Just a fiction writer?

Re: Just a fiction writer?

Postby Lynsay on January 28th, 2011, 11:21 am

LOL. Well, every business has their politics, and yes we're not looked on very highly, but...shrug. I'm happy doing what I do so who cares what other people think? Besides, fiction sells better than non-fiction most of the time so they have to feel superior somehow (Grin)

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby wren on January 28th, 2011, 12:49 pm

I read a lot of non-fiction when I need or want to learn about something. I read a lot more fiction for the sheer enjoyment & happiness of it...the adventures of different worlds...the imagination & fun...and I often find that I learn a lot in the process. Fiction writers do a great deal of research to make their stories genuine, especially those that have historical or scientific elements in their books.

Ever play the board game "Cranium?" I often know a lot of the language, especially vocabulary, and history answers, so people try not to let me get that category! Last time I played, I knew an answer because of the historical fiction that I read! It's amazing what I've learned about medieval times and the Regency era & Nano-Technology & Folk-Lore over the last few years, and it didn't come out of a textbook! ;)

There are some popular homeschooling methods that are literature-based or unit-studies, with textbooks and non-fiction spine books included to aid in research...but the majority of the focus is on "living books." Good fiction books form the backbone of some of the best ways to learn! Good classroom teachers read fiction to their students!
Having taught both ways, I know that fiction is a necessity! I look very highly on fiction writers! :D
wren

Postby TomEC on January 28th, 2011, 3:14 pm

It’s strange to me that anyone would even compare fiction with nonfiction books, a bit like comparing movies with documentaries, or apples with oranges. They both have their place. Either can be done well or done poorly. I’m a knowledge junky so I like nonfiction. However I LOVE good fiction. Fiction, in books particularly, has kept me sane through some very hard times in my life. I need it! Fiction keeps me real. Anyone who looks down on fiction writers or considers their contribution to the world as lesser is speaking from profound ignorance.

Nonfiction has expanded my knowledge. Fiction has expanded both my knowledge and my spirit in ways I find difficult to express. I don’t usually have a hard time expressing myself about anything. I just know that I wouldn’t be the person I am today if I hadn’t taken that journey with my favorite authors and if that, in turn, hadn’t inspired me to blaze my own trails and do some writing myself. I’ve come to appreciate fiction writing from both sides; and love it from both sides.

I have to confess a bit of my own snobbery here. When I was growing up my Mom had a large collection of Harlequin romances. To me they all had a kind of cookie-cutter sameness about them as if they’d come off an assembly line. Over the years when I would see romance novels on the newsstands the covers seemed to give me the same overall sense of a clichéd formula being followed again and again with just the names and the outfits being switched around. It never occurred to me that romance could be anything more than that. As a result I have had a rather low opinion of it. Recently, books like Lynsay’s have turned me around somewhat on that point. I guess it’s true that every genre of fiction has it’s clichés and lesser works. Considering that I come from the world of science fiction and fantasy fandom, a genre of fiction largely looked down upon by the mavens of so-called mainstream fiction, I should have known better. Actually, now that I think of it, there have always been strong romantic elements in my favorite books and stories. Perhaps I was something of a romance fan without even knowing it. Though the long descriptions of impossibly mind-blowing...um...friendliness have never done a thing for me. Maybe that’s a woman thing. Nevertheless, I apologize for my prejudice. Maybe I’ll even read one of Lynsay’s non-Argeneau romances someday. Maybe. Someday.

I notice, Lynsay, that you don’t seem terribly broken up about some people not thinking very highly of what you do. A guess there’s no reason to worry about what they think when you have fans like the ones on this forum.

Hey Wren, sounds like you would be a fun person to play Trivial Pursuit with. I frequently have have a hard time getting a game going. No one around here seems to appreciate trivia (as if any knowledge were trivial).
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby wren on January 30th, 2011, 4:33 pm

TomEC wrote:It’s strange to me that anyone would even compare fiction with nonfiction books, a bit like comparing movies with documentaries, or apples with oranges. They both have their place. Either can be done well or done poorly. I’m a knowledge junky so I like nonfiction. However I LOVE good fiction. Fiction, in books particularly, has kept me sane through some very hard times in my life. I need it! Fiction keeps me real. Anyone who looks down on fiction writers or considers their contribution to the world as lesser is speaking from profound ignorance.

Very well said, Thomas!!!! :D

TomEC wrote:I notice, Lynsay, that you don’t seem terribly broken up about some people not thinking very highly of what you do. A guess there’s no reason to worry about what they think when you have fans like the ones on this forum.

While Lynsay is modest by nature, she is also realistic. You can't please everyone no matter what you do. I like to believe that her forum family does help keep her spirits up when she has other negative people criticizing rather than critiquing her work! Though critique & criticize are synonyms, there is a vast difference in how they are applied. Critiquing usually tries to give a fair and objective view of a person or thing, while criticizing usually focuses on the negatives of a person or thing.

TomEC wrote:Hey Wren, sounds like you would be a fun person to play Trivial Pursuit with. I frequently have have a hard time getting a game going. No one around here seems to appreciate trivia (as if any knowledge were trivial).

I love trivia games, which is how many of the forum games got started. That's how I became the "Quizinator" ;) :lol: You are right...it's hard to get a good game of Trivial Pursuit going...I know my board game is dusty from lack of having anyone willing to play! :oops: :P :)
wren

Postby susan60625 on January 30th, 2011, 6:44 pm

wren wrote:
TomEC wrote:Hey Wren, sounds like you would be a fun person to play Trivial Pursuit with. I frequently have have a hard time getting a game going. No one around here seems to appreciate trivia (as if any knowledge were trivial).

I love trivia games, which is how many of the forum games got started. That's how I became the "Quizinator" ;) :lol: You are right...it's hard to get a good game of Trivial Pursuit going...I know my board game is dusty from lack of having anyone willing to play! :oops: :P :)

Did someone say Trivial Pursuit? People refuse to play with me because I tend to know a lot of the answers or can make educated guesses. :cry:
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby TomEC on January 31st, 2011, 11:41 am

wren wrote:
While Lynsay is modest by nature, she is also realistic. You can't please everyone no matter what you do. I like to believe that her forum family does help keep her spirits up when she has other negative people criticizing rather than critiquing her work! Though critique & criticize are synonyms, there is a vast difference in how they are applied. Critiquing usually tries to give a fair and objective view of a person or thing, while criticizing usually focuses on the negatives of a person or thing.

That is a terrific point Wren. :) I think humility is very important in all aspects of life and being humble is all about being realistic. One of the things about Lynsay that I like is the fact that she doesn't take herself too seriously.Those people who think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread seem to have a hard time taking criticism and I doubt that you could last very long as an author if you didn't have a thick skin when it came to things like that.There is also such a thing as constructive criticism. If that's sincerely given we can learn a lot from it and it can be extremely helpful.

This is the first post that I've done with the help of Dragon NaturallySpeaking. I think I'm in a have a blast with this thing. :D
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby Lynsay on February 2nd, 2011, 11:11 pm

You guys are sweet. Trust me, bad reviews and criticism still hurt. But as Wren says, I try to remember not everyone is going to like my stories, or even me. And no I don't mind my stories being looked down on by other genres. I'm sure I myself would be looked down on by "the upper crust" too. I'm also sure I'm looked down on by some people I meet or know. Shrug. I myself don't judge others because I don't want to be judged. I have friends who make good money, moderate money, little money, and even no money. I have friends who are extremely intelligent and friends who are less so. I have friends who are beautiful and those who are not so beautiful. If you look hard enough there is something good about almost everyone.

In the end, I'm just me. In the same way, my stories are just my stories. I don't pretend to be anything I'm not, or that I write anything high-faluting or special. If people have a problem with it....it's there problem. If they want to look down on it, then they can. Doesn't mean I have to look up to them or care <grin>

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby TomEC on February 3rd, 2011, 2:35 pm

Lynsay wrote:You guys are sweet. Trust me, bad reviews and criticism still hurt. But as Wren says, I try to remember not everyone is going to like my stories, or even me. And no I don't mind my stories being looked down on by other genres. I'm sure I myself would be looked down on by "the upper crust" too. I'm also sure I'm looked down on by some people I meet or know. Shrug. I myself don't judge others because I don't want to be judged. I have friends who make good money, moderate money, little money, and even no money. I have friends who are extremely intelligent and friends who are less so. I have friends who are beautiful and those who are not so beautiful. If you look hard enough there is something good about almost everyone.

In the end, I'm just me. In the same way, my stories are just my stories. I don't pretend to be anything I'm not, or that I write anything high-faluting or special. If people have a problem with it....it's there problem. If they want to look down on it, then they can. Doesn't mean I have to look up to them or care <grin>

Lynsay

I think you hit the nail on the head there, Lynsay. Some people waste a good part of their lives worrying about whether to look that up or down at people. You could get a sore neck just thinking about it. In the end none of that stuff really means anything. We have our friends and family and that's what matters. :)

As for your stories, in the immortal (no pun intended) words of Ricky Nelson "ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself." Rest assured, your stories please us, your fans, very well indeed. We say they're special and that makes them pretty darn special in my humble opinion. As I pointed out earlier in this thread, you are personally responsible for turning my opinion around when it comes to romance fiction. No high-falutin Pulitzer prize-winning piece of literary fiction did that, your stories did. I'm one prejudice lighter because of your wonderful, warm, humor-filled tales. I doubt I'm the only one who can say that but I thank you for it. There will always be people who don't like your books, some people don't like chocolate, but please keep writing them anyway. :D
TomEC

Postby Denise on February 4th, 2011, 6:38 pm

What really irritates me is the people who write reviews on books that were obviously not the style of book they like in the first place and then they slam the author so bad. I mean REALLY? It's not an author's fault that you don't like their particular style of writing, so be fair with your review, not hateful.
Denise

Postby wren on February 8th, 2011, 5:53 pm

Denise wrote:What really irritates me is the people who write reviews on books that were obviously not the style of book they like in the first place and then they slam the author so bad. I mean REALLY? It's not an author's fault that you don't like their particular style of writing, so be fair with your review, not hateful.

I'm in total agreement with you, Denise! These are the negative, critical people I was talking about...they don't critique fairly, reading a book to review it objectively. Instead they simply criticize, most often in the hateful way you mentioned, which doesn't help anybody...maybe it just feeds their need for being miserable.

I wouldn't do reviews on horror books, though I still respect many of the authors and their talent for writing it, because I generally don't read that genre. I couldn't do a fair review on a genre that I don't understand very well or enjoy reading. You cannot be objective about an author if you don't like their style of art or if you have a mindset that you won't like a book before you even begin. It is unkind to an author to slam them just because you don't like their style of books, and it is rude & unfair to the readers who are trying to get an objective & realistic review of an author & book before making their purchase. Just my seldom humble opinion, once again! Image
wren

Previous

Return to General Discussion