New family tree

Discuss the Argeneau family tree.

Re: New family tree

Postby wren on June 14th, 2009, 1:10 pm

Here y'all go, girls! <grin>

From Merriam-Webster Online:

Gibbon ~ any of a genus (Hylobates of the family Hylobatidae) of agile brachiating tailless apes of southeastern Asia that are the smallest and most arboreal anthropoid apes

brachiating ~ to progress by swinging from hold to hold by the arms <a brachiating gibbon>

Wrangler ~ [short for horse-wrangler, probably part translation of Mexican Spanish caballerango groom] : a ranch hand who takes care of the saddle horses ; broadly : cowboy

There is a picture of a brachiating gibbon at the entry on Merriam-Webster Online...so a "gibbon wrangler" simply wrangles gibbons instead of horses...LOL...though it may be a bit more difficult to do ;)

Now...your conclusions are up to you, dahlings!... :twisted:

http://spice-the-cat.spaces.live.com/ (Dave's blog...but you seldom find info about gibbons on it, other than his listed profession... :lol: )

http://lynsaysands.spaces.live.com/ (Lynsay's blog - for those who don't have it...she is also on facebook & myspace, although the book information and blogs are usually the same)
wren

Postby MsKitty on July 7th, 2009, 12:46 am

wren wrote:Here y'all go, girls! <grin>

From Merriam-Webster Online:

Gibbon ~ any of a genus (Hylobates of the family Hylobatidae) of agile brachiating tailless apes of southeastern Asia that are the smallest and most arboreal anthropoid apes

brachiating ~ to progress by swinging from hold to hold by the arms <a brachiating gibbon>

Wrangler ~ [short for horse-wrangler, probably part translation of Mexican Spanish caballerango groom] : a ranch hand who takes care of the saddle horses ; broadly : cowboy

There is a picture of a brachiating gibbon at the entry on Merriam-Webster Online...so a "gibbon wrangler" simply wrangles gibbons instead of horses...LOL...though it may be a bit more difficult to do ;)

Now...your conclusions are up to you, dahlings!... :twisted:
[/

[b]http://spice-the-cat.spaces.live.com/ (Dave's blog...but you seldom find info about gibbons on it, other than his listed profession... :lol: )

http://lynsaysands.spaces.live.com/ (Lynsay's blog - for those who don't have it...she is also on facebook & myspace, although the book information and blogs are usually the same)

Sooo... that makes Mr.Spice a... Monkeyboy?? :lol:
Ms Kitty - AEA Sister & Australian Council Enforcer Contact
MsKitty

Postby lisa on August 10th, 2009, 5:13 pm

Not to change the subject or anything, but is there an error on the A. family tree on the website? The print is very small and I cant find my magnifying glass( actually I know where it is but there is a small furry rodent in the same room currently and for some reason I cant find my self able to enter barefooted! :shock: ) The section of the family tree is the one about Victor and his first wife. There is the words Accidental Vampire between her name ( cant make it out )and Vincent. Is it supposed to be there? Family trees are sometimes confusing and I really dont want to get that magnifying glass at present.
lisa

Postby Kath on August 10th, 2009, 5:38 pm

lisa wrote:Not to change the subject or anything, but is there an error on the A. family tree on the website? The print is very small and I cant find my magnifying glass( actually I know where it is but there is a small furry rodent in the same room currently and for some reason I cant find my self able to enter barefooted! :shock: ) The section of the family tree is the one about Victor and his first wife. There is the words Accidental Vampire between her name ( cant make it out )and Vincent. Is it supposed to be there? Family trees are sometimes confusing and I really dont want to get that magnifying glass at present.

I think the words "Accidental Vampire" are there only because that's the book where you learn about her via Victor. She's only connected to Vincent because that's his mother. BTW, you can use the Adobe PDF zoom in tool to magnify the print without retrieving that magnifying glass in the room you don't want to enter...(I agree!) :lol:
Kath

Postby lisa on August 10th, 2009, 5:57 pm

Thanks Kath, I knew someone would have answer to either question or how to enlarge. Just a little rattled today ( more than usual) due to mice invasions. I currently share living quarters with 2 cats---one that is almost 20lbs! They dont seem to be able to take care of the mouse problem but I dont want to put poison out and kill the cats. Glue traps are all around the steps and floor boards that wont be near the cats, but I had to listen to 1 mouse last night from 2am til 530 that was frantically chirping and crying while stuck to glue trap in my bedroom! The 20 lb cat slept on peacefully thru the racket and the other cat was exhausted from earlier pouncing and waiting and darting at shadows. BTW on Mythbusters ( tv show )yesterday I learned that elephants are really afraid of mice ( not just in cartoons!)
lisa

Postby lisa on August 13th, 2009, 6:32 pm

Thanks for the optimism! I live in a house that is surrounded on all sides by cow pasture. ( Grandpa's cows) There are lots of hiding places for rodents/snakes (oh my!) and around this time of year when mowing the hayfields are going on, lots of new rodent residents move in. So far only one snake has gotten in the house (knock on wood) and I hope that is the last! That was years ago. In this area of the US we have copperheads/ rattlesnakes/ and sometimes cottonmouths(type of snake) in the creek! I used to have a dog that would chase the rabbits, but she died last year. When the house was built 20 years ago we had a very aggressive cat that was a great catcher of squirrels/rabbits/rats/mice! He lived out side and was our first line of defense. Between that cat and the hawks that circle overhead riding the thermals during the day, and the screech owls at night, they kept the population in check. However cat is long gone and the owls and hawks cant do it alone.
lisa

Postby Denise on August 13th, 2009, 11:55 pm

Time to get a couple of new cats outside, I'd say. I know what you mean about those three types of snakes. We had to deal with them at my home when I was a kid. We lived on a 5 acre lot that only had 3 acres cleared, two acres of woods with a creek running through. The cottonmouths loved that creek, and we stirred up a rattlesnake every now and then. One year we uncovered a copperhead nest, three baby snakes. Yikes!
Denise

Postby MsKitty on August 14th, 2009, 6:12 am

Hey Denise!!

Umm... what's a cottonmouth?? I've only ever had run ins with brown snakes when I was growing up!
Ms Kitty - AEA Sister & Australian Council Enforcer Contact
MsKitty

Postby Mr Spice on August 14th, 2009, 10:10 am

MsKitty wrote:Hey Denise!!

Umm... what's a cottonmouth?? I've only ever had run ins with brown snakes when I was growing up!

It's one of those snakes from the southern states and has those impecable and refined Old South good manners. It has evolved to be so polite that it heads for the cotton fields first thing in the morning and fills it's mouth with cotton bolls straight from the plant so that it is unable to bite anyone and do them any harm. It's known to naturalists all over the world as the planet's most civil and genteel reptile.
"A heavy snowfall,
They are just about to close
The great gate of the barrier"

Yosa Buson (1716-1783)
Mr Spice
Site Admin

Postby susan60625 on August 14th, 2009, 12:43 pm

Mr Spice wrote:
MsKitty wrote:Hey Denise!!

It's one of those snakes from the southern states and has those impecable and refined Old South good manners. It has evolved to be so polite that it heads for the cotton fields first thing in the morning and fills it's mouth with cotton bolls straight from the plant so that it is unable to bite anyone and do them any harm. It's known to naturalists all over the world as the planet's most civil and genteel reptile.

Nice try, Mr. Spice, and actually I like your version better!

Actually, MsKitty, a cottonmouth is just another name for a copperhead snake. When the snake opens it mouth to strike, the inside is white. Hence, the nickname cottonmouth.
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

PreviousNext

Return to Family tree