Fiction and History

Fiction and History

Postby grlnxtdr29 on September 11th, 2011, 8:41 pm

Ever wonder what some of our favorite fictional charactors were doing on Famous (Or infamous) Days in History? Was Bastien in New York on 9/11?
grlnxtdr29

Re: Fiction and History

Postby lisa on September 14th, 2011, 5:04 am

Interesting idea! On a related topic I found a book on paranormal type of 'facts' at Goodwill called Unsolved Mysteries of the Past, that had a article about a man they called....The Immortal Count! He was seen by historical known witnesses, from the 1600's thru 1972. His name was Count de Saint- Germain. He never seemed to age and all witnesses agreed he was the same individual each time. Hmmmmmm..........????????
lisa

Postby TomEC on September 15th, 2011, 4:42 am

I was thinking of bringing up Count Saint-Germain in one of my history posts. Quite a mythology has grown up around the guy, that's for sure. Whether or not he was actually immortal (According to the church register of Eckernförde, the Count died on the 27th February 1784) he was, nevertheless, a fascinating character! He has been variously described as a courtier, adventurer, charlatan, inventor, alchemist, pianist, violinist and an amateur composer. Contemporaries referred to him (often ironically) as 'the Wonderman'.

Obviously such a character, and the legends that have grown up around him, would make great material for fiction. Author Chelsea Quinn Yarbro has written more than 30 novels about him (The Saint-Germain Cycle) which follow his adventures across the ages. They were not published in chronological order. They began with Hôtel Transylvania published in 1978. The latest is An Embarrassment of Riches that came out just this year. And yes, in these book he is a vampire.

By the way, on the author's website www.chelseaquinnyarbro.net the Count Saint-Germain novels are listed both in order of publication date and in chronological order, giving the reader the choice.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby susan60625 on September 15th, 2011, 12:42 pm

grlnxtdr29 wrote:Ever wonder what some of our favorite fictional charactors were doing on Famous (Or infamous) Days in History? Was Bastien in New York on 9/11?

You know, GND, I've been thinking about this since you posted the thought and this is what I came up with. First, I think Bastien was in Toronto on 9/11. My reasoning for that is because he was in Toronto in November, 2001 for Lissi's birthday (A Quick Bite). However, I honestly don't think it would have made much of an impression on him. Aside from the obvious, if you remember, Bastien really didn't pay much attention to the mortal world until Terri came into his life. So, unless there was an immortal in one of the towers when they came down, I don't think he would have taken more than just a passing interest in the situation. Now that Terri is in his life, I think a situation like that would make more of an impression on him.
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby TomEC on September 15th, 2011, 2:15 pm

Yeah, I think Susan's right about that. Though I also think that, beneath it all, Bastien has always been a compassionate person and, no matter how much he would have tried to distance himself for the mortal world, it would have been impossible not to be moved by the scale such a disaster. I think that if he'd been standing anywhere in the vicinity of the Twin Towers when the planes hit, he would've been there helping as many people as he could to escape.

There are so many moments in history that would be hard to ignore it you had to live them. I've often wondered how an immortal would feel about the way humanity is currently pushing our environment to the brink. No matter what you may feel about any specific environmental disaster going on out there, or even agree that it is a disaster, there is no doubt that humanity is currently engaged in a massive uncontrolled experiment on the only planet we have. Us ordinary people look on helplessly, doing what little we can to help the environment, while powerful moneyed interests ignore or suppress ideas and technologies that might make a big difference to our collective futures. Such selfish people may tell themselves that it's not as bad all that or that they'll be long dead before it all really hits the fan; but no immortal would ever be free to engage in such denial.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Return to General Discussion