Schooling/Working

Schooling/Working

Postby ElectricFedora on May 3rd, 2011, 11:54 pm

That it is Thomas! I was very excited to find out your a photographer. As an elective class earlier this year I started taking Photography One, unfortunately due to the passing of my grandmother I missed a good deal of school in the beginning of the year and couldn't handle having a full schedule. So I had to drop photography one to take a lunch period to catch up on all my testing. I love photography and hope to take it as an elective in college or maybe somewhere else when I'm older. Now things are much better and I have my full class schedule which I prefer, since I don't eat in school I find a lunch period to be a bit of a waste. I love my classes, or at least most of them. They go in the order of Gym/Science Lab, Biology, English, Italian, Global History and Geography, Health, Mythology, Geometry and lastly American History Through The Arts. I terribly miss my creative writing class though, it was the best. The teacher really inspires me, I can't wait to have her next year in the second level of creative writing and hope to get her as my AP english teacher in senior year.

So everyone lets talk about things such as high school/university/military service/change in careers/etc
“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.” - Brian Littrell

"Idle hands are the devil's workshop." - Unknown.
ElectricFedora

Re: Schooling/Working

Postby TomEC on May 4th, 2011, 12:08 pm

I fully intend to have something interesting to say about the subject, just as soon as I think of something. :) Though I think Susan is a good person to comment on this. She's really slam-dunking it as can be seen from her post under Randomessosity! :D
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby susan60625 on May 4th, 2011, 12:51 pm

When I was in high school, I originally thought I would go into nursing, so I took a heavy course of Science classes, but when I went to college, the first time, I ended up studying computer science. However, computer science back then was the stone age of technology. No one had home computers and when I would write a program in one of the classes, I had to type each line of text onto punch cards, that were then run through the University's computer. It took FOREVER! When I couldn't afford school anymore (my folks weren't paying for it and since I was still living at home, I didn't qualify for aid), I went to work.

I worked for almost 30 years in a variety of clerical jobs, in a variety of fields. My favorite field seemed to be in retail. Not actually in the stores, but working in the buying offices at the corporate headquarters, first at Montgomery Ward, and then at Sears. Unfortunately, when K-Mart bought Sears in 2005, I was laid-off. After that, I started doing temp work since I couldn't find anything permanent. But even those assignments started to dwindle off and now I haven't even had one of those for over a year.

Last summer, with the end in sight for my unemployment benefits, I decided that I had to do something. So, I did some research and decided on going back to school. I started at DeVry University, in their on-line program, for Health Information Technology at the end of last August. I decided to combine my two loves - Medicine and Computers - and work toward a career in Medical Billing and Coding. I'm hoping that with an Associate's degree in this field, I'll be able to get a good job!
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby rockie on May 5th, 2011, 11:01 am

susan60625 wrote:When I was in high school, I originally thought I would go into nursing, so I took a heavy course of Science classes, but when I went to college, the first time, I ended up studying computer science. However, computer science back then was the stone age of technology. No one had home computers and when I would write a program in one of the classes, I had to type each line of text onto punch cards, that were then run through the University's computer. It took FOREVER! When I couldn't afford school anymore (my folks weren't paying for it and since I was still living at home, I didn't qualify for aid), I went to work.

I worked for almost 30 years in a variety of clerical jobs, in a variety of fields. My favorite field seemed to be in retail. Not actually in the stores, but working in the buying offices at the corporate headquarters, first at Montgomery Ward, and then at Sears. Unfortunately, when K-Mart bought Sears in 2005, I was laid-off. After that, I started doing temp work since I couldn't find anything permanent. But even those assignments started to dwindle off and now I haven't even had one of those for over a year.

Last summer, with the end in sight for my unemployment benefits, I decided that I had to do something. So, I did some research and decided on going back to school. I started at DeVry University, in their on-line program, for Health Information Technology at the end of last August. I decided to combine my two loves - Medicine and Computers - and work toward a career in Medical Billing and Coding. I'm hoping that with an Associate's degree in this field, I'll be able to get a good job!

I was right along with you on that Sue, I went into college thinking I was going to be a nurse and then I decided to change my major to psychology! Now I am gonna try and work towards my graduate degree in Mental Health Counseling...
Im possibly gonna try and write a little.. lol... I want to at least try it and see what happens! lol It can't hurt to try! lol
AEA Sister♥☮☆♪
Sisterhood of the Traveling Fangs♥☮☆♪
Live
.♫
⋰**
⋱♫ ..Laugh
( ``✫•♫
`✫•.¸ )
¸. ✶♫....L♥ve
( ``✫•~
rockie

Postby Denise on May 5th, 2011, 2:03 pm

My college degree is in Math with a Computer Science minor. But upon graduation I couldn't find anything to use my Math in, so I got a job using my Macintosh Computer skill. Went from there into an I.S. job in the same company and loved it. But then I started having kids and quit to raise them. I still play on the computer and do programming when I can, which is basically Excel formulas. Was doing more programming when I had my Mac, using Hypercard for my Book Database. That was fun. Now I use Outlook and have it customized for my purpose. Getting a new computer soon that has Access on it so I may be doing some switchover. That will be time-consuming.

My work, now, is volunteering at school, and making sure the four kids get where they need to be on time. That means I have a Masters Degree in scheduling!!! It is a relief to have one driving, now, so she can do some of the shuffle. Also, teaching/serving in two classes at church and chairing a couple of committees, including the Children's Committee. All that keeps me VERY busy (and I have a degree in Understatement, as well!).
Denise

Return to General Discussion