Holiday Blues

Holiday Blues

Postby grlnxtdr29 on November 22nd, 2010, 11:49 pm

Christmas for me is Usually such a Happy time of the year, but for some reason this year I have the Holiday Blues. I know part of it has to do with the fact that we probably won't be able to buy the kids anything this year because we can barely afford to buy groceries right now. We've had several unexpected expenses come up in the last 3 months, and now we have less than $100 in savings. We've applied for financial aide, but that won't kick in until January, more than Likely. We've been trying to figure out ways to save more money, but like almost everyone else in the country right now, things are really tight. I know Hubby's parents will probably buy the kids Clothes for Christmas, but they probably won't get any toys. It's just a good thing that they are young enough that they won't remember that they didn't get anything. I'm trying to stay positive, but with everything else that has been going wrong this year, it is hard. I wish I could go back in time and make things better somehow. I'm also really Missing my Mom this year. She passed away 5 years ago, and while that first Christmas without her was rough, this year just seems so much Worse and I wish she were here to talk to.
grlnxtdr29

Re: Holiday Blues

Postby cgsdesigns on November 23rd, 2010, 4:09 pm

grlnx, I totally understand the "holiday" blues. I've suffered from them every year since I can remember with the exception of maybe 2 or 3 and those took a lot of work to make good.

About the only thing I found I can do now that will keep me from getting really depressed was to focus on doing things for others. While I totally understand too about things being tight.... I live on disablity alone so I know tight... I find other ways of doing things for others and it really does help.

I do a lot of baking for others. I buy up flour and sugar whenever I find it on sale. I will even go to some of the small farms in the area and "trade" for eggs. I snatch up any zuchinni I can find, shred it and freeze it. I know you can't save up and do this real quick, but, if you have anything around to make for others, that's always fun.

Another I've done is to sit and make holiday cards to take down to the old folks home. Those are always appreciated as many residents don't get any cards or presents. Your kids might really enjoy that too and learn that Christmas is more than just presents under the tree. And the pictures don't need to be fancy, turn the kids loose with some crayons and then write Happy Holidays on them and go.

As far as your mom being gone, I kinda understand that one too. I lost my older sister 5 years ago and Christmas is always harder since. Then last year I lost my best friend and roommate on Dec 4th. Last Christmas was a killer for me. I know this one won't be any easier. But, I will do what I can and I'll get through it. I always do. And who knows, maybe next year will be easier for a change.

That's the only way I know how to deal with the holiday blah's. I do hope this helps you in some way get through things.

And now you all know why Halloween is my favorite holiday! Not only do I get to be a vampire for a day, it ain't Christmas!
cgsdesigns

Postby sherr on November 24th, 2010, 5:14 am

grinxtdr - the holidays are always hard financially for everyone.....my friend who is a single mom has a hard time everyyear but she was able to get toys for her kids through the Salvation Army....they are new toys....our newspaper sponsers half a dozen families even though they didn't get selected they gave each child a new toy. Also our school sponsers families over the holiday she got a box of food and books and toys for her kids. don't be to proud to ask for help.....I actually asked the school if they sponsered families and if they would considered sponsering her for this mother. Even keeping the holiday busy will distract them and they won't notice it as much...even a colouring book and crayons were always my favorite
good girls don't make history and I plan on being very historical
sherr

Postby Lynsay on November 24th, 2010, 11:37 am

I've never been that big on Christmas. This year could be a tough one emotionally. Jackie and her family are taking off for St. Lucia, and Terri and her mate have his family stuff. We are spending Christmas eve together and having lunch Christmas day with Terri, Leigh and family. But boy the house is going to seem quiet afterward. (grimace) We'll see. I'm trying to keep positive. The last week has kinda been crap. Actually, it's been crap for everyone I know, Grlnxtdr, so hang in there. It was a full moon. Maybe that was it. Lets hope anyway that things and spirits brighten the next little while.

Hugs
Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby grlnxtdr29 on November 24th, 2010, 9:22 pm

I suppose it could be worse. Atleast we have a roof over our heads. Having been homeless once before, it's not something I ever want to be again. That's something I can be thankfull for, atleast.
grlnxtdr29

Postby Jewelz on November 25th, 2010, 2:51 am

I know its a tough time for many. Christmas should be about family, love, and friendship. Now a days its about giving presents. When I was stuggling through college and even before college, it never failed every year I'd stress out because of Christmas, and I'd get depressed. My family is huge and everyone likes to buy gifts for each other. During that time I rarely had extra money after bills, gas, and groceries. :|

In my experiance, we have certain family members that tend to turn their nose's up when they are dissatisfied with their gifts received. Its very obvious in the eye's of many other family members too. Its even to the point to where my mother started dictating what we can and can't buy certain family members. :( You can never surprise them, because 80% of the time they are dissapointed. I've decided I'm no longer playing that game any more. :lol: I'm not going to go out and buy gift certificates to their favorite store either. It to the point where we just exchange money in a card. Very sad!!! I have fifteen nieces and nephews, who are all very grateful and enjoy their gifts. Its really for the children anyway! :D That's why Thanksgiving will always be my favorite Holiday. I love the spiritual side of Christmas, but thats about it!

Thanksgiving is all about family, friendship, love and lots of good food! ;) Of course, thats just my opinion. I'm very thankful to have been able to join Lynsay's forum, and make many friends here. Your all special, and I hope you all have a safe and very Happy Thanksgiving!!! :D

Love is like a butterfly, it goes where it please's, and please's where it goes. :-)
Jewelz

Postby Rawr on November 25th, 2010, 3:53 am

I know of several christmas drives. Like Toys for Tots, school christmas drives, salvation army and your local fire dept. will probably do something similar too. Also don't discount homemade gifts. Make a ornament kit you can make with the kids. If you have some paper, scissors, crayons, sparkly things, etc. Kids love making things. Also since everyone on here has given me so much joy. I can send you some Cthulhu Pops for your children. I have a small local business I do via craft fairs and game stores and such. They are lolipops made out of cake, frosting and white chocolate on a stick. They last about two, two and a half weeks and they are decorated as little creatures with funny faces like this 0w0. I'll be making some for selling anyway so if you are interested just message me. Just curious how old are your children?
Rawr

Postby grlnxtdr29 on November 25th, 2010, 5:29 pm

My Daughter is 3 1/2 and son is 1 1/2. Daughter may also be Autistic, and doesn't really color yet, except on the walls.
grlnxtdr29

Postby Denise on November 26th, 2010, 2:59 am

Cathy (grlnxtdr) you indicated on another thread that you were on Facebook. I don't seem to have you on my friends list there. What's your id?
Denise

Postby grlnxtdr29 on November 26th, 2010, 9:49 am

Cathy Y is my ID on facebook. Can add me as a friend if you like. Mostly the only reason I joined was because of Lynsay ;)
grlnxtdr29

Next

Return to General Discussion