True or False

This is where the fun stuff lives

Re: True or False

Postby grlnxtdr29 on July 29th, 2010, 10:03 am

(LOL, gnd works just fine, wren. Usually just my family calls me Cathy. Everyone else calls me Cathaline, even when I ask them to call me Cathy)

True, GG is Mortal

Ettienne is over five hundred years old...
grlnxtdr29

Postby susan60625 on July 29th, 2010, 5:17 pm

Wren, that's a tricky one! But I'm going to have to say false! We only know about three of them. One is owned by Argeneau Enterprises (in Toronto) and one is bought by GG's stepfather for his stepson to run and, hopefully, find an immortal lifemate! The third one is in Amsterdam and we don't know who owns it, we just know that they are supplied by ABB.

Of Ramses and Alexandra's known grandchildren, Lucern is the oldest.
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby wren on July 31st, 2010, 9:53 am

susan60625 wrote:Wren, that's a tricky one! But I'm going to have to say false! We only know about three of them. One is owned by Argeneau Enterprises (in Toronto) and one is bought by GG's stepfather for his stepson to run and, hopefully, find an immortal lifemate! The third one is in Amsterdam and we don't know who owns it, we just know that they are supplied by ABB.

Of Ramses and Alexandra's known grandchildren, Lucern is the oldest.

Sue, I'm ROTFLOL!! Well done! 8-) True/False can be very tricky...much about it is in how it is worded. Statements with words like always or never tend to be false. Putting in a qualifier, like almost always or almost never can easily change it to true. That's why in many multiple choice quizzes, if you aren't sure of the answer, you can watch for certain words to take your best guess. Basic true/false quizzes have to very clear to be fair...another reason I'm not very big on them! One thing I'm good at is taking tests...some people are and some aren't...some people are very intelligent, but the testing process stumps them and they don't do well because of that...so it's difficult to get a true measure for them. On the other hand, if I can pass a test with a high percentile, even on a subject in which I'm not very qualified, has a true measure been taken? A discussion for another day, perhaps! ;)

Since this is a game, putting in twists & turns is the only way to make it work & have fun...it's almost like trying to make the statements into a riddle for everyone else. In the case of my statement, you eliminated two definite possibilities...we know that the one in Toronto is owned by a business & we weren't given knowledge about who owns the one in Amsterdam even if they are supplied by ABB. gnd was correct in that I was referring to GG, because we do know he is mortal, although we also know his stepfather purchased the nightclub...so in the statement, I was inferring that since he purchased it for GG that GG owns it, although I don't recall ever actually being told for sure who owns it. It seems you have already researched that to check...so does GG own & run it now, or did his stepfather keep ownership while GG manages it for him? Because we don't know for sure, that one word "owns" makes the statement "false" after all...so you have the correct answer!! :D However, on just a quick glance of the statement, gnd gave it a good try because it was tricky! :)

If I had said "A Mortal runs an Immortal nightclub" it would have been true, because we still could have eliminated two nightclubs but GG would have fit the statement with "canon" to support that fact. Changing only one word makes the statement a fact. So, while it is likely that a mortal somewhere owns an immortal nightclub...we have no "canon" on it from the books or a post from Lynsay to support it, so we cannot prove the statement to be true, we can only disprove two nightclubs that we know of and speculate on the other nightclub run by GG. What that means is we don't have enough information about GG's situation to make the statement true as worded. It's not science...or magic...it's logic! lol There are classes on creating accurate tests for this very reason. Good catch...now on with the game...we aren't playing 10yo True/False...we will be smarter than 5th graders :P ...after all, we do know these books...we can quote entire passages! :lol:

Sue's new statement: Of Ramses and Alexandra's known grandchildren, Lucern is the oldest.
wren

Postby grlnxtdr29 on July 31st, 2010, 10:34 am

Actually, wren, if I remember the passage correctly, it said that GG's stepfather bought the club FOR him, which means that for all intents and purposes, the club belongs to GG. I'll concede the answer to Susan on the technicallity, but I do believe I gave the correct answer.
grlnxtdr29

Postby susan60625 on July 31st, 2010, 11:26 am

Okay, gnd, let me first start out by apologizing. I don't know what happened but when I posted my answer to Wren's statement, I swear I didn't see your answer. If I had, I would have double checked my answer before posting. You are, however, correct. In VI pg. 93, Marguerite says, "...he doesn't work here, he owns it." Therefore, you are correct and I was wrong!

So, to be fair, I will answer your statement before we proceed on to mine.

In answer to your statement, FALSE - Etienne was born in 1689, meaning that this year, on his birthday, he will be 321 years old and not over 500 years old.

Now back to my statement (which I am editing slightly): Of Ramses and Alexandra's known surviving grandchildren, Lucern is the oldest.
susan60625

Postby wren on July 31st, 2010, 7:09 pm

grlnxtdr29 wrote:Actually, wren, if I remember the passage correctly, it said that GG's stepfather bought the club FOR him, which means that for all intents and purposes, the club belongs to GG. I'll concede the answer to Susan on the technicallity, but I do believe I gave the correct answer.
susan60625 wrote:Okay, gnd, let me first start out by apologizing. I don't know what happened but when I posted my answer to Wren's statement, I swear I didn't see your answer. If I had, I would have double checked my answer before posting. You are, however, correct. In VI pg. 93, Marguerite says, "...he doesn't work here, he owns it." Therefore, you are correct and I was wrong!

So, to be fair, I will answer your statement before we proceed on to mine.

In answer to your statement, FALSE - Etienne was born in 1689, meaning that this year, on his birthday, he will be 321 years old and not over 500 years old.

Now back to my statement (which I am editing slightly): Of Ramses and Alexandra's known surviving grandchildren, Lucern is the oldest.

Very good at working it out, girls! gnd, I did not remember Marguerite's statement, and I don't have my books with me, so I was working from memory when I posted...including when I posted my game clue! *grin* That will teach me to check before I post! :oops: I stand corrected, and a mortal does own an immortal nightclub...proven by canon! :D Very good catch from both of you...see how games help us learn so much more about one of our fave pastimes...Argeneaus...and all those who go with them! :lol:

Now back to Sue's statement: Of Ramses and Alexandra's known surviving grandchildren, Lucern is the oldest.

False. Martine has three living sons, Darius, Raphael, and Cale, (all born B.C. but I'm guessing on the date) from her marriage to her first life mate, the elder Darius. These cousins are much older than Lucern, who is in his 600s.

As I don't have my books available and I'm sitting in a hotel lobby posting, I'm asking gnd to post the next statement for me 8-) ....and I apologize for the confusion, Sue & gnd. Sometimes trying to make a riddle backfires on me! :oops: ;)
wren

Postby grlnxtdr29 on July 31st, 2010, 10:27 pm

LOL, No worries, Wren. There was another questionable answer to a statement in this thread. I stated that Elvi was 62 years old when she was turned, and Mabel answered True, but actually I believe the correct answer is false. She was 62 when she met Victor, but had been Immortal for 5 years, which would have made her 57 when she was turned. Since a few other people had already answered questions before I caught the mistake, I let it go. I guess this is a lesson to all of us to pay a little more attention before answering, even if we are certain we have the correct answer.

Anyway, new statement...

Bastien's Secretary is Mortal
grlnxtdr29

Postby susan60625 on July 31st, 2010, 11:32 pm

FALSE - Bastien's secretary, Meredith, is immortal.

New statement - Dante and Tomasso are the only MALE twins talked about, so far, in the series.
susan60625

Postby grlnxtdr29 on July 31st, 2010, 11:36 pm

False, Lucien and Jean Claude were twins also.

Martine was Born before the Fall of Atlantis
grlnxtdr29

Postby Denise on August 3rd, 2010, 3:21 am

False, Martine was born in 1280 BC and the fall was somewhere around 1500 BC.

Immortals can control any mortal.
Denise

PreviousNext

Return to Games, Quizzes, Fun Stuff