*POSSIBLE SPOILERS* Name Pronunciations/Meanings & Origins

Talk about the Argeneau family members and what makes them so real.

Re: Name Pronunciations/Meanings & Origins

Postby Mr Spice on November 30th, 2009, 11:43 am

susan60625 wrote:I appreciate everyone's help, but .....

Dave, I tried using my RealPlayer and it told me that it didn't have software to support that file or even an upgrade to help me play it. :(

Denise, I do have XP and I did download QuickTime, but it, too, said it didn't have the ability to play the file. :(

I must be missing some basic system file that would allow me to play the file. I guess I'll just have to wait until such a time that I can get a new computer and continue to hear the pronunciations that I have in my head! :o

Thanks again everyone!

If you have XP I assume you will have WIndows Media Player. Try using that and if even WMP won't play it then is sounds as if you've lost the MP3 specific codec that decodes the file.
"A heavy snowfall,
They are just about to close
The great gate of the barrier"

Yosa Buson (1716-1783)
Mr Spice
Site Admin

Postby susan60625 on November 30th, 2009, 7:23 pm

Mr Spice wrote:
susan60625 wrote:I appreciate everyone's help, but .....

Dave, I tried using my RealPlayer and it told me that it didn't have software to support that file or even an upgrade to help me play it. :(

Denise, I do have XP and I did download QuickTime, but it, too, said it didn't have the ability to play the file. :(

I must be missing some basic system file that would allow me to play the file. I guess I'll just have to wait until such a time that I can get a new computer and continue to hear the pronunciations that I have in my head! :o

Thanks again everyone!

If you have XP I assume you will have WIndows Media Player. Try using that and if even WMP won't play it then is sounds as if you've lost the MP3 specific codec that decodes the file.

Yeah, MrSpice, I think you may be right. I have tried every possible software that has been given as an option and none of them work. I had a major crash of my system this past summer and it is possible that when the Geek Squad guy was fixing things that was missed because I would never have thought to mention it to him since I rarely need that ability. I have other minor problems that I've been using work-arounds to get past since that crash, this must be part of it. :x
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby marebear_2000 on December 1st, 2009, 5:13 am

susan I had the same problem, but I was able to get the file to work a different way. try this: right click on the file. select open link in new window. when it opens, click on the file again. it should download and play with windows media player. hope it works for you.
marebear_2000

Postby Denise on December 1st, 2009, 10:06 am

I'd be willing to bet that you've got what you need somewhere on the disks that came with the PC. You might try a "Rapair" type of installation of your system and be looking for sound related items to install. I haven't done something like that in a long time or I'd walk you through it.
Denise

Postby ~Linda~ on January 5th, 2010, 11:24 am

susan60625 Try to dowload vlc media player. Make sure you unclick make this my default player. It plays everything that my freaky Windows Media Player doesnt. Right click the file and go to open with.. VLC . hope this helps. It is a free download just do a search and you will get a gazillion options of where to get it.
The world is so Backasswards
It makes me wish I was
DYSLEXIC!
~Linda~

Postby terri on February 21st, 2010, 11:47 pm

You can download iTunes for free and it can play Mp3 and Mp4 formats.

Also Media Player Classic which is also a free download will often play files that normally are a problem for other multi-media players.

Hope that helps!
Terri
terri
Site Admin

Postby grlnxtdr29 on March 21st, 2010, 2:38 pm

I had all the names right, with minor differences for my Pacific Northwest accent. But I noticed a few names where missing. Or maybe I just didn't hear them cause the Kids were screaming. I didn't hear Elvi, Eshe, or the three sisters' Surname (Sam, Jo, and Alex).
grlnxtdr29

Postby Lynsay on March 21st, 2010, 11:10 pm

Hmmm, well Elvi and the Willan girls last name should have been there. I would think Eshe was too, but it may have been missed.

Elvi is pronouned -- Ell-vee
Eshe is = Eh--she the eh sound the same as the start when you're saying the letter "S"
Willan is - Will--en

Hope that helps

Lynsay, who wrote a big long rant about certain books and then lost it before she could post. Maybe for the best, you don't need my opinion on what makes a bad book, lol.
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Re: *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* Name Pronunciations/Meanings & Origins

Postby wren on March 26th, 2010, 6:21 pm

This information comes from the names & meanings lists that I had researched for the old forum. I've started adding some updates from the latest books and will continue as soon as possible. If you have not read the entire series, please note that the comments orthe name meanings may be spoilers for you!! wren

Image **WARNING ~ THERE ARE SPOILERS IN THIS POST!!**

KEY: A=Argeneau, N=Notte, L=Life Mate, CE=Council Enforcer I=other Immortal, M=Mortal, R=Rogue/Immortal Villain, MV= Mortal Villain, E=Edentate Immortal, NF=No Fanger

A: Lucien ~ French "Bright Light" (Lucian is the American Council & protector of his people!! :) )

A: Jean Claude ~ Jean = Celtic/Gaelic "God is Gracious" & Claude = Latin "Lame" (I find JC’s double name interesting. It implies he had the means and gifts to go either way in life. His first name shows he could have been a strong leader like his brothers and sister. Yet the meaning of Claude is interesting, because in the first centuries of life JC was spoiled & weak, always allowing Lucian to be the strong twin, but he was not a rogue. The last 500 years of his life he was even weaker, becoming an alcoholic after he allowed Vita to manipulate him, which later led to his turning rogue & requesting death by his twin brother’s hand to release him and his family from what he had become.)

A: Armand ~ French "Army Man" / Latin "of the Army"

A: Victor ~ Latin "Winner, Conqueror"

N: Julius ~ Latin "Downy"/ Greek "Youthful"

N, CE: Marcus ~ Latin "Warlike"

L: Aloysius (surname Pimms) ~ German "A Warrior" (Martine's 2nd Life Mate, father of Decker, Elspeth, Julianna & Victoria)

A: Darius ~ Greek "Wealthy"/Persian” Upholder of the Good" (Also name of Martine's 1st Life Mate, the father of her oldest three sons: Darius, Raphael, and Cale)

A: Raphael ~ Hebrew "God Has Healed"

A: Cale ~ Hebrew Form of Caleb = "Faithful, Bold"

A: Lucern ~ Luc/Luke = French/Latin "Light" (from Lake Lucerne)

N, CE: Christian ~ Latin/English "Follower of Christ"

A: Bastien ~ French "Venerable, Revered"

A: Vincent ~ Latin "Victorious"

A: Etienne ~ French "Crown, Crowned One"

A: Thomas ~ Greek "A Twin"

L: Gregory ~ Greek "Vigilant, Watchful" (Lissianna)

L: Tinh (Tiny McGraw) ~ Vietnamese “mindful, aware” McGraw ~ Scottish surname - From McGrath, McGraw..."Love, Fondness, Virtue, the son of Prosperity" Tiny = family nickname (Mirabeau)

A, CE – Rogue 50 years proved innocent: Nicholas ~ Greek "Winner, The People's Victory" also "One who is victorious" Derived from Greek "nike" (goddess of victory) and "laos" (people).

A, CE: Decker Argeneau Pimms ~ Decker = German "Man of Prayer /Irish "Strong, Devout" &
English "Digger of Ditches"

CE: Garrett Gordon Mortimer ~ Garrett = Celtic/Gaelic "To Watch" & English "Spear Rule"/ Gordon = Gaelic/English"
"From the great hill; a hero" & "Nature-Lover, Hill" Mortimer = French "Still Water, Deep" & English "From the Still Pond"

CE: Justin Bricker ~ English "Just, Fair" possibility for surname - "Alert, Bridge"?

N, CE: Dante ~ Latin "Everlasting, Enduring"

N, CE: Tommaso ~ Italian "Form of Thomas = Twin and Doubter- (Thomas was the Apostle who doubted the resurrected Jesus)

I: Allessandro (Cipriano) ~ Italian: "Defender of Man"

I: Edward (Kenric) ~ English "Wealthy Guardian, Prospering Defender"

I: Harpernus (Stoyan) ~ Harper = English "Harp Player"

CE: Dieudonne Jules (D.J.) Benoit = French "God Given, Youthful, Blessed"

N: Neil ~ Scottish/Irish "Victor, Champion, Passionate"

N: Stephano ~ Greek "Victorious" (Neil's brother, mortal, turned to save his life)

N: Nicodemos ~ Greek "People's Victory" (father of Julius, Mila, & Vita & European Council member)

M: Christopher (C.K.) Keyes ~ Christopher = Greek "Christ-Bearer" (Kate's editor friend in SWV and TD&H)

M: Vittorio ~ Italian "Winner, Conqueror" (works for Marguerite, Maria's husband)

M: Teddy Brunswick ~ Teddy from Edward = English "Wealthy Guardian, Prospering Defender" or Teddy from Theodore = Greek "Divine Gift, God's Gift, A Blessing" Brunswick = Old German "Bruno's Village" Bruno = German "brown-haired or brown-skinned."

M: Vladimir Drake ~ Vladimir = Russian/Slavic "Glorious Leader"
Drake = English "Fire-Breathing, Dragon like" (Goth vampire wannabe - TAV)

R: Morgan ~ Welsh "The Edge of the Sea" Celtic "Confident, Seaman" (friend of Jean Claude turned Rogue Vampire - BMIYC)

R: William ~ English "Strong-Willed Warrior, Staunch Protector" (Pedophile - ABTR)

I: Cassius ~ Latin "empty, vain" (guy that had caused Jackie to fear the Immortals when she was 19yo...though not actually rogue, he was very selfish & thought the Immortals were superior to Mortals - ABTR)

MV: Jason Lerner ~ Greek "Healer, Man on a Quest" (Vampire Hunter - TAV)

MV: Father Joseph ~ Hebrew "God Will Increase, Asset" (misguided priest - AQB)

MV: Dwayne/Bob ~ Dwayne = African-American "Country, From the Wagon Maker" English "Dark, Black"/ Bob = Form of Robert - English "Bright Flame" ("cucumber guy" misguided follower/helper of Father Joseph - AQB)

MV: Owen Knight ~ Owen = Welsh "Well-born" (misguided teen vampire wannabe to impress a girl in TAV who accidentally caused trouble for Elvi - TAV)

MV: Mike Knight ~ Mike = short for Michael Hebrew "Who is like God?" Knight = English "Protector" (Owen's misguided father and Karen's husband - TAV)

MV: Norman (Pudge) ~ English "Man From The North, Sincere" (insane vampire hunter/vampire wannabe - LB)

A: Martine ~ French "Servant of Mars, Warlike One" (is on European & American Councils)

A: Marguerite ~ French "Pearl"

L: Susanna ~ Latin "Lily" (Armand's 1st Life Mate & Nicholas' Mother)

I: Althea ~ Greek "Healer" (Armand's 2nd Wife & Thomas' Mother)

I: Rosamund ~ German "A Garden of Flowers" (Armand's 3rd Wife & Jeanne Louise's Mother)

L: Marion ~ Hebrew from Mary + Anna "Bitter-Gracious" or French - form of Mary "delicate spirit" (Victor's 1st Life Mate and Vincent's Mother)

A: Lissianna ~ ? French Lisette "Consecrated to God" + Hebrew Anna "Gracious" Alternate information for Lissianna ~ Greek - possibly from Lissandra, Lysandra - "Defends Others, Liberator; She Frees Others" or possibly a form of Alexandra/Alexis - Greek/English/Scottish/Spanish "Regal Protector, Helpful, Pretty" (As Greg is her Life Mate and she is very beautiful, these fit...as well as the fact that she is not afraid to stand up to her Uncle Lucian, and that she wanted to gain her independence and help others after her father died. Maybe Lissianna is the French form of these names. Since I can't find the exact name, we will have to ask Lynsay. Lissianna is a beautiful name!)

A: Elspeth ~ Scottish/Hebrew "God is my Oath, Consecrated to God"

A: Jeanne Louise ~ Jeanne = French "God is Gracious" + Louise = English "Famous Warrior" & German "Hardworking & Brave, Fights With Honor"

A: Julianna ~ Latin/Italian Julia = Downy, Youthful, Forever Young + Hebrew Anna = Gracious

A: Victoria ~ Latin "Winner, Conqueror"

CE: Mirabeau ~ Latin Mira "Behold, Admirable" + French Beau "Handsome, Beautiful"

L: Rachel ~ Hebrew "Ewe, Innocent Lamb" (Etienne)

L: Kate ~ English/Celtic/Gaelic "Pure, Virginal" (Lucern)

L: Terri ~ from Theresa - Greek "Harvester" (Bastien)

L: Jackie ~ English "Supplanter"/French "To Protect" (Vincent)

L: Leigh ~ English "Field, Sheltered From The Storm" (Lucian)

L: Ellen/Elvi ~ Greek "Light" Elvi - from Elvira, Spanish "Foreign & True" correct pronunciation is El-vee(Victor)

L: Mabel ~ English "Lovable, My Beautiful One" (D.J.)

L: Inez ~ Spanish "Meek, Pure, Holy" correct pronunciation is E-nez (Thomas)

A: Luciana (Lucy) ~ Italian/English "Light"

I: Meredith ~ Welsh "Lord, Protector" (Bastien's secretary)

I: Sharon ~ Hebrew "Open Heart, Desert Plain" (Vincent's secretary)

M: Maria ~ Latin "Sea of Bitterness" also Latin/French/German/Italian/Polish/Spanish - meaning "Desired Child" (works for Marguerite, Vittorio's wife)

MV: Karen ~ Greek/Irish "Pure-Hearted" (Misguided wife of Mike Knight & mother of Owen - TAV)

R: Lily ~ Latin/Chinese "Blossoming Flower, Elegant" (Vampire of Revenge - ABTR)

R: Vita ~ Italian "Animated, Lively, Life" (Pure Evil Vampire - VI)

M: Magda ~ Scandinavian/Polish "Believer, Woman of Magdala" and from Magdala - Greek "Girl In The Tower"
(She was Marguerite's maid who took Christian to Julius as a baby to save him, and a victim of Vita.)

NF, R: Leonius ~ Late Roman - Derived from Latin Leo & Greek Leon "lion"

I, R?: Basha ~ Greek "foreign, a stranger" derived from Barbara, the feminine form of the word barbaros, once used to refer to the unintelligible chatter of foreigners which sounded like "bar-bar" to the Greeks, hence "foreign; strange." (Has influence over Leonius, is a fanged Immortal, other unknown)
wren

Re: *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* Name Pronunciations/Meanings & Origins

Postby Lynsay on March 26th, 2010, 7:09 pm

My goodness Wren!! The funny thing is I do often look at name meanings when choosing names for some characters. Of course, I don't for characters named after real people and yet some of the meanings fit. Gregory, Nicholas, Justin, DJ, CK, Owen, Mike, Karen, Teddy, Marguerite, Susanna, Rachel, Kate, Terri, Jackie, Inez, and Leigh are all named after family or friends.

With the rest of the names, I usually pay attention to meaning. Leonius Livius for example is leonine in coloring, vicious as a lion and envious like his last name which means envy. Basha is the unknown one or stranger to us, and so on.

As for the names Lissianna and Mirabeau. I can't tell you where I got Mirabeau, I saw it somewhere and liked it, then looked up the meaning and figured it fit. But Lissianna I made up myself. It may exist somewhere, though I've never seen it, but I was trying to think of a name that fit the character and couldn't come up with anything I liked and then I was looking at the L's and saw Lissa, Lissandra and Lillianna in the same area and just kind of combined them to make Lissianna. I knew at once it was her.

So there you have it, Lissianna may exist as a name, but when I was writing the outline for the first four books, I also made it up. LOL.

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Discuss The Characters