Cook's Cauldron ~ Discuss Favourite Foods & Share Recipes

Re: Cook's Cauldron ~ Discuss Favourite Foods & Share Recipe

Postby MysticFan on August 20th, 2011, 1:09 am

I just had to share this very annoying information with everyone! I went grocery shopping to pick up the things I needed to make the APRICOT CHICKEN. I was able to find all the ingredients I needed, except the Curry powder! :x I am guessing that my local Wal-Mart does not carry that item. Now, I will probably have to go to Huntington, which is like 2 hours away to find Curry powder. I just find that crazy!

wren wrote:Mystic, I just saw the Tangy Ranch Chicken...now I've got two new recipes to try! Thanks! :D

You are welcome, Wren! Hope you enjoy. :D
"Life can't always be cheesecake."-Elvi Black

MysticFan

Postby TomEC on August 20th, 2011, 1:25 am

MysticFan wrote:I just had to share this very annoying information with everyone! I went grocery shopping to pick up the things I needed to make the APRICOT CHICKEN. I was able to find all the ingredients I needed, except the Curry powder! :x I am guessing that my local Wal-Mart does not carry that item. Now, I will probably have to go to Huntington, which is like 2 hours away to find Curry powder. I just find that crazy!

Actually, according to the recipe book, it's still good without the curry powder. I've never tried it that way. I'm guessing it's a matter of taste one way or the other.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” -Albert Einstein
TomEC

Postby TomEC on August 20th, 2011, 9:47 am

Because I'm not sure Jodi saw this before the page turned, here it is again:

Jodi wrote:Where in Saskatchewan are you from? My husband is from Melford Saskatchewan and besides there the only other place I've been too there is Saskatoon are you close to either?. We currently live in Yellowknife, NWT

I'm from Outlook, which is just an hour south of Saskatoon on the South Saskatchewan River. Our claim to fame is Skytrail (the old train bridge) which is Canada's longest walking bridge (about one kilometer or two thirds of a mile). It's called Skytrail because it's 150 feet above the river. Great view.

I've never been up to Yellowknife, though I hear it's beautiful up there. :D How long are the days at midsummer?
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” -Albert Einstein
TomEC

Postby Jodi on August 22nd, 2011, 12:52 am

Hey Tom!
Yellowknife can be really beautiful during the summer but that might also have to do with the fact that by the time it gets here we are so sick of winter anything is good lol just joking it is really nice here in the summer. From about May to July we start getting lots of sunlight with the most probably being just before we start losing daylight after July 21st we have a golf tornament called "Midnight classic Golf" and it really is at night they tee off @ midnight. but until after the 21st we don't actually loose light it is more like we get twlight? I guess you would call it. I always loved it when I was younger we use to go to the bars at say 9pm and it was still light and then you would come out a like 2am and it would still be light lol! even now we still get more than normal, tonight we had light until about 10:30 - 11pm. Best part of Yellowknife - Summer and all the Sunlight, worst part of Yellowknife - Winter and lack of sunlight.
Jodi

Postby tinahhhhhh on September 8th, 2011, 5:38 pm

New here and just happened to find this post, so I figured I'd share one of my favorite recipes with you all!

Homemade Guacamole
2 Avocados - make sure they're nice and soft!
1/2 Medium Red Onion
1 Spicy Green Chile Pepper
1 Medium Tomato
1 Clove Garlic, mashed or minced
1 tbsp. Lemon Juice
1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Mash up the avocados with the EVOO. Slowly add in all the ingredients except for the tomato. Refrigerate for an hour or until chilled, then add tomatoes just before serving so it does not get too mushy. Be sure to serve this soon after you make it! Avocados are notorious for browning quickly and the lemon juice doesn't prolong the pretty green color terribly long. I like to get thin tortilla chips from any kind of Latin specialty store since I believe they taste MUCH better than the stuff you can find at chain supermarkets, and they're better for you to boot!
tinahhhhhh

Postby MysticFan on September 20th, 2011, 12:53 am

tinahhhhhh wrote:New here and just happened to find this post, so I figured I'd share one of my favorite recipes with you all!

Homemade Guacamole
2 Avocados - make sure they're nice and soft!
1/2 Medium Red Onion
1 Spicy Green Chile Pepper
1 Medium Tomato
1 Clove Garlic, mashed or minced
1 tbsp. Lemon Juice
1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Mash up the avocados with the EVOO. Slowly add in all the ingredients except for the tomato. Refrigerate for an hour or until chilled, then add tomatoes just before serving so it does not get too mushy. Be sure to serve this soon after you make it! Avocados are notorious for browning quickly and the lemon juice doesn't prolong the pretty green color terribly long. I like to get thin tortilla chips from any kind of Latin specialty store since I believe they taste MUCH better than the stuff you can find at chain supermarkets, and they're better for you to boot!

tinahhhhhh, thank you for posting this. I love guacamole and have been looking for a recipe. Thanks for sharing! :D
"Life can't always be cheesecake."-Elvi Black

MysticFan

Postby tinahhhhhh on September 22nd, 2011, 9:33 pm

... I totally forgot to mention that the ingredients should be chopped before mixing (not that I think anyone would just stick an onion in some mashed avocado or anything like that)! :shock: I swear I was sick writing that! But enjoy!
tinahhhhhh

Previous

Return to General Discussion