The Immortal WHo Loved Me Contest

These are the contests specifically targeted toward frequent forum users.

The Immortal WHo Loved Me Contest

Postby terri on February 20th, 2015, 12:46 pm

Hello forum peeps!

This contest is for a signed copy of The Immortal Who Loved Me along with the pen Lynsay signed it with. Contest closes February 26th at midnight. (Your answers can be as simple as a sentence.)

Q: What would you do? If you could have an incredible gift like Stephanie’s but it came at an incredible cost as hers does, would you want the gift? (Another example – You could see the future but you were blind as a consequence.)

Good luck!
terri
Site Admin

Re: The Immortal WHo Loved Me Contest

Postby susan60625 on February 20th, 2015, 2:05 pm

Since, in most cases, a person doesn't get the option of a choice in situations like this, even in literature, I think having the option pretty fascinating. As much as I'd like to say that having a super ability would be cool, I would have to seriously consider it. If being able to see the future meant being blind, I would have to say no. Two reasons. One would be that I'm not sure I would want to see the future because I think it would end up making me insane. There is a character in Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series, Nyx, who has that ability and, for the most part, she is nuts because she sees the good as well as the bad. It would be an incredible burden to look at your friends and loved ones and know that something really bad was going to happen to them and not try to change things. However, if you do that, you could be changing the future in ways that could cause irreparable damage.

The second reason would be that I would have to give up my sight. This would mean that I would never see the people in my life again. I would never see another sunrise. I would never see the beauty of a butterfly resting on a flower. After having the ability to see my whole life, I don't think I could willingly give it up for anything.

Therefore, I don't think I would give up anything in order to have a super power. I don't think the benefits could outweigh the losses that would be required.
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby sin on February 20th, 2015, 2:44 pm

Short answer is yes I would take the gift. I am a big fan of solitude so in reality I would not be giving up that much. :)

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby orionsfaith on February 20th, 2015, 3:00 pm

Q: What would you do? If you could have an incredible gift like Stephanie’s but it came at an incredible cost as hers does, would you want the gift? (Another example – You could see the future but you were blind as a consequence.)

Which cost is that? :?
Becoming an immortal! Not such a loss I think, bring it! :D
Losing her family? That is a big one, but worth it....in the long run. :(
Constantly being bombarded by unwanted thoughts and fearing being put down by Lucian? :shock: So long as it wasn't permanent and I could learn to control it, it'd all work out in the end and be just fine.

I daydream about being immortal way more than is healthy. Consequences be darned! Bring on the immortality.
"You see? We get on famously...We could have been grand friends."
"Except for the part about me being an enforcer and you being a murderer."
"Yes. Well, no friendship is perfect."
orionsfaith

Postby grlnxtdr29 on February 20th, 2015, 8:07 pm

My family already has certain gifts. Both of my Brothers can answer your questions before you ask them. I can sometimes make a connection with people and know what they are thinking and things about their past (although sometimes if they realize I can read them they unconsciously block me). I Have an ancestor who predicted her own death.

Gift or Curse is the question, though. I don't think I would want to be constantly bombarded by people's thoughts as Stephanie is. The occasions I do connect with someone can be disturbing. To have that happen constantly would be emotionally draining.
grlnxtdr29

Postby Denise on February 22nd, 2015, 2:01 am

I think it would depend upon the gift, whether it was something that could be used to help people. Then, as long as the sacrifice only affected me I'd be willing to accept.
Denise

Postby TomEC on February 23rd, 2015, 12:08 pm

I think I would prefer the word ‘talent’ over ‘gift’ simply because when I think of a gift, I think of something that’s free but, in this case, there’s definitely a price. But that’s just me being ridiculously nitpicky.

I think it would depend on the talent and the price since there are countless possible combinations. If it were something comparable to Stephanie’s situation and I really somehow had a choice, I would risk it. I don’t think I could bring myself to miss an opportunity to become more than I am. I suppose that’s why the idea of immortality is so appealing, other than not dying, because I would finally have enough time to get it right and become so much more than I currently am.

orionsfaith said she daydreams about being immortal way more than is healthy. I’m glad I’m not the only one.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby Kath on February 24th, 2015, 2:22 am

Hmmm... while you might think reading people's minds would be great (it's so frustrating sometimes when someone you know well is smiling to themselves but won't let you in on what they're thinking).

However, unshared thoughts are probably best not known! It'd probably drive you crazy if you couldn't shut that off or if you found out something you were better off not knowing.

So, no, I wouldn't want it.
Kath

Postby shaashaine on February 24th, 2015, 6:21 pm

I don't think I'd take Stephanie's particular gift. I'm not a fan of big crowds or people in general, but I do enjoy being around those I love and I'd like to keep it that way :D . I'd rather have the gift of healing animals at the cost of not being able have them myself (for one reason or another, which I can't come up with right now :( ) or maybe my lifespan would get shorter the more I heal them because I'm transferring my life source to the poor babies.
"Bippidy, Boppidy, BACON!"
shaashaine

Postby wren on February 26th, 2015, 7:29 pm

Having Stephanie's & Marguerite's ability to match life mates in love would be wonderful. Hearing all the constant thoughts of others would definitely turn me no fanger from insanity, and the loss of my mortal family against my will is too high a price. Whether the Immortals in Stephanie's life can find a way to help her overcome those negatives remains to be seen. While Marguerite chose to be turned, the resentment and abuse she suffered as Jean Claude's wife but not as a true life mate, and the cruelty and hateful actions of Vita, was a big price to pay. However, she gained the chance to live much longer and in better circumstances than a poor serving girl in a castle during the times of her birth, and now has her entire family, including her true life mate and their son, to love and enjoy. The cost of her gift for bringing life mates together has worked out for the best in the long run.

I would rather have the normal Immortal enhanced talents, without the special gifts that Stephanie or Marguerite have, and like Mortimer's Samantha, I want my family as Immortals too. My answer is "No, Thank You" to the special gifts at the great costs. I would rather use my natural gifts and education to do what I can in the same way the other Immortals do, such as being rogue hunters or researchers, to help both Immortals and Mortals have better lives.
wren

Next

Return to Forum Contests