*POSSIBLE SPOILERS* Name Pronunciations/Meanings & Origins

Talk about the Argeneau family members and what makes them so real.

Re: *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* Name Pronunciations/Meanings & Origins

Postby lisa on April 11th, 2010, 7:59 pm

I feel your pain Jill! Lisa is a pretty short name also! Although there are people who misspell it on occasion!
lisa

Postby sherr on April 11th, 2010, 8:07 pm

You think that is a problem...my real first name is Sherry. i get spellings like Shari, Sherri, Cherie or I get some fool singing that Frankie Valli song...so my real friends call me Sherr and those who ask I tell them I spell it like the wine. :roll:
good girls don't make history and I plan on being very historical
sherr

Postby Lynsay on April 12th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Lindsay, Lindsey, Lyndsay, Lyndsey . . . .

nicknames I have been given - Lyns, sands, sandi

'Nuff said

Lyns
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby jill on April 12th, 2010, 6:24 pm

well my nickname is Jillybean but I always wanted to go by J.C. which is my first and middle initial. But I am not sure if I am cool enough yet to pull that off lol...actually now that I am ripe age of 30 (gasp) I kinda like the fact that there aren't too many Jills out there :)
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” Oscar Wilde
jill

Postby wren on April 15th, 2010, 5:46 pm

sherr wrote:You think that is a problem...my real first name is Sherry. i get spellings like Shari, Sherri, Cherie or I get some fool singing that Frankie Valli song...so my real friends call me Sherr and those who ask I tell them I spell it like the wine. :roll:

seashell's name is spelled Sherri (and true to her nickname, she is enjoying a fabulous spring break day at the beach today)...and Gypsy's is spelled Terri, just like our Terrinator (I like her new code name!) here on the forum...and I bet they both get Teri or Terry, too. I know my baby sisters have had every spelling you can think of, besides being mixed up because they were identical twins with rhyming names. Momma says she would not have done that if she had known how difficult it would be. Hmm...and my sister-in-law is Sherry...and she is a fraternal twin, but her sister's name is Sheila...they got the matching initials instead of the rhyming names. :) My name is Alesia Renée and I'm called by my middle name by family & friends...sin could actually pronounce & spell my first & middle names correctly from the beginning, which doesn't happen often...it's much easier to go by wren (just like the little bird) on the forum! ;)
wren

Postby sherr on April 15th, 2010, 8:03 pm

My parents thought that it would be funny to name me after a bottle of wine....no fooling.....so 3 weeks before X-mas they went out and bought some Sherry for a party and henceforth my name as I was born 2 days later....and just to carry the joke a little further my middle name is Rose (like the colour of wine) it is also a variation of my Great Grandmothers name but still the joke remains....good thing I wasn't a boy or my name would have been Scotch or something.
good girls don't make history and I plan on being very historical
sherr

Postby wren on April 16th, 2010, 4:20 pm

sherr wrote:My parents thought that it would be funny to name me after a bottle of wine....no fooling.....so 3 weeks before X-mas they went out and bought some Sherry for a party and henceforth my name as I was born 2 days later....and just to carry the joke a little further my middle name is Rose (like the colour of wine) it is also a variation of my Great Grandmothers name but still the joke remains....good thing I wasn't a boy or my name would have been Scotch or something.

lol Sherr, then we could have called you....Scotty? ;)
wren

Re: Name Pronunciations/Meanings & Origins

Postby wren on April 30th, 2010, 10:48 pm

Lynsay wrote:Lynsay, who wrote a big long rant about certain books and then lost it before she could post. Maybe for the best, you don't need my opinion on what makes a bad book, lol.

Actually, Lynsay, I would be very interested in your opinion on what makes a good or bad book. Just in general...I'm not asking about specific authors as I don't want to put you on the spot and I like that we always post positively about other writers on this forum...even if any writers books aren't to our tastes, we only say that with maybe a general reason why it's not for us...but nobody bashes the writers or the friends on the forum who do enjoy their books. That happens to be another "something" that I find unique about our forum. We look for what we have in common, but we respect the differences among us. :)

From the view of being a reader and a writer, what are your opinions on what makes a book good or bad? Also, if she will share them, what is Terri's opinion on what makes a book good or bad? With both of you working professionally in the writing/publishing industry, you both must see a lot that the average readers never see.
wren

Postby Lynsay on September 15th, 2010, 12:15 am

Hmmm, I just saw this Wren, sorry I didn't answer at the time. For me what makes a bad book is....well, there are a couple of things.

One, I dislike it when they are illogical. Whether it's plot, or a character's behavior. It just bugs me. I mean, you know, in a moment of stress anyone can behave irrationally. That's not what I mean, but when they do something so stupid and illogical--with no underlying reason for it--that you just kind of shake your head and go huh?

I also don't like it when they are boring or too slow, so bogged down with description that your interest wanes. I once bought a book because it was an award winner and I wanted to see what was so good, how I could improve. 75 pages in we were still describing the FIRST SCENE. Seriously. I mean, they were describing a court yard down to the individual leaves littering it. I thought, gees, I'm never gonna win an award if that's what you have to do, it would bore me to tears to write it. And it seems unnecessary to me. I mean if I say "He awoke lying on the cold snow, surrounded by winter dead trees stretching toward a grey sky." I think you can visualize what I'm saying. I don't need to spend two or three paragraphs or pages describing that setting.

I also need to like the characters. I've been sent books with just horrible leads. First person books where the heroine thinks nasty things about everyone she encounters, "she was a fat cow who needed to lay off the cream puffs." etc. You can describe even unattractive, horse-faced characters without being cruel. I was given another book to read where the heroine was sleeping with two or three men, but supposedly loved one of them, and I mean she slept with one, he pulls out of the driveway as the other pulls in and then she's banging that one. Sloppy seconds deluxe. I guess I'm old fashioned, but I don't call that love, and I find it hard to respect that kind of thing.

I also absolutely detest it when the hero treats the heroine like crap, but the heroine still loves him. The same is true of a heroine who is a complete and utter bitch to the hero without reason. I mean, you know, if there's a misunderstanding and her anger and nasstiness is understandable until the matter is cleared up AND HE KNOWS THIS...well, that's one thing. But I think there must be something seriously wrong with someone who can fall in love with someone who treats them like crap from the get go.

So basically, what makes a good book to me is one with characters I like which is fast paced enough to keep my interest and which includes all facits of life; action, humor, suspense, joy, passion and even some sadness. Because life is made up of all those things and books are snapshots of life, a fictional one perhaps, but life just the same.

There you are, a long yipping.

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby wren on September 15th, 2010, 5:29 am

Very well yipped, Lynsay!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! 8-)

This may be part of the "illogical" that you mentioned, but I like it when an author sticks to the rules of the "world" she/he has created. It's a pet peeve of mine if I'm reading a series and suddenly a book's plot or characters don't follow the original premise and rules set up from the beginning. I'm not talking about a minor change here and there as a series evolves, but when something just isn't probable enough to be genuine to what has been happening all along. That really bugs me! :(

I also don't like profanity in every bit of dialogue, even if the book's setting is dark or seedy. I've watched movies that were like that, and they would have actually been better movies with more real dialogue and less profanity in every scene. It's not a simple moral or religious issue for me. I don't mind when it's appropriate to the scene and a character says something out of anger or other emotion, because then it's realistic to the story, but I truly believe going overboard with profanity slows a story down. If I'm mentally "bleeping" every other word out, I don't get a lot of what the characters are saying, so soon I lose interest in trying to keep up with the plot.

Another peeve are those books that are mostly sex scenes with a paragraph of plot in between. I've seen this a few times with some of the Regencies, which is usually my fave historical era. Hello? How about a story with a few sex scenes that really mean something in the plot and show the love between the lead characters? It's called "romance" for a reason! I know some books are very "hot" so that's not what I'm talking about. It's those that I feel should be in the adult section in the back room of the store with the very mature magazines or videos, kwim? It's one thing for books to be "sexy"...the Argeneaus and the Scottish historicals are very sexy and those of us that read your books like them that way. Image Image It's another thing entirely for them to be a tutorial of the hero teaching the heroine every possible sexual scenario under the sun. Believe it or not, that was the basic theme of one Regency I read...when I tried another by that author, it was a variation on the same theme. Too bad, because the few parts that were an actual plot were fairly good, but since there never seemed to be enough of the storyline, :roll: I dropped that author's books from my reading list.

You already know what makes a good book to me, so I don't have to tell you. That is why I keep coming back for more Argeneaus & Hysterical Historical Romances! As long as you keep writing, I'll keep reading! :D
Last edited by wren on September 16th, 2010, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
wren

PreviousNext

Return to Discuss The Characters