gotta love the 80's

Re: gotta love the 80's

Postby wren on February 18th, 2011, 5:04 am

terri wrote:Many people LOVED the 70's too. I have a little hate on for the 70's unfortunately but it's not the era's fault. I blame my parents. Being trapped in the car for 26 hours and being bombarded by bad 70's music. There was nothing I could do but listen and listen and listen some more. Although I did like the Who and of course they didn't listen to them.

Sigh... sorry Sin. Maybe I just never gave the poor 70's a chance after the audio abuse my parents forced on my poor ears. LOL

T

Oh Terri...you're not the only one. How my teen sons can relate to you in road trip/music combos. :oops: Even being trapped with me in a car just running errands around town has hurt Thing2's thoughts about certain artists or songs. It is all my fault that he can't tolerate Bob Segar, especially his signature song "Old Time Rock & Roll." He can't bear to listen to that song & could happily never hear it again in his lifetime! Image The sad thing is he would have probably liked Bob Segar's music had I not bombarded him with my CD, especially by playing particular fave songs on a regular basis while riding in the car. I truly didn't realize that it was bothering my sons. Image The only Bob Segar song he does like is "Turn the Page" which has more to do with the fact that Metallica, one of his top bands, did an excellent cover of it.

Though he likes several styles of music and is learning to play guitar, Thing2 prefers metal or rock. He finally explained to me his problem with the way I listen to my music is that if I like a song, or if I'm learning the song lyrics or harmony, I play it over & over and the repetition drives him nuts. That's with any of my music, poor guy! :roll: Thing1 loves singing & is learning to play piano. Since he is open to a wide variety of music, he is a bit more patient with my repetition, but Thing1 has the occasional song where I can tell (maybe it's that look on his face?) that it's not a song he wants to sing or hear over & over, even to please his dear mother. Image

After hearing of your plight with long car rides & being turned off to the 70s by listening to bad (to your ears) 70s music, you can put the blame on me for doing almost the same thing to my kids! Image The main difference is they get "audio abuse," as you put it, from many decades...1950s - 2000s. I'm happy they still like Jim Croce, because I learned what was happening before I burned them out on his music! Image

This is why they were so happy when we surprised them with nano iPods for birthdays a couple of years ago. Now, if I don't play my music too loud, they can listen to what they wish! 8-)

♥ wren...who didn't mean to bombard her kids with unpleasant music (to their ears) repetitively!
wren

Postby MsKitty on February 18th, 2011, 5:06 am

I LOVE the 80's!! At the moment I am on a 70's rock kick (mmrrroooar - thank YOU YouTube for Led Zeppelin vids of Robert Plant & those almost indecent jeans of his - WHOLE Lotta Love.. Indeed!!)!

lol.. I don't listen to the radio much anymore & when I'm at the gym I listen to my iPod.. my friend laughed at me while we were stretching because I was complaining about the Top 40 that was on the TV..
Ms Kitty - AEA Sister & Australian Council Enforcer Contact
MsKitty

Postby jill on February 18th, 2011, 6:24 am

Well if we are choosing a musical decade...its the 60s all the way. The 80s had some of the best teenage angst movies tho. I still love them! John Hughes rules! But I am child of 90s sigh. And we really don't have a lot of exceptional things about that decade so I got nothing.
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” Oscar Wilde
jill

Postby MysticFan on February 18th, 2011, 8:12 am

rockie wrote:Well Im quite fond of the 80's since I was born in the 80's! The late 80's 87 that is... I rather like the 60's even though Im wasn't born then! Im a hippie at heart! Peace love and everything!! :D The 90's were good.. since I was a kid and grew up in the 90's! I mean the 90's and 2000's are all I really know.. lol

I have to agree with you, Rockie! I am quite fond of the 80's since I was born in the 80's also, 82 to be exact. I could probably pick something about each decade ranging from 50's to now that I like, but since I grew up in the 90's and graduated in 2000, I have to stick with those to be my faves. Those are really all I know also...lol :)
"Life can't always be cheesecake."-Elvi Black

MysticFan

Postby grlnxtdr29 on February 18th, 2011, 9:21 am

My Favorite movie from the 80's wasn't about that Decade. It was about Baltimore in the 60's. Yes, I am talking about that Cult Classic, HAIRSPRAY! The Original version with Ricki Lake. I Love the remake, too. And Wren, that is your clue as too which clique I was in ;)
grlnxtdr29

Postby sin on February 18th, 2011, 10:02 am

No problem Terri..*grins* We all can not agree on everything..Lol I like a lot of the '70's music. Don't get me wrong the '80's had some good muzac also. The early 80's saw my mom remarry DD. (for those who do not know DD stands for "daddy dearest" kinda like mommy dearest) That was an interesting era. I also moved to the "allergy capital of the states".

I turned 21 and also learned how to Line Dance..And taught it. So it was not toooo bad...Until the later part that is. bauhahha

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby sin on February 18th, 2011, 10:03 am

jill wrote:Well if we are choosing a musical decade...its the 60s all the way.

Agree little sis.. hummm methinks we need to revive a certain topic

sin

Postby sin on February 18th, 2011, 10:04 am

No problem Terri..*grins* We all can not agree on everything..Lol I like a lot of the '70's music. Don't get me wrong the '80's had some good muzac also. The early 80's saw my mom remarry DD. (for those who do not know DD stands for "daddy dearest" kinda like mommy dearest) That was an interesting era. I also moved to the "allergy capital of the states".

I turned 21 and also learned how to Line Dance..And taught it. So it was not toooo bad...Until the later part that is. bauhahha

sin

Postby TomEC on February 18th, 2011, 3:30 pm

So last week I posted the following in the thread "Favorite Music" and no one payed any attention to it. It seems to fit with this discussion so here it is again. This is part of my take on the late seventies and early eighties:

So last night, while I was working, I found myself spending a while with some old familiar music I used to hear on the radio while I was growing up. Trooper, BTO (Bachman–Turner Overdrive), Martha and the Muffins, Simon and Garfunkel, Sweeney Todd, Steppenwolf, and a bunch of others, when I came upon one I hadn't listened to for a long time that really energized me "Magic Power" by Triumph. It still has the magic. Image

That song recalled to my mind a time when a teenage boy lived for girls, cars, and his stereo. He didn't care if his car was a junker as long as it was lined with shag carpet, had fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview mirror,and a killer stereo system (either 8-track or cassette). My older brother fit that mold perfectly; me, not so much. Still, it was the world I grew up in and I experienced it through my brother's eyes and remember it fondly.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby rockie on February 18th, 2011, 6:38 pm

My music tastes vary because of what my parents listen to! I can go from the 50's to today! Mostly anything in between except for Heavy Metal! I can't stand heavy metal.. To much screaming for me. I am rather fond of the Oldies! I love all the old 50's, 60's and 70's! Yes I love 70's music! If you got a hold of my Ipod you would not be surprised to what you would find.. It has a fine mix of everything! For a while now I have been on Ritchie Valens kick, and Buddy Holly.. :D
But I mean can you believe that 90's music is going to be considered CLASSIC ROCK here in the near future.. So well all the boy bands will be back!! :lol:
AEA Sister♥☮☆♪
Sisterhood of the Traveling Fangs♥☮☆♪
Live
.♫
⋰**
⋱♫ ..Laugh
( ``✫•♫
`✫•.¸ )
¸. ✶♫....L♥ve
( ``✫•~
rockie

PreviousNext