gotta love the 80's

gotta love the 80's

Postby terri on February 17th, 2011, 10:32 am

Who didn't love the 80's?

Lynsay and I strongly disagree on this decade. I say it was the most eclectic decade we've had. We had so many different styles, the preps, the nerds, the goths, the gypsy chic, the shoulder pads, the lag warmers and don't forget the neon craze we had early on in that decade.

And the music... Wild Thing by Tone Loc, Turning Japanese by The Vapors, Erasure's Take a Chance on Me... oh! and Rock Me Amadeus. So cheesy yet so good.

And the movies... Ferris Bueller, Uncle Buck, Sixteen Candles still rate in my top ten. You couldn't deny John Hughes had a way with humour.

NO?

<G>

Terri - 80's revivalist
terri
Site Admin

Re: gotta love the 80's

Postby wren on February 17th, 2011, 12:38 pm

Gotta go with you on this one, Terri! I had a lot of fun & good things to happen in the 80s...including meeting & marrying my frog prince! So many styles & so much good music, too! 8-)

Perhaps a little less makeup & big hair would have been better, but hey...I was young enough to pull it off! Besides, just about all of us had perms! :lol:
wren

Postby sin on February 17th, 2011, 1:39 pm

The 80's weren't too bad but I liked the 70's better. Tho I am not fond of the 90's

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby terri on February 17th, 2011, 2:26 pm

Many people LOVED the 70's too. I have a little hate on for the 70's unfortunately but it's not the era's fault. I blame my parents. Being trapped in the car for 26 hours and being bombarded by bad 70's music. There was nothing I could do but listen and listen and listen some more. Although I did like the Who and of course they didn't listen to them.

Sigh... sorry Sin. Maybe I just never gave the poor 70's a chance after the audio abuse my parents forced on my poor ears. LOL

T
terri
Site Admin

Postby TomEC on February 17th, 2011, 2:49 pm

Think I found something to love and something to hate in both the seventies and eighties. I liked a lot of the music in the seventies but not all of it, same with the eighties. I HATE the hair and clothing stiles of most of the seventies and the cars of that era were mostly over-sized rust buckets. When I think of pop culture of the eighties, Michael Jackson, Madonna and Culture Club rush through my head. I wasn't a fan of any of those. The eighties where the decade that saw me put my future on hold to be my Dad's primary care giver. I'd do it again but it wasn't a happy period and I'm still trying to make up for the time I lost. Oh well, maybe this new decade will be fun. It's certainly starting out interesting, with Theresa at my side and more older relatives needing care.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby susan60625 on February 17th, 2011, 3:06 pm

I have nothing against the 80's, but I still think my heart is in the 70's. I was in high school in the last years of that decade (I graduated in 1980) so those memories are a big part of the reason. I mean who can beat the wonderful age of DISCO!!!!!! I remember my friends and I all lined up to do the Hustle and the Bus Stop! I even love the hard rock of that time - Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, The Rolling Stones - what's not to love????

Oh, and Terri, I gotta say your taste in movies is impeccable! Ferris Bueller! Not only does it showcase my hometown, but I was actually filmed for the movie, but got left on the cutting room floor! :cry: In the parade scene, I was actually on the reviewing stand and sang both the American and German National Anthems along with America the Beautiful with the local military base's Marching Band. Unfortunately, it was an election year and there were too many politicians on the reviewing stand with me and the movie producers felt that they couldn't show them all. So, they put in their own reviewing stand. Boo!
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby terri on February 17th, 2011, 4:11 pm

I totally agree Sue...boo!

Aw... I would have liked you to have been in it. Then we could all watch Ferris Bueller's day off again and say.. I knew someone in the movie! LOL

Well as I said I do think I've been a little harsh with the 70's and there has been the odd song and band I liked from then. I just don't delve further back than the 80's as I get all tripped up in the Talking Heads, Duran Duran and Depeche Mode (yes I did love them as a teeny bopper).

Terri - cheesy 80's fan
terri
Site Admin

Postby grlnxtdr29 on February 17th, 2011, 8:55 pm

As a Graduate of the Class of 1990, I spent my school years in the 80's, and I think you left out a few of the cliques, Terri. You neglected to mention the Valley Girls (for sure!), there were also the nerds (Anthoney Edwards was geeky hot in Revenge of the Nerds), the Yuppies (preppies on crack is what my ex boy friend used to call them), the punks with the Spiked Mohawks, and those who refused to let the 70's die a peacefull death. which group did I fall in? Hehe, wouldn't you all like to know?
grlnxtdr29

Postby rockie on February 17th, 2011, 9:20 pm

Well Im quite fond of the 80's since I was born in the 80's! The late 80's 87 that is... I rather like the 60's even though Im wasn't born then! Im a hippie at heart! Peace love and everything!! :D The 90's were good.. since I was a kid and grew up in the 90's! I mean the 90's and 2000's are all I really know.. lol
AEA Sister♥☮☆♪
Sisterhood of the Traveling Fangs♥☮☆♪
Live
.♫
⋰**
⋱♫ ..Laugh
( ``✫•♫
`✫•.¸ )
¸. ✶♫....L♥ve
( ``✫•~
rockie

Postby wren on February 18th, 2011, 3:55 am

TomEC wrote:When I think of pop culture of the eighties, Michael Jackson, Madonna and Culture Club rush through my head. I wasn't a fan of any of those.

Neither was I, Thomas! Of those three, Michael Jackson has a couple of songs on Thriller that I liked, but I didn't care for the music or pop culture associated with any of them. I'm not too big on pop music. The music for me in the 80s was influenced by what I loved growing up...Gospel, Rock (I relate more to "The King of Rock & Roll" aka "The King" Elvis Presley than I do to "The King of Pop" Michael Jackson), Country, Musicals, and more. I sang with my family, and in church & school choirs. I was drawn to a lot of Country music in this time, as well as a few fave rock bands. I either like something or I don't. Know thyself! 8-)

Through my early life & teen years, I was much too independent to go along with what is "popular" at the time...whether it be fads, trends, brand names...if it didn't suit me, I just did my own thing in my own 'quiet' way. Imagine that? ;) The early 80s would test me, and I learned it's not always the best thing to be remain quiet and have others trying to walk over you or to try to argue & get nowhere. It's also when I learned that you cannot change someone, even if it's best for their health, love, family, or any other reason. Eventually, I stood my ground, and walked away from the not-so-good situations & influences that I had allowed to surround me. Don't get me wrong. I believe when most of us graduate from our school years and enter our college/career/young adult needing to leave the nest years, tests are inevitable in our lives.

I remain too independent to go along with what is popular or what another person says I must or must not do or must or must not like. God gave me a brain & I know how to use it. It was during the 80s that I learned that I would never "settle" for who or what wasn't right for me. I credit my parents for giving me a solid foundation, so that when those young adulthood tests came, I did grow in the right direction. Once that was determined, the rest of the 80s were as our sweet rockie would say "all good!" :D

sin wrote:The 80's weren't too bad but I liked the 70's better. Tho I am not fond of the 90's

sis,I like much of the 70s, and they were great years to be growing up. :) As for the 90s, that decade brought both the best & worst of times & holds those memories for me, yet the 90s has a place all it's own in my life. Unbelievably, it's not one I'll talk about from my personal life experiences, other than to say that the young years of my sons blessed this decade. :) All of you in shock can get up off the floor now! :lol:

As far as music & movies & books & pop culture of the 90s, for me Alan Jackson became an all-time favorite singer forever, and my love of country music continued, becoming bigger than some other genres during this decade! My family & I loved the cartoon series] Rugrats and Aaahh!!! Real Monsters! <grin> Disney's Renaissance Era began...when the Walt Disney Animation Studios returned to making successful animated films mostly based on classic stories. I was very pleased with most of these productions, The Little Mermaid (1989), The Rescuers Down Under (1990), Beauty and the Beast (1991), Aladdin (1992), The Lion King (1994), Pocahontas (1995), The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996), Hercules (1997), Mulan (1998) and Tarzan (1999) with the exceptions of Pocahontas (first to be based on a historical character, yet historically not genuine...it doesn't seem right for the first "American Princess" in the Disney franchise, especially one based on a real person) & The Hunchback of Notre Dame (What were they thinking? :shock: In spite of a 'G' rating in the US & a 'U' rating by in the UK, the film is considered to be one of Disney's darkest pictures. Many of the themes were inappropriate for children, even with the changes to the original novel. Out of the above list, it is the only video I refused to buy! :( )

In the romance novel genre, relationships modernized and the sub-genres grew. By the 1990s, it was rare to see a book that featured a man raping his future wife, and the old bodice-ripper covers were beginning to change to pictures of landscapes depicting the setting. Romance novels began to contain more humor beginning in the 1990s, and by 2000, featured more balanced relationships between men & women. (That's due to authors like you, Lynsay! Thank You!! :) )

grlnxtdr29 wrote:As a Graduate of the Class of 1990, I spent my school years in the 80's, and I think you left out a few of the cliques, Terri. You neglected to mention the Valley Girls (for sure!), there were also the nerds (Anthoney Edwards was geeky hot in Revenge of the Nerds), the Yuppies (preppies on crack is what my ex boy friend used to call them), the punks with the Spiked Mohawks, and those who refused to let the 70's die a peacefull death. which group did I fall in? Hehe, wouldn't you all like to know?

A challenge, gnd? 8-) Yes, I would like to know, and No, I can't guess which group! :lol: It seems that knowing you as a young wife & mommy going through the of the tough struggles that come with those years doesn't give me enough insight on you in school. I graduated high school in 1981. As I worked at the movie theater during my first couple of years in college, I remember many of the movies associated with each group...and I can remember other groups not mentioned so far.
wren

Next

Return to General Discussion