Every (Family) tree has a nut (or three)

This is where the fun stuff lives

Every (Family) tree has a nut (or three)

Postby grlnxtdr29 on November 11th, 2010, 10:32 am

Since we Hijaked one of the other threads with family stories, I thought I'd start this thread for us to tell funny stories about our Family trees. My Mother's side of the Family has hundreds of funny and strange stories. I don't know much about my Father's side of the Family, but I do know that he is a Decendant of Captain James Cook, who is credited with discovering South America.

One of my Favorite stories is about the Irish Priest who came to America to Visit his cousin, and fell in Love with an Indian Cheiften's daughter. He was Defrocked and disgraced, and told never to return to Ireland, so he stayed here and married the Indian Maiden.

Another story from my Mother's side is the story of the Sway Back Horse. My Grandmother liked to brag that our Family Had so Many In Laws and Outlaws, on Both sides of the Law. She often told the story of how her Uncles took an old sway backed Horse accross Country. They would put a sack of flour on it's back and Cover it with a Fine Horse blanket and a saddle, and then one brother would take the Horse into town and sell it for $100, and then that Brother would move on, and a day or two later, the other Brother would come in to town and Buy the horse back for $10. They went all the way from Boston Mass to San Diego that way.
grlnxtdr29

Re: Every (Family) tree has a nut (or three)

Postby cgsdesigns on November 11th, 2010, 9:30 pm

Well, I'm not sure if I could explain my dad's side of the family tree without leaving you all as confuddled as I get when my dad tries to tell me how my cousin is my uncle and his uncle is my cousin. Of course these are the same relatives that are well known for having big shindigs for divorce parties and of course one of them does own a bar and I think he still has two of his own teeth.

I love the sway back horse story! LOL My mom tells me about when my grandma was a girl, she used to try to ride one of the dairy cows from their farm into town instead of having to walk there all the time. She learned her supposed Grandma Torture Routine from that story...... you have to go pick a switch. It better be the perfect switch. If it is too small, Grandma gets to pick it and she always picks the biggest ones.... Then, she holds you by your arm and you get to go in circles while she applies the switch to your bottom.

Of course that leads to the next one where I found out that my Grandma was a lot tougher than she looked..... I started laughing while she was teaching me that something I did was not right according to her and well, it didn't hurt so I laughed. Then she really let me have it. I don't remember what I did to get that beating but I learned my lesson..... don't laugh at Grandma. She has more power in her arm than one wants to think she does.

And so, the stories begin....

I can't wait to read some of them.
cgsdesigns

Postby grlnxtdr29 on November 12th, 2010, 11:01 am

I Have a Great Grandfather who is also a Great Uncle. He is my Mothers Uncle on her Mothers side, and a Grandfather on her dad's side (Or is it the other way around? I can never remember).
grlnxtdr29

Postby cgsdesigns on November 18th, 2010, 7:07 pm

When I married my first husband, my last name became "Bowen". Now, my family name is Lobdell.

On my dad's side of the family, I have an Aunt and Uncle Bowen.

That one however is of no connection that we can find.

And everyone wonders why I didn't go back to my maiden name after my last marriage??? Would you trade Golden for Lobdell?

Me either. LOL
cgsdesigns

Postby sherr on November 21st, 2010, 5:33 am

My friend kept her maiden name when she got married 'Richards' her husband is Richard and salespeople always think that her husband is Richard Richards.....lol....women keeping their maiden name is very common in French - Canada
good girls don't make history and I plan on being very historical
sherr

Postby susan60625 on November 21st, 2010, 12:20 pm

My cousin's ex-wife comes from a large, split-up family. After her sister and she were born, her parents split very nastily. They didn't speak to each other for a long time after. They both remarried, they both got pregnant at the same time, both had boys and both named their sons Scott. So, my cousin's ex has two brothers named Scott. They are almost the same age (days apart). Talk about confusing. Reminds me of the old Newhart show. You know, "This is my brother Darryl and this is my other brother Darryl." Only for her, the phrase is "This is my brother Scott and this is my other brother Scott."
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Return to Games, Quizzes, Fun Stuff