****The Lady is a Vamp****ONLY if read the Book

Talk about the stories that got the Argeneaus where they are today.

Re: ****The Lady is a Vamp****ONLY if read the Book

Postby wren on August 3rd, 2012, 2:22 pm

rockie wrote:
grlnxtdr29 wrote: Just out of Curiosity, can you tell us how much time passes between JL's Book and Ander's? I know it can't be more than a Month, since you said Leigh's baby is born in his book, and that she was only a month away from her due date in JL's Book.

As it has been several years for us, it has only been about 8 months for them.. The books do not follow in real time.

Hey, you answered your own question, gnd! :lol: It has to be no longer than a month or a little less in the stories...since Lucian says Leigh is always early for everything. Also, babies...as in twins, usually do come early. ;) :D
wren

Postby TomEC on August 3rd, 2012, 3:59 pm

sin wrote:Quoting wren as I is on the phone with her as I type: 8-)

Thomas, Point in fact, the Immortals have their OWN laws,the council ,MAKES the laws, Lucian IS the council. Lucian's word IS law. This was Lucian's way to add to the turn law. In ABTR Marguerite offered to use HER turn for Jackie (even tho it was not necessary).

Ooo It is Good to be back. :):):):)

That's kind of my point. Only someone with Lucian's authority could improvise in that way. That's why I said "the precedent is now set." The law he was making was real.

I imagine, though, that allowing immortals to transfer ownership of turns would still be subject to approval by the counsel since such a rule would, otherwise, be subject to a lot of potential abuse: attempting to coerce or pressure someone into giving up ownership of their turn or even the buying and selling turns. Of course such abuses could have happened even without the ability to transfer turns... and... and...
Folks you have just seen a classic example of what can happen when you over-analyze things.
Stay safe, don't over-analyze!
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby Lynsay on August 4th, 2012, 4:48 pm

Which rules do you think need updating ejpjr? Just curious.

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby wren on August 6th, 2012, 2:47 am

I thought the resolution was brilliant. :) Lynsay took a serious situation of a family member with cancer, and handled it with tact and finesse throughout the book. She then brought the resolution about with the lighter touch for which her writing is known, allowing the happily ever after to be achieved. :D

As for the laws, this ending exhibited a clarification of the "turn law" rather than an unneeded change in it. There are important reasons why the Immortals are allowed only one turn in their entire lifetimes, and only one child per 100 years. Including the law about feeding, the three laws make up the foundation of how to police the Immortals, so that they don't overpopulate and outgrow their food source, and a smaller population is easier to protect. As for me, the foundation of the Immortal world Lynsay has designed needs to stay consistent. It makes her writing genuine. :)

If you can't depend on authors to stay consistent within the boundaries of the world they've created, then a series becomes chaotic and doesn't flow. What is allowed with one character is not allowed with another, and then it becomes impossible to "suspend your disbelief" and accept the fictional story.
wren

Postby TomEC on August 6th, 2012, 1:24 pm

wren wrote:I thought the resolution was brilliant. :) Lynsay took a serious situation of a family member with cancer, and handled it with tact and finesse throughout the book. She then brought the resolution about with the lighter touch for which her writing is known, allowing the happily ever after to be achieved. :D

As for the laws, this ending exhibited a clarification of the "turn law" rather than an unneeded change in it. There are important reasons why the Immortals are allowed only one turn in their entire lifetimes, and only one child per 100 years. Including the law about feeding, the three laws make up the foundation of how to police the Immortals, so that they don't overpopulate and outgrow their food source, and a smaller population is easier to protect. As for me, the foundation of the Immortal world Lynsay has designed needs to stay consistent. It makes her writing genuine. :)

If you can't depend on authors to stay consistent within the boundaries of the world they've created, then a series becomes chaotic and doesn't flow. What is allowed with one character is not allowed with another, and then it becomes impossible to "suspend your disbelief" and accept the fictional story.

Great post, Wren. I would like to say ditto to all those points.

I especially liked the point that the ending contained “a clarification of the ‘turn law’ rather than an unneeded change in it.” Lucian was essentially a judge trying a case, interpreting the law and creating a legal precedent, something judges do all the time. And despite his seemingly cold-hearted exterior, Jeanne Louise and Paul could not have had a more compassionate judge to try their case. Though Lucian would be the last person to admit it.

As for changing the laws, this is not the case of a bunch of old, outdated, fuddy-duddies refusing to see beyond the end of their noses. These laws been in place for centuries with good reason. A little change now and then can be a healthy thing but it's just not credible that a community of immortals, some of whom have lived for millennia, would ever easily make wholesale changes to laws that have protected them for so long. I, personally, would find it a hard thing to swallow unless there was a very compelling reason for such a change. Lynsay has it right.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby TomEC on August 7th, 2012, 11:14 am

Here are some more thoughts from me about the book. For what it's worth…

:idea: Whenever I run into a character like Paul who is, for some reason, wracked with guilt I actually find myself liking that person a little more. I know, in many ways, guilt is a useless emotion since we can't change the past; but it says something about a guy's character when he’s willing to accept responsibility even if it really isn't his fault. This world is full of people who are all too ready to blame others for their problems.

:idea: I always knew there was more to Jeanne Louise than we saw in the brief glimpses we had up until now. I understand that some people will be disappointed that no black latex bodysuits came into the picture. Cheer up, we don't know everything about her.

:idea: I find I like Paul very much as a character. At the very least he's now one of my top 10 male characters. I feel like he and I have a lot in common. It is true that he's a father, a grieving widower, brilliant, a highly trained scientist, heroic and good looking; but other than those things, we have a lot in common.

:idea: For a five-year-old, Livy is one smart cookie. What a joy it would be to have a child like that around…well, either a joy or a terror. I hope we see more of her in future books. I remember what I was like at that age: nothing like that smart. I don't know why, but I've always loved stories with interesting and authentically depicted children in them. Maybe it's because I never really grew up myself.

:idea: I was disappointed that I never got to hear Paul put his original proposition to Jeanne Louise. I was curious as to what he could possibly offer an immortal that he imagined might convince her to turn his daughter. I was pretty sure that it was based on mistaken assumptions about immortals but I would've liked to have heard it. Of course later we found out that he was hoping that some spark might happen between them but I don't think the proposition was a bluff since Paul was originally going to kidnap someone else before Marguerite changed his mind.

:idea: Speaking of my favorite Argeneau lady, I wish we'd seen more of her.

:idea: I love the fact that the Argeneau books really get into some cool discussions about the implications of immortality. In most books of this type, that I've encountered, the heroes and heroines are way too busy with other things to actually sit down and talk about what it would mean to live for centuries or even millennia. Most of us don't really stop to think about what it means to be mortal much less what it would mean not to be.

:idea: I noticed that the book never says whether or not Caro had been turned already. I suspect that she had, since if she had decided to hold off, it probably would've been mentioned. I remember how it drove Mortimer up the wall when Sam decided to wait.

:idea: As has already been pointed out, Bricker was unusually quiet in this story and we all know why; just as none of us was surprised when he offered to sacrifice his turn for Paul. It certainly was a dark time for him and I suppose this was a bit of a growing experience though I never really thought of him as immature. Why would we assume that just because someone appears to be cheerful and upbeat and enjoy a good joke that he’s immature? If a guy over 100 years old can be so easily branded as immature, despite his relative youth compared to other immortals, where does that leave us? Really, I hope that none of us ever stops growing, no matter how long we live.

:idea: I don't think that there is any real evidence that Livy is Bricker's lifemate. I doubt very much that the signs of being a lifemate could even manifest with a five-year-old.

:idea: I think if I was a member of the Argeneau family, I wouldn't find Lucian so much scary as reassuring. There he is, a human bulwark against evil and a friend in high places. He's kind of like a superhero, almost. I know he gets all harsh and nasty, but we all know it's a put-on to make the difficult nature of his job easier. I suspect if someone told him that, he would just say something harsh and offputting in order to deliberately make that person mad. I noticed that Livy wasn't afraid of him.

:idea: It would be cool if they manage to get a school for immortal children up and running in Port Henry. I think Lynsay’s world is becoming more and more interesting as she builds it out. And I think Port Henry is becoming a very special place in the fictional landscape. I’m looking forward to future developments.

:idea: It came as no surprise to hear that so many of Jeanne Louise's family and friends had offered to turn Paul. That's the sort of people they are, which is why I wasn't worried about the outcome of the story. In fact, if Lucian hadn't come up with the alternative solution that he did, I suspect that even he couldn't have stopped one of them (probably Marguerite) from exercising his or her legal right to do the deed. Of course, as a connoisseur of happy endings, I was sure that Lynsay would deliver.

Great job, Lynsay! This one is one of my favorites. :D :D :D
TomEC

Postby grlnxtdr29 on August 7th, 2012, 4:03 pm

I always knew there was more to Jeanne Louise than we saw in the brief glimpses we had up until now. I understand that some people will be disappointed that no black latex bodysuits came into the picture. Cheer up, we don't know everything about her.

Would you be reffering to me, Tom? If so, I'm not that Disappointed. After all, she did seem to always want to be on Top and in Control ;) :P
grlnxtdr29

Postby Denise on August 14th, 2012, 1:03 am

Okay, I DO think Livy will be Bricker's lifemate. He was eager to accept the tumor as the reason he couldn't read her, but we didn't hear a peep about whether he could read her AFTER her turn. I'm thinking he'd keep mum about that. I can see Livy growing up with a crush on him and him battling it, then agonizing over whether it will deepen into love. What fun it would be to see their relationship develop over the next several books!

I really don't have anything else to add. I'm not much of an analyzer; I either like it or I don't. I loved it!
Denise

Postby TomEC on August 14th, 2012, 1:30 pm

Denise wrote:Okay, I DO think Livy will be Bricker's lifemate. He was eager to accept the tumor as the reason he couldn't read her, but we didn't hear a peep about whether he could read her AFTER her turn. I'm thinking he'd keep mum about that. I can see Livy growing up with a crush on him and him battling it, then agonizing over whether it will deepen into love. What fun it would be to see their relationship develop over the next several books!

Considering the fact that Livy is five, going on six, time will have to move forward, in the series, very quickly over the next several books. If time were to move forward at the same rate it has so far, it wouldn't be until about book #57 that he could even start showing that kind of interest in her, which would mean... ...which would mean Lynsay would have to write at least 57 Argeneau Book!

You might not have a bad idea Denise. Not bad at all. :D
TomEC

Postby sin on August 16th, 2012, 2:03 pm

TomEC wrote:Considering the fact that Livy is five, going on six, time will have to move forward, in the series, very quickly over the next several books. If time were to move forward at the same rate it has so far, it wouldn't be until about book #57 that he could even start showing that kind of interest in her, which would mean... ...which would mean Lynsay would have to write at least 57 Argeneau Book!

You might not have a bad idea Denise. Not bad at all. :D

Not necessarily. As Lynsay has stated a number of times Bricker is not ready to settle down. We do know the books already move at a certain pace. Going anywhere from a few months to a couple of years between.

But then if it is another 50 or 60 books before his story that means more delectable Argeneau s & Notte's for us to drool over.

See Lynsay we do just love your books and never want them to end..

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

PreviousNext

Return to Discuss the Series