I know there was a thread on this somewhere...

I know there was a thread on this somewhere...

Postby grlnxtdr29 on September 28th, 2011, 3:19 pm

..but I couldn't find it. I am thinking of Asking Hubby for a Nook for Christmas, and was wondering if there is a big Difference between the regular nook and the nook color? Other than the price, I mean. The regular nook is $139, while the nook Color is $249. Is it worth the big price difference just for color?
grlnxtdr29

Re: I know there was a thread on this somewhere...

Postby sin on September 28th, 2011, 8:08 pm

not sure where it is located gnd but I do remember there being a topic about it. The only thing I can suggest is to put in key words in the search and look at the threads :/ Granted sometimes it is not real user friendly, but at least we got it Lol :)

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby TomEC on September 28th, 2011, 8:56 pm

Before you make a decision on that, I think you owe it to yourself to consider the announcement at this address: www.amazon.com

As far as I know it will be released in the U.S. in mid November. You would be getting considerably more for less.

Regardless of what you decide, if you want an ebook reader to read books, and not just as a cheaper iPad, then get a regular Nook or Kindle. The e-ink screens on the regular readers are as easy to read for hours as a print book, while the price you pay for the pretty colors on the higher end readers is a type of screen that isn't quite as easy to look at. They become hard on the eyes after a while.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby grlnxtdr29 on September 29th, 2011, 8:49 am

Thanks Tom! While I would love an iPad, I didn't want to be too greedy in what I asked for. I would probably mostly use it just for books, since I already have an iPod for music and a laptop for internet browsing. The only extra function an iPad would offer is as a cell phone/video phone, which would be nice since I've been without a cell phone for almost 2 years now.

Now my new Question is, I know with the Kindle you have to download a bunch of different software if you want to purchase books from anywhere other than Amazon. Is it the same with the nook?
grlnxtdr29

Postby TomEC on September 29th, 2011, 7:27 pm

Well, I think both Amazon and Barnes & Noble do everything they can to tether us to their ecosystems. They both have a list of formats that they support. I've never heard anything about software that allows you to buy books for the Kindle from other vendors. I've found the selection of books at Amazon more than adequate. The closest I can find for this scenario is a type of software that claims to convert ePub books into the Kindle format and load them onto the reader. EPub is a format that Kindle doesn't support for the nook does. This is an advantage for the nook since it allows a person to actually borrow ebooks from a library that has that program. Our local library doesn't so I never worried about it. Both readers support the PDF format in which many books are sold online. The disadvantage of that format is that the text isn't resized and pages can look awfully small on a six-inch screen. Often the only way to read a PDF is to magnify it and then scroll around the page, which is an annoying and awkward way to read a book. I don't know about the nook, but when you buy a Kindle you get an e-mail address for it that allows you to e-mail attached documents to your reader which then load wirelessly. If you e-mail a PDF and type "convert "in the subject line the document will be converted from PDF to the Kindle format, making it a lot easier to read on the device. I personally love that feature.

All that aside, I think no matter which ebook reader you decide on, you will quickly fall in love with the device. They’re as easy to read as any print book, you can carry a library of hundreds or even thousands of books around with you in your hand, ebooks are often (though not always) cheaper than the print versions, and you can download new books and have them ready to read pretty much the moment they're released. Though I will always have a soft spot for paper books and will never quite get over my love for them, perhaps that's a generational thing. I really think ebooks are the future as they represent the ultimate in convenience and instant gratification.

Oh, by the way, if you do decide to get a nook, watch Barnes & Noble's website for an announcement. I'm not saying I know anything but, as I noted in a previous post, Amazon just announced a bunch of new price changes and new Kindles that will be out in time for the holidays. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Barnes & Noble did the same very soon.
Last edited by TomEC on September 29th, 2011, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby grlnxtdr29 on September 29th, 2011, 7:37 pm

Well, which ever one I decide on, every time I use it, I will think of Star Trek.
grlnxtdr29

Postby TomEC on September 29th, 2011, 8:23 pm

Yeah, I think Star Trek has inspired a lot of technology. Like cell phones. Kirk out.
TomEC

Postby rockie on September 30th, 2011, 11:42 am

GND,
The nook and the nook color you do not have to download any different software. they have wi-fi in them, they hook up to a wireless connection. You can buy book on line and they will be added to your nook automatically.
The difference between the nook and the nook color, is that the regular nook is not back lite which means you have to have a light on when you read it, and the only part on the nook that is touch screen is the bottom which is how you change the book you are reading. it is simple to use and very useful to carry around several hundred books at a time. To change the page on the regular nook you have little arrows and you push them. You can get it in 3G or not. I had one that was 3G but it messed up and they sent me one thats not 3G.. which sucks. but it is what it is...
The nook color the whole screen is touch screen, and it has a back light, which you are able to read without a light on. it is easy to see and you can download apps on it like Angry Birds, which I believe is free.
You can go on the internet with them both, but I think the nook color is easier to navigate since the whole screen is touch screen. I have a nook, but I want a nook color.. just because when i fall sleep reading a night I end up leaving my lamp on all night long unless I wake up and turn it off.
Also If you have an Ipod touch you can download the nook app for free. You can get free books,
I have heard with the Kindle you get tons of free books. I for one love my nook! I don't go anywhere without it. I usually have that and a regular book in my purse at all times.
AEA Sister♥☮☆♪
Sisterhood of the Traveling Fangs♥☮☆♪
Live
.♫
⋰**
⋱♫ ..Laugh
( ``✫•♫
`✫•.¸ )
¸. ✶♫....L♥ve
( ``✫•~
rockie

Postby grlnxtdr29 on September 30th, 2011, 1:33 pm

Thanks, Rockie! I talked to hubby about it today, and I think I may go with one of the new version Kindles when they come out in November, just not sure which one yet. Of course I might try and get him to buy me an iPad, if the price comes down about $100 before Christmas!
grlnxtdr29

Postby TomEC on September 30th, 2011, 1:52 pm

rockie wrote:GND,
The nook and the nook color you do not have to download any different software. they have wi-fi in them, they hook up to a wireless connection. You can buy book on line and they will be added to your nook automatically.
The difference between the nook and the nook color, is that the regular nook is not back lite which means you have to have a light on when you read it,

That's right rockie, neither with the nook or the Kindle do you need to download any software, you just need an account with either Amazon or Barns & Noble and you can purchase ebooks either through your computer or right on your reader and they will download instantly via wi-fi or G3 if you have that capability. It's true that since the nook color and the new, soon to be released, Kindle Fire are essentially tablet computers, like the iPad, they have back lite screens while the e-ink screens on regular readers are more like a paper books in that you need a lamp.I've heard from a number people who had both a Kindle and an iPad and they enjoy the iPad for surfing the net, running apps, and consuming media such as watching movies but they much prefer their Kindles for reading books. In the long run the e-Ink screen is easier on the eyes. It can be said, I think, of the non-color versions of either the nook or the Kindle, that they were designed to do one thing and they do it better then any other devise. However the back-lite screens on the nook color or the Kindle Fire, along with greater versatility of tablet computers in general, give them their advantages as well. It really comes down to what you want from you device. If all you want is to read books and you don't mind turning on a lamp the plain old non-color ebook reader is the best, most cost effective, choice.

Say rockie, if your going to buy a nook color don't pull the trigger on that purchase right away. Right now the nook color is $249.00 and has been on the market at that price for awhile. If I were you, I would be watching for a price drop or even the release of a new and better nook color in the near future. The time is ripe for it since Amazon just announced the coming release of the Kindle Fire, a powerful color ebook reader and tablet computer for $199.00 which is set to compete with the iPad. Barns & Noble is going to need to respond to that if they want to stay competitive with Amazon and that's good news for all us consumers.
TomEC

Next

Return to General Discussion