Etienne

Talk about the Argeneau family members and what makes them so real.

Re: Etienne

Postby Lynsay on November 3rd, 2010, 6:49 pm

Hmmm, you know I didn't think there was anything unusual about their behavior or attitude because that was the way my mother raised us. I just figured everyone was like that. But the other day I saw an article in the paper that a fellow passed out in front of the grocery store by my place in a diabetic heap and was left there for hours while people stepped over and walked around him until the manager called the police to "come move the drunk passed out in front of my store." Fortunately, on any call like that EMTs are dispatched and they recognized the problem at once. But as they started to load him up and help him, the manager was all upset saying they should wait the police were coming. I mean really....REALLY? NO ONE STOPPED TO SEE IF HE WAS ALL RIGHT? Even if he HAD passed out drunk, he could have hit his head when he fell and need assistance. But what if he'd had a heart attack or something? Fortunately, the guy is okay now, but....Cripes.

Last night I stopped at Canadian Tire to get a lock for the gym locker and there was a fellow on crutches with one leg missing and the pant leg pinned up, obviously it was a new loss. He was standing at the back of his car by the trunk staring helplessly at, and then nearly overbalancing himself trying to pick up a box (wafflemaker I think, it was heavy) in a broken bag. You could see the handles had broken on him. Well, as I say, I don't know how long he was there, but I parked and then walked over to see if he needed a hand. I do know that good looking serial killer (can't remember his name) used to use similar tricks to lure women. But there was no doubt this guy's leg was missing, and there were other people in the parking lot, so I went over. He was so grateful, but trying to maintain his dignity at the same time. I carried the box inside and up to customer service for him. But what kind of bothered me the most was that not ten feet away were two people selling those poppies, or taking donations for poppies. And neither of them would even look at the man, let alone move their arses to offer a hand and they must have seen the bag shred on him. AND THERE WERE TWO OF THEM if there was any trouble and this was a trick.... I don't know. . .People. Both men would have been offered immediate assistance in the small town I grew up in. At least they would have been when I lived there. But apparently people are too busy to help each other any more. It's a sad sad state of affairs.

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby susan60625 on November 3rd, 2010, 8:35 pm

Ya' know Lynsay, I get where you're coming from. But I had a bad experience being nice. Granted, I live in a big city, but I was raised to be polite and to help people. At the time, I was working downtown, but I had been selected to buy a birthday gift for one of my co-workers with money we had collected, so I went back downtown on a Sunday to buy it. As I was heading home, I was about to board the subway, when a blind man tripped getting on. I immediately reached out to steady him and helped him onto the train. He thanked me and I felt good. When I got home, I realized that my purse was unzipped and my wallet was gone! When I contacted the police, I was told that it was a common ruse. While you are helping the person in need, his partner is behind you and steals your things from your now unprotected purse. However, once burned, twice shy. A couple years later, I was working elsewhere but still took public transportation. This time I was getting off the train, when the person in front of my tripped. All of a sudden, something clicked and I clamped my arm down on my purse. Sure enough, someone behind me had his hand already in my purse! I let out a scream and started swinging at the guy. This time they were pretty stupid, because there were cops on the train and they were arrested right away! However, it really makes you stop and think before you try to help anybody!
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby Lynsay on November 4th, 2010, 5:12 pm

I go to New York enough and after having lived in England where there are notices everywhere to be careful of pickpockets, that I tend to walk with my arm over the purse opening and the purse more in front than beside me. Unfortunately, you do have to be careful in this world. Glad your outcry helped get them arrested Susan. And I do understand people's worries about getting involved. Like I say, that serial killer (gees wish I could remember his name) used to take advantage of women who would offer him help. In fact, crutches were one of his ruses, and that did occur to me as I approached the fellow. However, he was definitely missing a leg, can't fake that, and it wasn't full dark yet and there were people around. I was more distressed that the two people from the poppy thing weren't helping out. Two together means one could watch the other's back. I was also distressed about the guy in front of the grocery store because it was apparently broad daylight and definitely busy and, I would consider, safe to stop and see if he needed help. I mean, he could have died there for heaven's sake. Anyway, it's a shame the world has turned so...well, I don't know. Unsafe? Threatening? That people are afraid to help each other anymore. There are so many scams out there, so many ways people try to use and take advantage...Sheesh. It's a sad sad world.

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby VirtualValkyrie on November 4th, 2010, 9:54 pm

Lynsay wrote: Like I say, that serial killer (gees wish I could remember his name) used to take advantage of women who would offer him help. In fact, crutches were one of his ruses, and that did occur to me as I approached the fellow.

Lynsay

I think you're referring to Ted Bundy or his name was something like that??

Its a shame no one offered any help, if only people were a little less selfish in the world, I really think it would be a better place. But we seem to live in a "me me me" society these days! :shock:

I also am not at all surprised, I live in London, and the people are totally awful! Not all of them of course but the vast majority, they don't even offer to give their seat on the bus to an elderly person who is clearly struggling to stand. I mean, I'm only one person so can only offer up on seat and I feel bad for all the other older people.
"Excellence is not a skill. Its an attitude."
VirtualValkyrie

Postby Rawr on November 8th, 2010, 10:14 am

Lynsay wrote:I knowww, eh Rachel? I'd have snuck into the coffin with him too, or maybe made him make one for two so we could...er...nap together...that's it, yeah, nap. LOL. Happy belated birthday by the way. And welcome to the forum. Terri will make you immortal so your posts don't need approval after a certain number of them. Can't remember what that number is. 20 or something. Anyway, until then I'll do my best to approve your posts quickly.

Lynsay

:o :D <---that is probably what my face looked like when i read that. Thank you very much. You know my first college boyfriend and i went to a halloween store one day and snuck into the display coffin. lmao the look the clerk gave us made us snicker the whole day. Another coffin story(i'm VERY into my bday XD) Anime Central 13th this past year I was a staffer and the staff room had it's own wooden coffin and all. I loved it and said i wanted to take it home with me. They said no but, 3 months later a friend i worked with at acen said the person who owned the coffin was selling it to him and the next party he had with it i could dance on it and maybe sleep in it if it was comfy. Interesting how things work out right?
Rawr

Postby Rawr on November 8th, 2010, 10:28 am

Lynsay wrote:Hmmm, you know I didn't think there was anything unusual about their behavior or attitude because that was the way my mother raised us. I just figured everyone was like that. But the other day I saw an article in the paper that a fellow passed out in front of the grocery store by my place in a diabetic heap and was left there for hours while people stepped over and walked around him until the manager called the police to "come move the drunk passed out in front of my store." Fortunately, on any call like that EMTs are dispatched and they recognized the problem at once. But as they started to load him up and help him, the manager was all upset saying they should wait the police were coming. I mean really....REALLY? NO ONE STOPPED TO SEE IF HE WAS ALL RIGHT? Even if he HAD passed out drunk, he could have hit his head when he fell and need assistance. But what if he'd had a heart attack or something? Fortunately, the guy is okay now, but....Cripes.

Last night I stopped at Canadian Tire to get a lock for the gym locker and there was a fellow on crutches with one leg missing and the pant leg pinned up, obviously it was a new loss. He was standing at the back of his car by the trunk staring helplessly at, and then nearly overbalancing himself trying to pick up a box (wafflemaker I think, it was heavy) in a broken bag. You could see the handles had broken on him. Well, as I say, I don't know how long he was there, but I parked and then walked over to see if he needed a hand. I do know that good looking serial killer (can't remember his name) used to use similar tricks to lure women. But there was no doubt this guy's leg was missing, and there were other people in the parking lot, so I went over. He was so grateful, but trying to maintain his dignity at the same time. I carried the box inside and up to customer service for him. But what kind of bothered me the most was that not ten feet away were two people selling those poppies, or taking donations for poppies. And neither of them would even look at the man, let alone move their arses to offer a hand and they must have seen the bag shred on him. AND THERE WERE TWO OF THEM if there was any trouble and this was a trick.... I don't know. . .People. Both men would have been offered immediate assistance in the small town I grew up in. At least they would have been when I lived there. But apparently people are too busy to help each other any more. It's a sad sad state of affairs.

Lynsay

Well, if it had been a trick I would've succumbed to it. I'm always helping people if I see someone in need. Now I live in Chicago and I don't care what people say, chicagoans are super nice! My southern belle grandma raised me to always be polite, helpful and *badhabit* always say sorry even if something that happened wasn't your fault. I'm the one who asks who dropped the twenty before taking it myself(what i'm only human) I help the person in the wheelchair cross the street(there was one time i didn't but, the woman gave me the heebiejeebies) I think though despite the fact that women love bad boys and maybe not be that kind of helpful that it's only natural to be attracted to a kind, helpful man.
Rawr

Postby Lynsay on November 9th, 2010, 1:56 pm

I don't know, some of my best friends as a teenager were bad boys. They were pretty good friends. Looked out for you better than a lot of those supposed "nice" guys. I should qualify that, the majority of them did. There were a couple creeps among the bad boys, usually hangers on on the outskirts of the group who were just nasty and didn't get the true nature of these bad boys who weren't really bad, just rebellious and different and with their own code of honor. Last I heard the head of this bad boy group I hung with is a CEO somewhere, or some other high title, lol.

I suspect they'd laugh their behinds off if they knew I was a writer now. I always hated English. Well, not always, but I did when I was hanging with them. I had an English teacher who kept telling me I was wasting time and should drop out of school. I thought she thought I was stupid and wouldn't pass and started skipping her class. Didn't want to be there if she thought so little of me. Then a history teacher was handing back essays. Mine was on Napoleon. He left mine till last and walked to my desk, held it out, but when I went to take it, wouldn't let go. When I met his gaze and raised my eyebrows in question, he said,

"I just want you to know, I was sure you had plagiarized this. Just copied it from somewhere. It was too good. I took it to your English teacher and asked her if you had. She read it and shrugged and said, "No, this is her work. She's good. She can do better though. She was being lazy." He shook his head. "I find it hard to believe anyone could do better. This is the best darn essay I've ever read. You have a talent."

Then he let it go and walked away and I just sat there holding the essay, staring at the 100% and hearing his words replay in my head. I was confused...and growing FURIOUS. The same teacher who had told me to drop out of school said that? The minute class was over I stormed off to find the b*tch English teacher (and I do mean b*tch. I'm sorry. I nearly dropped out of school because of that cow) So, I got to her classroom, stormed in and threw the essay on her desk and said, "Would you care to explain?"

"What?" she asked innocently.

"You're telling me to drop out of school and telling Mr. X that I'm good?"

She shrugged. "You're wasting your time here. You're going to be a writer some day. I think you should drop out of school and suffer for your art."

I just stared at her for a minute, ticking this over, and then I pretty much exploded. I believe words like stupid and cow may have come from my mouth along with the fact that I'd been ready to drop out thanks to her idiotic nonsense. And then I got personal. "Just because your father is a writer and you wanted to be one too and flopped at it, you're gonna try to screw up my life? Get a therapist you nasty, bitter old cow! You shouldn't be allowed anywhere near high school kids. GOD!" And then I stormed off.

In my defense, I should mention that I am very slow to anger, however, once you push me too far, I do have a temper and this woman had nearly pushed me right out of school in grade 11 with her bull. She really shouldn't have been allowed near teenagers. I hope to God she didn't pull that crap with anyone else. I did wait to be called on the carpet for losing it with her. Still didn't go to her class and slunk around, cringing every time I saw the principal, thinking he was coming to get me and suspend me or something. He never did, and then a couple days later I heard she'd had a nervous breakdown and checked herself into a hospital. She didn't come back while I was there. Hope it wasn't my assessment of the situation that caused it, or if it was, hope she got help. But it was around then I realized that she couldn't have gone to the principal, because the school would probably frown on her advising students to drop out. It's scary to think how many others there might be out there doing stuff like that and screwing up young kids. I've had some really awesome teachers, like Mr. Brady, who first encouraged my writing, but there are some bad eggs too.Sigh..

Hmmm....now you know I have a temper. LOL. Actually, as a teen I was one big ball of anger, lol. Not so much any more. But I do have a breaking point. A lot of people don't believe it because I so rarely reach that breaking point, but there is one. It's just that I'm naturally kind of a happy person, so little bothers me much. You really have to push to find that temper. Ah well.

Lynsay, apparently chatty today, must be trying to avoid corrections
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby cgsdesigns on November 9th, 2010, 4:27 pm

Wow Lynsay, you know, you may have helped that guy carry in the waffle iron and done a good thing, but I think you did an even better thing for many more when you confronted that teacher.

I had a few teachers that knew I had potential to do good work but also that I would take the easy way out if I wasn't pushed into putting effort behind it. Ms. Allen, my German English teacher.... no I didn't take German from her, pure English... she was an expert at getting under my skin but in a way to urinate me off enough to try to prove her wrong and put some effort into things. As much as I hated English and at the time I really didn't like her much at all, I know now that she was probably the biggest help to me. At the same time, she could have really messed up my life if she hadn't pushed me in the right drection.

It is a shame though that today you find more of the bad people out there in the world. Be they teachers with the power to crush a child's imagination or desires to people who will walk right by someone laying on the ground possibly dying without doing a thing.

I still open doors for older people. While I don't ride the bus to give up my seat, I will take the time out of my day and run a friend, neighbor, or someone in need to the doctor, the store, whatever. I sat for almost 2 months in the hosptial with my roommate while she was dying. During that time, only one other "friend" came to visit her at either the hospital or the hospice. I bring candy into the pool for evereyone because I figure it's tough enough to make ourselves go to therapy everyday, there is no reason we can't have a "little" reward for it. At Christmas I will bake about 70 to 80 loaves of zuchinni bread plus a bunch of other goodies to make sure that each of the people that come to therapy will have at least one Christmas present. I'm the baby of the bunch and I know a lot of them don't have family near by and will probably spend the holiday alone. I hate Christmas but I feel better about it when I know I make it better for someone else.

I was raised this way. I thought more people were but it is amazing to see how just one generation can make such a big difference. I think the whole world is missing out when they start worrying about "me" instead of others. I really think that is one thing I like about the Argeneau family. They aren't afraid to do good for the world.
cgsdesigns

Postby Rawr on November 10th, 2010, 10:03 am

Wow.....Lynsay, other fans posting on the board.....I'm really happy I joined. ^_^ The more I read everyone's posts the brighter my day is. I read and I think wow there are actually a lot of people out there who think the way I do. :D Lynsay, I have a slow temper too and it just means that you are not a pushover. The same as me. As a teen I was a little spitfire, got into trouble(heh heh not that I ever got caught. hard for teachers to think a 100 lb. girl beat up a football player.), but my english teachers throughout my life always told me I should be a writer starting with my 3rd grade teacher. You heard me right nine years old and my teacher said I was going to be a famous writer one day. The story was I wrote a 3 page fairy tale on a field trip on the two hour bus ride. My teacher found out and had me read it to the class. She even called my mother and told her what I did. Now I don't know what happened to it but, I've always loved to write stories and poems. My 10th grade teacher she was interesting lol She was born on Halloween too. She always chatted with me from 10th until I graduated. She pushed me into a Creative Writing class. lol Mrs. Staver and her StaverLand. Now my highschool teachers also believed I'd be a pastry chef too. And I plan to be both. I love both. One day I'll own a cosplay cafe' that sells sweets. Unfortunately I'm kind of a procrastinator but, I just bought a netbook this late spring and I have been working on a novel while being published in Kilter Magazine for short stories and poetry. (I've only been published once so far because my short stories aren't short enough. What? Short stories are hard!) lol Ooops I chatted too long too. :lol:
Rawr

Previous

Return to Discuss The Characters