Cook's Cauldron ~ Discuss Favourite Foods & Share Recipes

Cook's Cauldron ~ Discuss Favourite Foods & Share Recipes

Postby wren on June 18th, 2008, 8:04 pm

We somehow get around to talking about fave foods or things we crave or foods native to our countries on other topics, so Copper and I thought it might be nice to have a place to follow up when we want to know more. One favourite among so many of us is Macaroni and Cheese, Mac-n-Cheese, or whatever you want to call it...with some variations mentioned by different people that sound very good. Although I'm willing to try Copper's Haggis with tattys and needs, or Jodi's Shepherd's Pie with the creamed-corn,(I don't usually eat creamed corn, but I'm willing to try new foods and both of these sound great!) I'm not putting Ketchup on my Mac-n-Cheese! This from the girl who puts Ketchup on almost everything, according to the My Frog Prince. Who knows, I may take up cooking again and share some faves with all of you! I may even learn to make decent coffee when the Gypsy isn't here to do it. By the way, Gypsy is an excellent cook, even without a cauldron! :lol:

Both Chocolate and Cheesecake are favourites on the board (the actual foods, not the immortals we have chosen to associate with them. I can't help it that I mixed up cheesecake with beefcake on the old forum...I forgot the word "beefcake" and I prefer cheesecake! Yummy!! I guess that made me think of the immortals...kwim? So now, they are yummy cheesecake...but I digress.Image)

I also make a good cheesecake, although it has been awhile. I make the best Chocolate sheet cake and Apple Pie ever! At one time, I could make a Lasagna that was fantastic. I also can make home-made breads and cinnamon rolls - no bread machine needed! Never said I was humble. In fact, have often mentioned I'm not...unless it is about something really important. Seems that I'll have to take up cooking again. I gave it up ohhh, about eight years ago. LOL Most everything comes out of a can or box these days with no cooking required! Sad, but true...so, I need plenty of inspiration, my friends! The Frog Prince might appreciate it also! LOL If the shock doesn't knock him over... :)

We know that Mr. Spice doesn't like chocolate, and we think he likes his cheesecake plain and prefers to have cheesecake for his birthday...and that is his fave dessert so we are always trying to bribe him with it, although it doesn't seem to get us very far. It might help if we actually sent him a cheesecake, except that Mrs. Spice probably wouldn't let him eat it without signing a secrecy clause about the upcoming books! However, they do drop a crumb of info on occasion! Hopefully, they will be able to drop a few crumbs soon...and not just teases, Mr. Spice. ;)

Soooo, back on topic, if you get to discussing a food and want more information, or need a recipe to give it a try, just come on over to the Cook's Cauldron! I'll be stirring in my little cauldron as usual! Hey, it's a good place to make soup...as well as cook up a witch's brew! Image

wren

Re: Cook's Cauldron ~ Discuss Favourite Foods & Share Recipes

Postby sin on June 18th, 2008, 8:25 pm

great topic sis. Now I'm hungry. Oh and I do have a recipe for Witch's Brew. I make some mean homemade noodles. No bread nor pasta machine here either.. Also my grandmother's home made Ice cream recipe. Stir with the ole hand crank. Cookies, pies. Yummy. So lets get the cauldron's stirring over the open fires.Image

The Queen may be Evil... BUT I am WICKED and Wicked ALWAYS wins.

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby jill on June 18th, 2008, 8:28 pm

Ahh...Wren I love ya. How did you know this was favorite subject. Not because I can sing an ode to Mac N Cheese. But because I canna cook and can use all the help I can get!
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” Oscar Wilde
jill

Postby Copper on June 19th, 2008, 6:19 pm

sorry should have looked first my post about fried pizza and Irn Bru is in What is... tred
AEA Sister European Council/enforcer contact
The Sisterhood of the Travelling Fangs
Copper

Postby wren on June 19th, 2008, 6:26 pm

That's okay, Copper. I asked you about it in the other thread. I didn't move your answer over since it sounds like something we just have to be in Scotland to try! But, you can copy & paste your answer and put it here also if you want, so that others will know what it is because it sounds tooooo good! Image
wren

Postby sin on June 24th, 2008, 9:43 pm

well here is something different:

Shrimp Deviled Eggs from the Sea

6 eggs, hard-boiled

1 pound fresh shrimp

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon dry mustard

2 tablespoons mayonnaise

1 recipe curry cumin sauce

4 eggs—scrambled (see recipe

NOTE: 2-4 1-ounce cans, shrimp, minced can also be used.

Prepare hard-cooked eggs. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1. Mix yolks with 6 Tablespoons shrimp, salt, mustard,

And mayonnaise Place mixture in egg whites.

2. Make curry-cumin sauce.

3. Make scrambled eggs.

4. Spoon layer of curry sauce in pretty casserole dish.

Add layer of scrambled eggs.

5. Place deviled eggs on top of scrambled eggs.

Place shrimp between each egg.

6. Pour remaining sauce on top.

7. Heat in Moderate 350 oven for 20 minutes.

NOTES : Try it with chopped leftover chicken.

Total Grams--- 22.8

Per serving: (6)--3.8

sin

Postby Jodi on June 24th, 2008, 9:48 pm

sounds good Sin!
Jodi

Postby sin on June 24th, 2008, 9:50 pm

Thanks Jodi. Will tell you how hubby likes it. ME NO WAY!! seafood eewwwww

sin

Postby Jodi on June 24th, 2008, 10:05 pm

no way really? I love seafood! but then again being from Nova Scotia it is kind of hard not to love seafood. although I had never tried lobster until last summer and yes I loved that too.
Jodi

Postby wren on July 3rd, 2008, 1:45 am

Yummy...it sounds wonderful, sin! I love most seafood. Like Jodi, since I grew up where seafood is abundant and it is easy to get it fresh, I learned to like all kinds growing up. I especially love shrimp!
wren

Next

Return to General Discussion