eBooks - What does everyone think of them??

Re: eBooks - What does everyone think of them??

Postby Mabel48 on February 25th, 2010, 2:49 pm

Well I've had my Kindle for about 9 months now. It's got just over 50 books on it now. All of the Argeneau/Hunter books. Some other series' that I'm reading and some other that I got free or very cheap. It flew to Norfolk, VA with me last Thanksgiving. Loved having it on the plane and while waiting at the airport. I love being able to preorder a book and get it the day it comes out. That's what I did with Lynsay's last two Highlander books and Bitten by Cupid. I had started Stephanie Laurens's Cynster series. The ones I couldn't find at a book store I was able to download. Several times I've caught my self trying to 'turn the page' while I'm reading it, then when I recently was reading a paperback I caught myself pushing down with my thumb to try to make it flip to the next pg. When you plug it into a computer you can see the folder on the Kindle where the books are stored. I just burned a copy of that folder on to a CD as a back up.
:shock: You know I've got the Argeneau's in paperback. On my Kindle and in audio. ( The woman that does some of the audio books sucks! She can take the hottest love scene and make it sound like she's reading a grocery list :evil: She just goes on in this same boring cadence) But the guys aren't bad, besides it just seems like it should be a mans voice) Any way I think maybe I need an intervention or therapy ;)
Mabel48
Mabel48

Postby Copper on February 26th, 2010, 12:06 pm

i know exactly what you mean i dont want to listen to them like that because it sounds strange for me and there's no passion in the voice and i think im not relating because im so used to hearing it in a Scottish ascent :D
AEA Sister European Council/enforcer contact
The Sisterhood of the Travelling Fangs
Copper

Postby sin on March 1st, 2010, 7:47 pm

Mable I agree with that statement. :)

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby Mabel48 on March 2nd, 2010, 9:12 pm

sin wrote:Mable I agree with that statement. :)

I wrote a not very nice review on audible.com about the woman reading the books and now Lynsay says someone contacted her asking if she thought it should be a guy reading the next book!!! I'm sure it was all because of my review...lol ;)
Mabel48
Mabel48

Postby wren on March 2nd, 2010, 10:47 pm

Mabel48 wrote:
sin wrote:Mable I agree with that statement. :)

I wrote a not very nice review on audible.com about the woman reading the books and now Lynsay says someone contacted her asking if she thought it should be a guy reading the next book!!! I'm sure it was all because of my review...lol ;)[/quote

I'm sure it was, too! Many times a company will realize if someone has taken the time to point out those things, that there are others that feel that way too. I felt from the beginning that a man should be reading them. I know Lynsay writes the stories...but in the series, it is Lucern who is the author. ;)
wren

Postby Denise on March 3rd, 2010, 1:41 pm

I had read another review, also, that complained about the woman reading them. So maybe they listened. All they have to do is get on here and look at our comments to know that it was keeping several of us from buying the audio books. If they'll re-do the one's she did, I'll buy!

ETA: Wow, I just was looking at some of the reviews on Audible and very few of them (only one, actually) have anything good to say about the narrator. Wow, you'd think they would have picked up on that MUCH sooner.
Denise

Postby Lynsay on March 3rd, 2010, 10:00 pm

Actually, guys (Mabel, Wren and Denise, lol,) I am very proud to say that it was actually myself who first complained about females reading the stories and that was before they even made them, or I guess after they'd started but before they finished the first round of books. When they sent me the samples I kind of was horrified because the stories are often more from the guy's perspective than the gals and I guess I do think of it as Lucern narrating. I don't want to sound sexist, but I just don't think the woman's voice could carry the strength of the guys in the series. So I whined to my agent, who passed it on in her inimitable style and I gather they switched to a guy for the ones they hadn't already done, but Renegade is the first in a new round of books being set to audio so I think he just emailed to be sure I hadn't changed my mind. I hadn't, but I thought I'd check with you guys cause then I could say it was YOU who wanted it to be male and they might be more likely to listen without my making my vicious-dog-on-a-chain-Jenny, the agent extraordinaire, go after them. LOL. Mind you, I'm sure bad reviews would add to the weight of my request. As I say they normally just do what they want with covers and titles and other things.

By the way, the vicious-dog-on-a-chain-Jenny business is an inside joke we have. When I was looking for a new agent, I had interviews set up in New York during a conference there because I was flying over for it from England. Jenny was the first appointment. We met, talked a bit and then she asked what I wanted in an agent, I grimaced and admitted that the truth was I was too darn nice and knew it and I kind of needed a dog on a chain between myself and everyone else to keep from being stomped all over. She nodded and said, "I'll be your bitch." LOL. That was it for me, I didn't even bother with the other interviews but hired her before we parted, and let me tell you, I've never regretted it. Jenny is the best darn agent a person could ask for. I am very lucky to have her. . . and know it.
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby Copper on March 4th, 2010, 6:22 am

Lynsay wrote: I grimaced and admitted that the truth was I was too darn nice and knew it and I kind of needed a dog on a chain between myself and everyone else to keep from being stomped all over. She nodded and said, "I'll be your bitch." LOL. That was it for me, I didn't even bother with the other interviews but hired her before we parted, and let me tell you, I've never regretted it. Jenny is the best darn agent a person could ask for. I am very lucky to have her. . . and know it.

that's fantastic i want one of them good for you
AEA Sister European Council/enforcer contact
The Sisterhood of the Travelling Fangs
Copper

Postby wren on March 4th, 2010, 12:20 pm

Lynsay wrote:Actually, guys (Mabel, Wren and Denise, lol,) I am very proud to say that it was actually myself who first complained about females reading the stories and that was before they even made them, or I guess after they'd started but before they finished the first round of books. When they sent me the samples I kind of was horrified because the stories are often more from the guy's perspective than the gals and I guess I do think of it as Lucern narrating.

Way to go, Lynsay. I don't think of it as you complaining, but expressing an artist's idea of what is the best way to showcase her work. I know you don't push it with titles or book covers unless it is just entirely off, like the first TIH cover. I hadn't thought about the stories being from the guy's perspective more often until you pointed it out, but that may be part of why I hear Lucern narrating the stories. My first book was Single White Vampire, and ever since then, it has always been Lucern writing his family history, and even that of the other Immortals, such as the rogue hunters, under the "guise of fiction" so that is who I hear in my head. He just "channels" his writing through you. :lol: I've always thought it was a very clever plot twist on your part, Lynsay! :D

Lynsay wrote:By the way, the vicious-dog-on-a-chain-Jenny business is an inside joke we have. When I was looking for a new agent, I had interviews set up in New York during a conference there because I was flying over for it from England. Jenny was the first appointment. We met, talked a bit and then she asked what I wanted in an agent, I grimaced and admitted that the truth was I was too darn nice and knew it and I kind of needed a dog on a chain between myself and everyone else to keep from being stomped all over. She nodded and said, "I'll be your bitch." LOL. That was it for me, I didn't even bother with the other interviews but hired her before we parted, and let me tell you, I've never regretted it. Jenny is the best darn agent a person could ask for. I am very lucky to have her. . . and know it.

Kudos to the fantastic fanged Jenny!! Well, vicious dogs are fanged... 8-) WE are all very lucky to have her...because if she gives YOU peace of mind and can be the vicious-dog-on-a-chain that you need, it means we all benefit!! Hmmm...as I look into my crystal ball...I see a tough female council enforcer or a possible life mate named Jenny in the future...the crystal ball is a bit hazy today, but it might be showing something about the Notte side of the family?? Sorry, it's clouded up now...guess we will have to wait on the author of the books to show us the way... :lol:
wren

Postby Lynsay on March 4th, 2010, 1:30 pm

Way to go, Lynsay. I don't think of it as you complaining, but expressing an artist's idea of what is the best way to showcase her work. I know you don't push it with titles or book covers unless it is just entirely off, like the first TIH cover. I hadn't thought about the stories being from the guy's perspective more often until you pointed it out, but that may be part of why I hear Lucern narrating the stories. My first book was Single White Vampire, and ever since then, it has always been Lucern writing his family history, and even that of the other Immortals, such as the rogue hunters, under the "guise of fiction" so that is who I hear in my head. He just "channels" his writing through you. :lol: I've always thought it was a very clever plot twist on your part, Lynsay! :D

I try very hard not to complain too much and won't do it unless I absolutely hate hate hate something. I don't ever want to be a prima donna or whatever. Besides, it's someone's work you're criticizing and I know how that feels so try not to do it. And I hear Lucern's voice too, lol.

Kudos to the fantastic fanged Jenny!! Well, vicious dogs are fanged... 8-) WE are all very lucky to have her...because if she gives YOU peace of mind and can be the vicious-dog-on-a-chain that you need, it means we all benefit!! Hmmm...as I look into my crystal ball...I see a tough female council enforcer or a possible life mate named Jenny in the future...the crystal ball is a bit hazy today, but it might be showing something about the Notte side of the family?? Sorry, it's clouded up now...guess we will have to wait on the author of the books to show us the way... :lol:
[/quote]

Funny you should mention that . . . LOL.

Lynsay closing her trap before she babbles out whole plot lines
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else