends) and to lament the fact that this guy that i created three weeks ago... and started to plot out.. has already hijacked MY STORY.

and as I'm sitting there type type typing away in the direction i want it to go he throws on the breaks.

I realized that i've heard this from someone before... something about Tiny and Christian and... (I can go on for days) And I knew this is where I needed to vent. Am i upset with him? NOpe Jimmy is a good guy, he's just confused/screwed up... something...he's mutated.. that makes more sense i guess.

And of course I can't just make it a 'medical' thing, i have to change it up... The title is "You can't Kill superman" so ...it deals with superheros ina round about way...

anyways... Hope someone read my rant :D thanks guys!

ps- IS ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE DOING IT? I'm at over 5k words on day 3.
alabaster

Re: nanowrimo!!!

Postby Lynsay on November 3rd, 2010, 6:27 pm

Oh! I'm not doing it officially, but as I mentioned, I am writing again for some unknown reason instead of taking the break I was supposed to get. 5k is good. Keep her up, hon!

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby grlnxtdr29 on November 4th, 2010, 9:24 am

I've tried writing stories before. I have all these great story Ideas in my head, but they always seem to get lost somewhere between my cerebral cortex and the paper. I can TELL you the story, but I can't put it on the paper. I don't know why. A writing proffesor in College said it may have something to do with my dyslexia, alhough he couldn't explain exactly what the connection was. He was working with researchers on a study of different learning disabilities and how they affect other aspects of a person's life, but the study was only in it's beginning phase, so he didn't have any answers for me.

I have been TRYING to write a Vampire story for about 6 years now. I actually at one point had the first 5 chapters done, but then I went back and deleted them because the female lead charactor wasn't cooperating. Every single other charactor in the book was working perfectly, but for some reason she just didn't fit. I did write some short stories in college, and I've considered reworking one of them a Little and submitting it for publication, but the thought kind of scares me.
grlnxtdr29

Postby wren on November 4th, 2010, 10:26 am

grlnxtdr29 wrote:I've tried writing stories before. I have all these great story Ideas in my head, but they always seem to get lost somewhere between my cerebral cortex and the paper. I can TELL you the story, but I can't put it on the paper. I don't know why. A writing proffesor in College said it may have something to do with my dyslexia, alhough he couldn't explain exactly what the connection was. He was working with researchers on a study of different learning disabilities and how they affect other aspects of a person's life, but the study was only in it's beginning phase, so he didn't have any answers for me.

I have been TRYING to write a Vampire story for about 6 years now. I actually at one point had the first 5 chapters done, but then I went back and deleted them because the female lead charactor wasn't cooperating. Every single other charactor in the book was working perfectly, but for some reason she just didn't fit. I did write some short stories in college, and I've considered reworking one of them a Little and submitting it for publication, but the thought kind of scares me.

"Dyslexia is an inherited condition that makes it extremely difficult to read, write, and spell in your native language—despite at least average intelligence. People with dyslexia usually have an "impoverished written product." That means there is a huge difference between their ability to tell you something and their ability to write it down.'"
Also, look into "dysgraphia: This disability is concerned with the child's ability to form words or sentences on a piece of paper, i.e. writing." You may have it as well as dyslexia, yet never have been diagnosed.
wren

Postby Lynsay on November 4th, 2010, 5:18 pm

Grlnxtdr, consider getting Dragon dictate or Dragon Naturally speaking or whatever it's called now. If you can tell the story easier than writing, that might help. You can just dictate the story and avoid whatever process is hampering you.

Lynsay, who uses Dragon dictate to transcribe her chicken scratch from the notebook to the typed word
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby VirtualValkyrie on November 4th, 2010, 10:13 pm

grlnxtdr29 wrote:I've tried writing stories before. I have all these great story Ideas in my head, but they always seem to get lost somewhere between my cerebral cortex and the paper. I can TELL you the story, but I can't put it on the paper. I don't know why. A writing proffesor in College said it may have something to do with my dyslexia, alhough he couldn't explain exactly what the connection was. He was working with researchers on a study of different learning disabilities and how they affect other aspects of a person's life, but the study was only in it's beginning phase, so he didn't have any answers for me.

I know exactly what you mean, I'm dyslexic too. When I do when I try to write (essays, stories or even poems) I take a plain peace of paper and draw a mindmap. I don't know if you know what they are but basically you just write the topic in the middle of the paper and then around it just write the one words that come to mind. Its not sentences but just seeing the topic you want to write about and a word relating to it helps you visualize it, thus making it more clear in your head what you want to write. At least it does for me lol. Otherwise everything in my mind is just a big jumble and I'll just be sitting down literally for hours trying to get one sentence out. I've only ever managed to write short stories and poems at most, even though I have so many characters and plots in my head and my essays in the exams are a nightmare!

Good luck with the book alabaster! :D
"Excellence is not a skill. Its an attitude."
VirtualValkyrie

Postby grlnxtdr29 on November 4th, 2010, 10:43 pm

Dyslexia is one of the three most common learning disabilities currently diagnosed. I was Lucky, I got diagnosed before I started kindergarten, and got the training I needed early to over come it. I still occassionally have trouble when I am really tired, but usually my mind has been trained to automatically correct the problem without having to think about it. Did I mention I have a rare form of Dyslexia? It's not the standard version where you have trouble with b and d or saw and was. I have trouble with T and L and M and W and u and n. I see letters upside down instead of backwards. There is a special name for it, but I can never remember it. One of my Brothers is also Dyslexic, but when he was in school dyslexia was something they were just discovering, and so the teachers thought he was just dumb, and wouldn't try to teach him, they just called him retarded and moved him on to the next grade without addressing his problem. Fortunately when he reached 4th grade, his teacher was one of the researchers studying Dyslexia, and understood what his trouble was, and managed to teach him to read, but because he didn't have that early training, he struggled with it all his life. That is one reason it kind of makes me angry when I learn about people who are in high school and can't read on a first grade level. By the time I reached 3rd grade, I was reading on a 6th grade level, and by the time I reached 6th grade, I was reading on the level of a college freshman.
grlnxtdr29

Return to General Discussion