eBooks - What does everyone think of them??

Re: eBooks - What does everyone think of them??

Postby karen223 on September 28th, 2009, 4:30 pm

I live in a rural area that is 2 miles west of nowhere. It is 50 miles to the nearest bookstore and our Walmart isn't even a supercenter, but I have gotten every book Lynsay has written on my Kindle in the last year. I discovered Lynsay while exploring the Kindle web site. I downloaded "The Accidental Vampire" and was hooked. I'll be reading "The Renegade Hunter" tomorrow morning with my first cup of coffee. I'll probably still be in my nightgown :?
karen223

Postby MsKitty on September 28th, 2009, 5:53 pm

Electronic Spagetti!! mmmm tasty!! Have a box of it on the kitchen bench & Mia will chew ANY (actually anything!!) she finds on the floor!!
Ms Kitty - AEA Sister & Australian Council Enforcer Contact
MsKitty

Postby susan60625 on September 28th, 2009, 11:49 pm

karen223 wrote:I live in a rural area that is 2 miles west of nowhere. It is 50 miles to the nearest bookstore and our Walmart isn't even a supercenter, but I have gotten every book Lynsay has written on my Kindle in the last year. I discovered Lynsay while exploring the Kindle web site. I downloaded "The Accidental Vampire" and was hooked. I'll be reading "The Renegade Hunter" tomorrow morning with my first cup of coffee. I'll probably still be in my nightgown :?

Welcome Karen! I know you will enjoy The Renegade Hunter (REN) tomorrow. I know. I was lucky enough to win an ARC of the book from Lynsay. I've been biting my tongue and tying my fingers together for several weeks now. Tomorrow is freedom!
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby Heli on October 6th, 2009, 3:30 pm

I don't know if I would like to read my books from some kind of electrical device. Even sample pages from amazon are sometimes annoying to read from computer screen. But I can't really know since I have never seen any Kindle or similar device. If that (Kindle) worked in here, I probably would buy it. The reasons for that are, of course 1) I would get my books faster so I would'nt need to wait 2-3 weeks. 2) The order wouldn't stay unnecessarily in the customs, 3) the books wouldn't take much storage space.

But problems would be power cords and power failures, so you can't read without electricity. Also, how heavy those things are? Heavier than paperback? Is there possibility to make back up files in case I accidentally delete a book from that device (Kindle or some other)?

I don't know. I kind of like traditional books. You can read them in trains and aeroplanes and they won't break so easily. And traditional books are easily recycled if needed...
Heli

Postby karen223 on October 8th, 2009, 2:20 pm

Hi Heli
I might be able to answer some of your questions about the Kindle. It is much easier to read then a computer screen because the Kindle is not backlit like a computer. The Kindle requires a separate light source just like a book.

The Kindle can be recharged 2 ways, either through a USB port on a computer (like an ipod) or with an electrical plug. I'm not an international traveler but I'm sure there are electrical adapters required. If the wireless feature is turned off you can go a long time between charges. You can read at least a whole book on one charge.

Books can be downloaded 2 ways also. Either directly from Amazon, or with what they call "WhisperNet", which is in fact the Sprint cellular network.

Once you buy a Kindle Amazon maintains your Kindle history on line. You can redownload any book at any time and it is password protected so nobody can see what books you are buying. It will also tell you if you have already purchased a book and are accidently trying to buy it a second time. (I knew because I tried. OOPS)

I hope this has helped.
karen223

Postby lynnzerben on November 22nd, 2009, 4:10 pm

First let me say there is nothing like the smell of books store. New books, old books, I just love the way they smell. That being said, I absolutely LOVE my kindle! It really doesn't feel like your reading it on a a electronic device. You get into the story and forget it's there.

A few things to add to karen223, I've been able to read several books on a single charge before. One time though it was really late at night and I was really into the book that I didn't realize the power was low and it died right at the climax. Add to that I had just come back from a trip and I couldn't find where I put my charger. I spent the next 30 min tearing up the house looking for it. That however was a one time thing and now I keep my charger in the same place.

Another great thing about the kindle is that I can read my romance novels in public and not feel embarrassed about some of the covers. I could go on and on, but since amazon isn't paying me I'll stop.
Still waters run deep

Good Girl Gone Vampire
lynnzerben

Postby lynnzerben on November 22nd, 2009, 4:13 pm

MsKitty wrote:'No Officer... I haven't been drinking.... It wasn't my fault... It was Bastien & the trifle.... What do you MEAN drug test??"

LOL!! I love listening to audio books while driving. I actually helps me concentrate. Weird huh?
Still waters run deep

Good Girl Gone Vampire
lynnzerben

Postby MsKitty on November 26th, 2009, 7:41 am

There is no such thing as weird when it comes to books lynnzerben!! lol!!

BTW.. I now have a Kindle & luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurve it!! No more 2 week wait for books!!
Ms Kitty - AEA Sister & Australian Council Enforcer Contact
MsKitty

Postby karen223 on November 26th, 2009, 11:37 am

MsKitty wrote:BTW.. I now have a Kindle & luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurve it!! No more 2 week wait for books!!

I ordered a skin for my kindle that is called "Crazy Zebra". It is a pinky purple zebra print. Wild. :lol:
Real books are great but I don't have the room to keep all I want. Now I can take my entire library with me in less room the 1 hardcover book, cord included.
karen223

Postby Mabel48 on February 25th, 2010, 2:49 pm

Well I've had my Kindle for about 9 months now. It's got just over 50 books on it now. All of the Argeneau/Hunter books. Some other series' that I'm reading and some other that I got free or very cheap. It flew to Norfolk, VA with me last Thanksgiving. Loved having it on the plane and while waiting at the airport. I love being able to preorder a book and get it the day it comes out. That's what I did with Lynsay's last two Highlander books and Bitten by Cupid. I had started Stephanie Laurens's Cynster series. The ones I couldn't find at a book store I was able to download. Several times I've caught my self trying to 'turn the page' while I'm reading it, then when I recently was reading a paperback I caught myself pushing down with my thumb to try to make it flip to the next pg. When you plug it into a computer you can see the folder on the Kindle where the books are stored. I just burned a copy of that folder on to a CD as a back up.
:shock: You know I've got the Argeneau's in paperback. On my Kindle and in audio. ( The woman that does some of the audio books sucks! She can take the hottest love scene and make it sound like she's reading a grocery list :evil: She just goes on in this same boring cadence) But the guys aren't bad, besides it just seems like it should be a mans voice) Any way I think maybe I need an intervention or therapy ;)
Mabel48
Mabel48

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else