I know there was a thread on this somewhere...

Re: I know there was a thread on this somewhere...

Postby grlnxtdr29 on September 30th, 2011, 2:02 pm

Actually, I was just doing some comparisons online, and read an article that said a new version of the Nook is due out just before Christmas, so not sure what to think. I usually read in Low light, just because my vision has always been better without so much glare. Hopefully I'll also be getting new glasses in the next month or so, so maybe that won't be too much of an issue. Right now I am leaning more towards one of the lower cost new Kindles coming out soon, but if we can afford it, I might hold out for the Kindle Fire. I know Amazon has a great selection of ebooks, but what if I find books cheaper on another site? Do I HAVE to get them from Amazon, or can I download from other sites?
grlnxtdr29

Postby TomEC on September 30th, 2011, 2:21 pm

There are ways. ePub books are sold on other sites in this website claims to have away to get them on a Kindle: http://techsupport.foreverwarm.com/how-to-read-epub-books-on-your-kindle
This requires the downloading and installing of software, though, and one must always be careful about where you get software from. One of the advantages of the nook is that you can borrow books from some participating libraries with it.

I think the bottom line here is that where you can get ebooks from will depend on what ebook reader you have. Both Amazon and Barnes & Noble, as the makers of the two top readers, will always do everything they can to make sure you buy your books from them. Someday maybe there will be a general ebook reader that allows you to buy books from anywhere but that's probably a long way off. The closest right now is the iPad which allows you to get books from the iBook store and also download apps from every major vendor of ebooks (including Amazon and Barnes & Noble) and buy them from anywhere. Of course as I said before, a tablet computer's screen is a little harder on the eyes in the long run; so it comes down to what you want from your ebook reader.

Oh, by the way, another big advantage of any ebook reader is the ability to re-size the text to whatever you're comfortable reading.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby TomEC on September 30th, 2011, 4:33 pm

I'm about to get a bit whiny.

As I understand it, the new Amazon Kindle Fire will be available in the U.S. by mid-November. When it will be available elsewhere, like for example Canada, is unknown.

Thanks Amazon. Thanks a lot.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby grlnxtdr29 on September 30th, 2011, 6:58 pm

sorry, Tom, this will probably make you even more whinny, but the Fire is already out in some areas already, but only a few will be sold, as a test market.
grlnxtdr29

Postby Denise on November 3rd, 2011, 12:36 am

I've been reading about the new Nook Simple Touch and the Kindle Touch. One advantage the Kindle Touch has over the nook, you can listen to audiobooks with the Kindle Touch. From what I've read, in order to get audiobook capability on the Nook you have to have the Nook Color. That might be a deciding factor, too.

I'm trying to decide which to get, as well. Sure would be nice if we could use one for a few weeks, then the other and THEN make a decision. Ugh.
Denise

Postby grlnxtdr29 on November 3rd, 2011, 11:01 am

Right now it doesn't look like I am going to get either. Hubby lost his job on Tuesday.
grlnxtdr29

Previous

Return to General Discussion