Immortal Photography

Immortal Photography

Postby TomEC on April 2nd, 2011, 1:22 am

I am, both by inclination and by profession, a photographer. Which is to say I do it for both love and money. So naturally I find myself speculating about how immortals would feel about the present-day boom in digital photography.

I have noticed the occasional references to photographs in the books and this, of course, is natural. We all have our pictures and photo albums that mean so much to us for the memories they hold. Still, I would think that if you were immortal you would find the prevalence of digital photography combined with the Internet to be something of a double-edged sword. Think about it, digital cameras are cheap and just about everyone has one in their phone and many of those people can fire those pictures onto the Internet with the push of a button. I'm sure it wouldn't be lost on any immortal what a danger it would be to them, in the long term, to have pictures of their never-aging faces floating around out there on the net. This would be the sort of modern technological danger that would cause someone like Lucian to lose a lot of sleep. (I guess it would be inaccurate to say that it would keep him up at night) Yet at the same time, as a photographer, it would be a pleasure to photograph such flawless faces. I know that sounds rather superficial of me and maybe it is. When I create anyone's portrait, no matter what they look like, my goal is to bring out their inner beauty and this I do with good posing, good lighting and some post-processing (I'm a bit of a Photoshop geek). I sure wouldn’t need to do much post-processing if I got to shoot one of the Argeneau weddings, that's for sure. Image

I think it would be interesting grist for the mill for Lynsay to think about. It's already been established in several of the books that a number of immortals are computer geeks of various types; Etienne being one example. In fact, now that I think about it, I would imagine that the Council would do well to set up some kind of cyber division to deal with all kinds of modern technological threats of which errant pictures floating around the Internet might be is just one example. There are, I think, all kinds of story possibilities in the challenges of protecting their secret in this modern hi-tech world. I also think that not the least of those threats is the fact that cameras are everywhere. That's, in fact, a double-edged sword for me, as well, when it causes the general public to lose sight of the fact that there's a big difference between a photographer and someone with a camera.

I would love to hear what the rest of you think about this subject. One thing I have learned in the last few months on this forum is that it's rather difficult to come up with the thread that has legs. And right now it seems traffic is pretty low so maybe my timing isn't very good either. Still, I would like to bribe you all into giving your thoughts on this and here’s the carrot: I offer my expertise to anyone with a question on the subject of photography. Image I know there's a lot of forums on the Internet dedicated to the subject and this isn't actually one of them so I hope I'm not being presumptuous here. I just thought with the present boom in digital photography and many people interested in the subject that I would like to do my part right here for all my fellow forum members. So please feel free to ask any question you want on the subject of cameras: their acquisition and use and I'll try my best to answer it or to point out where you can find the answer. And if any of the rest of you has some expertise on the subject, your help would be appreciated. :D

This forum has been a source of great pleasure to me in the last few months and I would like to thank Lynsay and Terri and all the rest of you for that. I would also like to be able to give something back and the expertise I have in the area of photography, I believe, gives me an opportunity to do so. So please feel free to use me shamelessly because once you get me going on a subject I'm interested in, as you may have noticed, it's pretty hard to shut me up.Image
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Re: Immortal Photography

Postby Denise on April 3rd, 2011, 11:15 pm

Hmmm.... a "Cyber-Council". This might especially be troublesome for some of our newer immortals who have made somewhat of a name for themselves in their industry. But, I guess you can always claim to be a descendant.
Denise

Postby MysticFan on July 1st, 2011, 12:55 am

Tom, I have a question about my digital camera and I knew your expertise would come in handy with this. I went to my nephew’s birthday party and was snapping pictures left and right. Well, I took a pic of my son and when I went to view the photo the screen went white. I turned the camera off and back on, but nothing… just a white screen. The camera still works, flash and all. It’s as if the lens is messed up or something. My apologies for my confusing explanation, I hope I have described it where you can understand. LoL. I also was wondering if you were familiar with the Canon Rebel camera. A friend of mine has one and it takes great pics, but I know nothing about cameras. I am thinking of upgrading to something better, something that will take pictures more professional looking. I know I also need a good editing program. What camera & editing program would you recommend to someone? So sorry to go on and on, I just have many questions on this subject…lol :oops: :D
"Life can't always be cheesecake."-Elvi Black

MysticFan

Postby TomEC on July 1st, 2011, 11:11 pm

Hmm, a picture that's totally white like that would suggest that the image was drastically overexposed. The first thing I would do would be to check the camera settings. If there's something wrong with the camera, it probably wouldn't be worth spending money to fix given the price of point-and-shoot cameras these days.

Yes, switching from a point-and-shoot to a digital SLR, which a Canon Rebel is, would indeed improve the quality of your pictures. But to really get the best out of your investment in a camera like that, it would be good to take the time to learn a little bit more about how to use it. Remember, a cameras just a tool. You're the one taking the pictures. A great photographer once replied, when someone asked where he got his camera: "The same store where Shakespeare bought his pen." Good pictures start with you.

One Canon's Digital Rebel line of entry level digital DLRs would be a great choice along with a photo editing tool like Adobe Photoshop Elements. Let me know how it goes.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby MysticFan on July 2nd, 2011, 6:07 am

Thanks, Tom! I think my old camera kicked the digital bucket. No matter what I do when I turn it on it powers up normally, but in the viewing screen, it is just white. My hubby bought a Canon Powershot for me. He is so wonderful! It's not the Rebel I wanted, but this will definitely be more than sufficient until I do decided on which Rebel I want. There are so many cameras to select from and I am clueless as which one to choose. I did look into online photography courses; they start in late Aug & Oct. The classes run 6 weeks and there are three or four that interest me. I am definitely going to look into this further. Photography is such a passion of mine and honestly, I do not see myself ever being happy doing anything else... unless it was being a Chef. :D I also found a couple of courses that are strictly for Adobe Photoshop Elements. I am hoping to be able to get a good camera by then and see where this journey takes me. As you said "Good pictures start with you." Therefore, I am trying to make a better, more knowledgeable, me so I can do my best at something I dearly love. Once again, thank you!

MysticFan

Postby terri on July 13th, 2011, 10:04 pm

TomEC,

Without a doubt Argeneau industries would have a section dedicated to security and part of that, one would think, would include cyber/internet security. If that's the case then the question would be whether Lynsay would focus her writing 'lense' on the cyber division or not. We'll have to wait and see what stories she wraps us up in in the future. :-)

On another note TomEC, do you do stock photography? Just curious. I know stock photography is incredibly difficult to get into these days but from what I understand, had you gotten into it earlier, it would have been both very feasible and lucrative.

Have a great day Tom and good luck with your new camera MysticFan.

T
terri
Site Admin

Postby MysticFan on July 14th, 2011, 4:10 am

Thanks, Terri! I haven’t gotten the big camera that I want, yet. The hubby purchased one that is not as big as the one I want, but is bigger than the one I had. Guess you could say I’m working my way up…lol :D

MysticFan

Postby TomEC on July 14th, 2011, 3:41 pm

terri wrote:TomEC,

Without a doubt Argeneau industries would have a section dedicated to security and part of that, one would think, would include cyber/internet security. If that's the case then the question would be whether Lynsay would focus her writing 'lense' on the cyber division or not. We'll have to wait and see what stories she wraps us up in in the future. :-)

Yeah, it's always good to have a list of options for future stories. Thinking about the particular challenges that our modern interconnected world would present to a group of people who live for centuries or longer, and don't want the world in general to know about it, could make for some very fertile ground story-wise.

terri wrote:On another note TomEC, do you do stock photography? Just curious. I know stock photography is incredibly difficult to get into these days but from what I understand, had you gotten into it earlier, it would have been both very feasible and lucrative.

It's true that stock photography was very lucrative back during the glory days of Getty and Corbis, but these days not so much. I hear some of the old photographers from that era still have great contracts grandfathered in. Good for them. For someone like me to really make money at it, I would have to put out a whole lot of images and really have my finger on the pulse of what's popular. A lot of work for very little return. I prefer the feedback I get from happy clients who love the images I make for them. It's an uphill battle to make much money in photography these days but at least I have that.

MysticFan wrote:Thanks, Terri! I haven’t gotten the big camera that I want, yet. The hubby purchased one that is not as big as the one I want, but is bigger than the one I had. Guess you could say I’m working my way up…lol :D

Working your way up is a good way of thinking of it Mystic. If I were you I wouldn't worry about that bigger camera, I would just use the camera I have to learn everything I can about photography. You don't need a big fancy camera to do that. Take the time to learn all the technical concepts you can, such as aperture a.k.a. f-stop, shutter speed, ISO, JPEG versus Raw, lighting and a whole host of other concepts that you don't need a fancy camera to master. Read your camera's manual from cover to cover. You would be amazed at what you can learn from just doing that. Once you understand the basic technical concepts, you can get on to the more important things like balance, composition and developing your 'eye.' You can do all that with the camera you have now. Then when you do upgrade to that higher-end camera, you'll be ready to make full use it. These days cameras are pretty high-tech and when you consider the rate at which things like that become obsolete, it's definitely a good idea to be in a position to make full use of it before you plunk down your hard-earned.
TomEC

Postby MysticFan on July 15th, 2011, 5:18 am

TomEC wrote:
MysticFan wrote:Thanks, Terri! I haven’t gotten the big camera that I want, yet. The hubby purchased one that is not as big as the one I want, but is bigger than the one I had. Guess you could say I’m working my way up…lol :D

Working your way up is a good way of thinking of it Mystic. If I were you I wouldn't worry about that bigger camera, I would just use the camera I have to learn everything I can about photography. You don't need a big fancy camera to do that. Take the time to learn all the technical concepts you can, such as aperture a.k.a. f-stop, shutter speed, ISO, JPEG versus Raw, lighting and a whole host of other concepts that you don't need a fancy camera to master. Read your camera's manual from cover to cover. You would be amazed at what you can learn from just doing that. Once you understand the basic technical concepts, you can get on to the more important things like balance, composition and developing your 'eye.' You can do all that with the camera you have now. Then when you do upgrade to that higher-end camera, you'll be ready to make full use it. These days cameras are pretty high-tech and when you consider the rate at which things like that become obsolete, it's definitely a good idea to be in a position to make full use of it before you plunk down your hard-earned.

Thank you, Tom! As I look deeper into photography, I find that it is much more than just pointing and shooting a camera. I actually found out how true it is that the bigger the camera does not insure the better the pic. A friend of a friend dabbles in photography on the side and takes amazing pics compared to someone that I know who does it full time. I am hopeful that I will be able to catch on and produce great pics. My heart and soul are really in this and I want it to show in my work. I really appreciate the advice you offer, thanks so much! :)

MysticFan

Postby TomEC on July 15th, 2011, 12:50 pm

Any time Mystic. Make sure to have fun with it. :D
TomEC

Return to General Discussion