Can the stories we read make us better people?

Can the stories we read make us better people?

Postby TomEC on April 27th, 2011, 3:54 pm

I would like to be a better person. :) I take for granted that this is true about many people but far from all. There are so many ways I could be a better person. I could work to make myself a wiser, more knowledgeable person by learning all that I can. I look back at the mistakes I made in past and want to try to do better, to try to learn from them. I can work to improve my health by eating better and getting more exercise. I can aspire to be a kinder more thoughtful person then I have been in the past. I look back at the times when I've been selfish and petty and I just cringe. I want to be a good person; not a boring one, a good one. I believe in that.

I'm not a cynic, though at times Theresa has accused me of being a bit of one. I just know that there are people out there who are like predators circling the heard looking for weaknesses. :evil: I choose not to be taken advantage of by those people. I find myself wondering though, do people like that read the same books I do? Do they root for the hero or heroine, laugh and cry with them, and feel happy when, in the end, the villain is defeated? I kind of doubt it. I think people like that would just groan and roll their eyes and consider such stories foolishness. They wouldn't waste their time on such nonsense (they would use much nastier words here).

I think the stories I've read in the course of my life and made me the person I am today in many ways. Since before I could read, I've been soaking up stories about good guys and bad guys through any means available to me. I rooted for my heroes and tried to hide my teary eyes during touching moments in the story. I looked to the heroes in my stories and I wanted to be like them. I wanted to be brave and selfless and right wrongs and protect the weak. In our everyday lives we can't be larger-than-life like our heroes, we can only try to emulate them in little ways. But I don't believe that I would be the same today without them.

I've read where Lynsay is said that she thinks that good people are boring. I'm not sure she completely meant that because, if she did, why would she populate her stories with so many truly good people? They’re not boring. I think she really knows what the that the world would not be a very pleasant place to live if there were no good people in it, and writing stories like hers is ultimately a wonderful and positive act that helps to push the world in the right direction.

That's what I think anyway.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Re: Can the stories we read make us better people?

Postby Lynsay on May 3rd, 2011, 4:33 pm

It's not that I meant good people are boring, I meant that being called a "good woman" FEELS boring. I get called that ALL the time and every time kind of wince. Cause really, I'd rather be thought of as exciting and interesting and...well...gees, just being a "good woman" sounds like Mrs. Walton...if you see what I mean.

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Re: Can the stories we read make us better people?

Postby TomEC on May 3rd, 2011, 8:20 pm

Lynsay wrote:It's not that I meant good people are boring, I meant that being called a "good woman" FEELS boring. I get called that ALL the time and every time kind of wince. Cause really, I'd rather be thought of as exciting and interesting and...well...gees, just being a "good woman" sounds like Mrs. Walton...if you see what I mean.

Lynsay

Yeah, I guess I see what you mean, Lynsay. You're thinking of the bland, vanilla, white-bread sort of qualities that people often refer to as "good" when what they really mean is safe.

I hereby stand corrected. :)
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Return to General Discussion