Did someone say SNOW?????

Did someone say SNOW?????

Postby susan60625 on February 1st, 2011, 7:54 pm

I know Denise was saying on FB that they got officially 13 inches in Tulsa, but here in Chicago they are predicting 18-24 inches of snow overnight! They are also predicting that we will be getting 18-25 foot waves on Lake Michigan crashing onto our lakefront - beaches, parks and the infamous Lake Shore Drive!. We are even having Thunder Snow! I'm so glad I don't have to go out anywhere in the near future! Hey Lynsay, are they predicting if you are going to be getting any of this in the Toronto area? It looks like it, but the weather service here has enough to cover here in the States that they aren't talking about Canada!
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Re: Did someone say SNOW?????

Postby grlnxtdr29 on February 1st, 2011, 8:02 pm

we got it here before you got it there, Sue. we've gotten almost a foot already since noon. I happen to glance out the window when the Poor Snowplow driver was attempting to do his job. Notice I said ATTEMPTING. 10 seconds after he passed it loojked like he had never been there....
grlnxtdr29

Postby susan60625 on February 1st, 2011, 8:48 pm

I can't see out of my computer room window. The snow has completely covered it. It's blowing so hard, I can't see across the courtyard from the other windows. It should be very interesting to see what my world looks like when I wake up tomorrow. It'll probably be pretty, at least for a little while, when people start moving around and getting everything all dirty!
susan60625

Postby TomEC on February 2nd, 2011, 11:50 am

Up here in Saskatchewan we missed the storm by a wide margin. We're just sitting in a deep freeze with nasty windchill. Southern Ontario is all over the news though. Toronto got plastered good. I hope everyone in the path of the storm was able to stay at home. It's definitely a snow day for them.

This reminds me of the storm we had back in the mid-70s. I got to miss a week of school and afterward there were snow drifts as high as our house. The drifts were so hardpacked we could walk on top of them. We had new ready-made toboggan hills all over town and snow forts galore. We loved it. The farmers didn't much care for it though. Cattle were walking right out of their corrals over the hard drifts. But us kids just didn't care. Oh the memories.

I think if everybody uses common sense and respects nature they should be okay though. Be well everybody.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby grlnxtdr29 on February 2nd, 2011, 12:42 pm

We had 2 fatal accidents in our area yesterday. i haven't yet heard who the victims were, or if we knew them, but 2 fatalities isn't as bad as it could have been, as there were atleast 15 accidents along on road alone, and another 7 on another road. Haven't heard the final count of how many accidents total, but my F I L is on the board of the local Volunteer fire department, and he said that there were so many that they didn't have enough personel and equipment to get to all of them, and one of the fatalities may have been prevented if they had more people and rigs...
grlnxtdr29

Postby susan60625 on February 2nd, 2011, 12:51 pm

Well, we are now being told that our official snow total is at 19.5 inches but that could still change. I know that in the courtyard of my apartment building got slammed. The bushes that line the walkways are completely buried, and they are about three feet tall. But the entrance to the courtyard faces north and that was the way the wind was blowing last night. The crazy part of the storm was that we actually had Thunder snow! That was the wild! Seeing lightning and then hearing thunder during a blizzard in February was actually pretty cool! But the weather people say that during that period, the snow was actually coming down at a rate of 3-5 inches an hour.

As of now, the new snow has stopped but there is still a lot of blowing and drifting. Tonight, they are saying that the bottom will fall out of our temperatures. They are predicting temperatures below zero BEFORE the wind chill.

Don't you just love winter!?!?!?!?!
susan60625

Postby TomEC on February 2nd, 2011, 2:18 pm

susan60625 wrote:Tonight, they are saying that the bottom will fall out of our temperatures. They are predicting temperatures below zero BEFORE the wind chill.

Don't you just love winter!?!?!?!?!

"Below zero BEFORE the wind chill?" I envy you that you can say it that way. Up here we don't call it cold until it's at least -20. Today it just got above zero Fahrenheit (we use Celsius around here) and everybody's thinking of it as T-shirt weather (a bit of hyperbole there). It seems not a winter goes by without hearing, on the news, about somebody freezing to death out there.

There is this girl who moved out here from the West Coast, where winter barely exists, who insists on running around outside without a winter coat. Of course by running around outside I mean that she runs from her house to her car then from her car to wherever she's going. Still, I think she's a fool. I grew up in this country and I don't consider myself weak of constitution when it comes to the elements but I wouldn't go anywhere at this time of year without a coat. If you don't respect it, a prairie winter can kill you.

Stay safe out there everyone! :)
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby Lynsay on February 2nd, 2011, 10:17 pm

IT's probably because it's dry out there, Tom. It feels colder when there's moisture in the air and we have a lot of moisture here. The heat there probably doesn't feel as bad either because the prairies are dryer....That or she's just plain crazy (grin) ACtually thats what I found weird about England, it didn't get as cold but seemed to chill you to the bone because it was so darned damp there.

Susan, we didn't get hit bad at all in the end...and they canceled schools the night before in anticipation. The kids are happy as heck but the rest of us are kind of going...huh?

Lynsay, grateful we didn't get hit hard. I am soooooo SICK of winter!
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby TomEC on February 3rd, 2011, 4:30 am

That's a good point about humidity. I felt it myself visiting out east in the winter.It is dryer on the prairies and that makes a difference. Of course when the temperature gets below -40 and the windchill makes it feel like -55, I never seem to remember to tell myself, "but its a dry cold." Oh well, I can't really complain, we don't get nearly as much snow here as you all have to put up with out east. There's an upside to everywhere I guess.

I'm glad snowmageddon didn't hit you folks in Ontario as bad as the news was making it sound like it was going to. My heart goes out to all you who did get plastered. Again I say, respect nature's wrath and stay safe.
TomEC

Postby TomEC on February 3rd, 2011, 1:16 pm

Oh and by the way, those of you who were hit hard by the blizzard, how the heck are you all doing? Hope everybody's all right.

Sorry Susan for taking your thread down a rat hole.
TomEC

Next

Return to General Discussion