Just a fiction writer?

Just a fiction writer?

Postby TomEC on January 14th, 2011, 5:34 pm

Lynsay wrote:But what do I know? I'm just a fiction writer. LOL.

I know Lynsay was sort of joking when she wrote that, hence the LOL. Somehow, after I read it, that statement kept rattling around in my head, along with a bit of spare change and an old whistle, until I had to write this. This is my opinion anyway.

Writing is a skill we learn at school. Writing well is a talent born of practice and a love for language. Writing fiction is a wonder indeed “such stuff as dreams are made on.” Not the dreams where you wake up chewing on your pillow but the kind that make you forget you’re on a boring commute or waiting in the dentist’s office; the kind that kept me up to the wee hours of the morning and made the hard-working farmer that was my Dad shake his head and wonder if I would amount to anything, reading such foolishness. (The jury’s sit out on that one.)

Lynsay is clearly a hard-working, talented person who has plenty of reason to be proud but she just as clearly has one of the most endearing qualities there is: humility. So she can rest assured that I’m not trying to place her on a pedestal so much as make a point about what she does and does brilliantly: write fiction.

Is there such thing as just a fiction writer?

I have no doubt that many on this forum (including myself) have tried writing fiction. Some of us, perhaps, have been more successful at it then others. We’re all the better for having tried and we have learned that writing good fiction is hard. I’m sure it gets somewhat easier after having written dozens of books but I doubt the hours of editing and the deadlines ever do.

But really, “ just a fiction writer?”

You need to be awfully smart to be a good fiction writer. To make her fiction true Lynsay must have to do a lot of research. Even if she has someone doing research for her, she would still have to assimilate that knowledge to use it in her stories. How much do you need to know about everyday life in the past to write a historic romance? It seems to me even a book set in the present day, such as “Love Bites” would still require a lot of knowledge about procedures for coroners and the police. You simply can’t know too much about too many subjects. You can’t pick up anything without finding that it’s attached to everything else in the universe. I doubt the research could ever really end. Of course, if you’re a curious person, you wouldn’t mind.

Then there’s all that business of plot, character, point of view and all the other stuff they teach in creative writing class. What it comes down to, I think, is that you have to make the story live. Like any good fiction writer, Lynsay creates people, setting, whole worlds out her own imagination and gives them life. I doubt, when she writes about Marguerit, Lynsay has to think too hard about what she would do or say in any given situation. Marguerit would simply be herself and Lynsay could then write it. That’s because these characters have come to life and in some ways are more real than many flesh-and-blood people I know. Through their eyes we get to visit their universe, laugh and cry with them and then go back and take the journey again if we want. They become a part of our lives and our lives are enriched.

How many professions are there, where you can say that about the product they produce?

Just a fiction writer indeed!
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Re: Just a fiction writer?

Postby Lynsay on January 14th, 2011, 10:41 pm

Thank you, Thomas. And you are right, they have come to life. Sometime I just feel like that chick in court who records what happens...The stenographer? Anyway, often it just feels like I'm scrambling to write what the characters are doing. I gave up trying to plot a long time ago. I start with a loose idea that is flexible because half the time the characters do whatever the heck they want and surprise me with what that is. It seems so real, in fact, that when the editor wants to change something, my mind screams, "But that's not what happened!" LOL. Perhaps I'm a little mad, but if so, I don't mind. I love these people as much as you guys do. They are my family, and they add joy and entertainment to my life too.

Thank you for appreciating, loving and enjoying them as much as I do
Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby susan60625 on January 15th, 2011, 12:28 am

Lynsay, that's why we always refer to the fact that we hope so-and-so talks to you to tell you their story. We also understand when a character gets grumpy and refuses to help you out when we all are yammering for more on a specific character (Stefano comes to mind! :roll: ) I'm just happy right now that Christian got really talkative and gave you a good long story! I'm dying to see what he told you! I hope he kept some of my secrets! :oops:
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby wren on January 15th, 2011, 7:13 am

susan60625 wrote: (Stefano comes to mind! :roll: )

Wonder if good old Stefano has learned to deal & is ready to cooperate & get his story told! :lol: And...still want to learn more about Neil. We don't know much about him...so far.
wren

Postby Denise on January 19th, 2011, 12:17 am

Well said, Thomas!
Denise

Postby MysticFan on January 20th, 2011, 1:13 am

Tom, all I can say is, Bravo! :D
Sorry this late, but I just saw this post today.
"Life can't always be cheesecake."-Elvi Black

MysticFan

Postby TomEC on January 20th, 2011, 3:27 pm

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. :D When you pour you heart into your posts, you hope for feedback and the comment from Lynsay was everything I dared hope for. I love the peek into her writing process and to know that she loves these characters as much as we all do. Not that I ever doubted it.

Though I meant every word of that post, I have to confess, to a bit of an ulterior motive for this topic. I was kind of hoping to start a discussion on the subject storytelling and fiction writing. I didn’t think it would be too difficult; I mean doesn’t every sports fan wish they could be out there staring in the big game? Doesn’t every music fan wish they could be up there on the stage, electric guitar in hand, belting out a song in front of an enthusiastic crowd? Don’t we daydream about things like that? So is it any stretch to assume that many of us not only love and admire Lynsay but wish we could be her, at least the successful author part. I’m sure Lynsay wouldn’t hold that against us. So why can’t we daydream here together and talk about fiction itself, from the standpoint of the audience and the storyteller? In this internet age, I wouldn’t be surprised if forums like this have already played midwife to newborn literary careers. Some people just need the courage and self-confidence to try. You don’t have to achieve the kind of success Lynsay has to consider yourself successful either. Friends and family are a pretty good fan base and the sheer joy and satisfaction of storytelling can be a wonderful reward. But, even if you have no such ambitions, don’t you think such a discussion would be fun? :)

That’s my pitch anyway.

I’m going to yammer on more about this subject and how it relates to my love for stories, Lynsay’s in particular, later. I hope some of you will put in your two cents worth. I’m hoping for a discussion not a soapbox for me to blather on. That could get awfully boring. :roll:
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby rockie on January 20th, 2011, 4:11 pm

TomEC wrote:Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. :D When you pour you heart into your posts, you hope for feedback and the comment from Lynsay was everything I dared hope for. I love the peek into her writing process and to know that she loves these characters as much as we all do. Not that I ever doubted it.

Though I meant every word of that post, I have to confess, to a bit of an ulterior motive for this topic. I was kind of hoping to start a discussion on the subject storytelling and fiction writing. I didn’t think it would be too difficult; I mean doesn’t every sports fan wish they could be out there staring in the big game? Doesn’t every music fan wish they could be up there on the stage, electric guitar in hand, belting out a song in front of an enthusiastic crowd? Don’t we daydream about things like that? So is it any stretch to assume that many of us not only love and admire Lynsay but wish we could be her, at least the successful author part. I’m sure Lynsay wouldn’t hold that against us. So why can’t we daydream here together and talk about fiction itself, from the standpoint of the audience and the storyteller? In this internet age, I wouldn’t be surprised if forums like this have already played midwife to newborn literary careers. Some people just need the courage and self-confidence to try. You don’t have to achieve the kind of success Lynsay has to consider yourself successful either. Friends and family are a pretty good fan base and the sheer joy and satisfaction of storytelling can be a wonderful reward. But, even if you have no such ambitions, don’t you think such a discussion would be fun? :)

That’s my pitch anyway.

I’m going to yammer on more about this subject and how it relates to my love for stories, Lynsay’s in particular, later. I hope some of you will put in your two cents worth. I’m hoping for a discussion not a soapbox for me to blather on. That could get awfully boring. :roll:

The whole this is well said Thomas, I agree about talking about fiction, it is a driving force in this world for people to escape and be in the different place and time created by an author. I think this is a cool topic and can't wait to hear more about it.. :D
AEA Sister♥☮☆♪
Sisterhood of the Traveling Fangs♥☮☆♪
Live
.♫
⋰**
⋱♫ ..Laugh
( ``✫•♫
`✫•.¸ )
¸. ✶♫....L♥ve
( ``✫•~
rockie

Postby Lynsay on January 26th, 2011, 11:01 am

TomEC wrote:Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. :D When you pour you heart into your posts, you hope for feedback and the comment from Lynsay was everything I dared hope for. I love the peek into her writing process and to know that she loves these characters as much as we all do. Not that I ever doubted it.

That’s my pitch anyway.

Some days you definitely wouldn't want to be me. LOL. Writing can take a toll. At least the way I write. By the last few days of writing I'm usually horribly sleep deprived and running on adrenaline, which probably isn't very good for health, but it's the only way I know how to do it. Of course, it helps to have friends and family who are extremely patient and understand you. Who will back off and let you do your thing without making you feel bad, and be there when you're done and can climb out of your head to rejoin them.

Any one of you could do it though. I wasn't born under a star or anything. I'm just a small town girl who loved to read a lot and likes to imagine what if. If I can do it, any of you can. Just drop a couple characters into the midst of some chaos and watch them struggle their way out....Then write it down. You all have imagination and that's all you need.

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby Denise on January 27th, 2011, 11:26 pm

It just bugs me to no end to see Fiction Writers looked down upon. At least non-fiction writers have their facts already handed to them. They just have to put them into some sort of order. Non-fiction writers have to make the facts up AND put them into some semblance of order. Double task, IMO.
Denise

Next

Return to General Discussion