****The Lady is a Vamp****ONLY if read the Book

Talk about the stories that got the Argeneaus where they are today.

Re: ****The Lady is a Vamp****ONLY if read the Book

Postby susan60625 on September 3rd, 2012, 2:22 pm

Okay, I've finally read the book and can offer some of my own opinions!

TomEC wrote:Here are some more thoughts from me about the book. For what it's worth…

:idea: Whenever I run into a character like Paul who is, for some reason, wracked with guilt I actually find myself liking that person a little more. I know, in many ways, guilt is a useless emotion since we can't change the past; but it says something about a guy's character when he’s willing to accept responsibility even if it really isn't his fault. This world is full of people who are all too ready to blame others for their problems.

I agree! I think it's because, for me, I would probably be wracked with guilt over it, just like I get with every thing that goes wrong with my life!

TomEC wrote: :idea: For a five-year-old, Livy is one smart cookie. What a joy it would be to have a child like that around…well, either a joy or a terror. I hope we see more of her in future books. I remember what I was like at that age: nothing like that smart. I don't know why, but I've always loved stories with interesting and authentically depicted children in them. Maybe it's because I never really grew up myself.

I absolutely loved Livy! She didn't waste anytime wrapping Mr. Grumpy around her little finger!

TomEC wrote: :idea: I noticed that the book never says whether or not Caro had been turned already. I suspect that she had, since if she had decided to hold off, it probably would've been mentioned. I remember how it drove Mortimer up the wall when Sam decided to wait.

I believe that Christian turned her already. I just can't see him being patient and waiting. Besides, Caro, didn't have any real family obligations that would keep her from wanting the turn, like Sam had.

TomEC wrote: :idea: As has already been pointed out, Bricker was unusually quiet in this story and we all know why; just as none of us was surprised when he offered to sacrifice his turn for Paul. It certainly was a dark time for him and I suppose this was a bit of a growing experience though I never really thought of him as immature. Why would we assume that just because someone appears to be cheerful and upbeat and enjoy a good joke that he’s immature? If a guy over 100 years old can be so easily branded as immature, despite his relative youth compared to other immortals, where does that leave us? Really, I hope that none of us ever stops growing, no matter how long we live.

I can't say that I disagree with this, totally. Bricker has been lucky in that he hasn't had much in the way of hardship to deal with, which helps keep him happy-go-lucky. I DO think that he will be more careful in the future, however. When such serious consequences slap someone in the face, they do tend to think of them as a learning experience.

TomEC wrote: :idea: I don't think that there is any real evidence that Livy is Bricker's lifemate. I doubt very much that the signs of being a lifemate could even manifest with a five-year-old.

I agree that there is no hard evidence that Livy is Bricker's lifemate, but I have to admit it was the first thing that popped into my mind when I read that he had tried to stop her, but couldn't. I agree with others that since Lynsay has said that Bricker isn't ready to settle down yet, that she might be a good fit for him.

TomEC wrote: :idea: It would be cool if they manage to get a school for immortal children up and running in Port Henry. I think Lynsay’s world is becoming more and more interesting as she builds it out. And I think Port Henry is becoming a very special place in the fictional landscape. I’m looking forward to future developments.

I AGREE!

Wren, I also find it ironic that Bricker had such a major, if serious, role in JL's story. I can't wait to see if Lynsay gets back to the possible connection between him and Rosamunde.

Of course, my own major comment is about my main man, Christian. I still absolutely love how well he is interacting with his "new" family. I, also, loved the scenes with the soccer games! It just proved a side of his personality that I had already assumed. When Marguerite and Julius were talking about him in VI, it was mentioned how much he enjoyed participating in sports, so I always imagined him as being a sports fanatic. I can just imagine him, and Julius for that matter, watching the Olympics and cheering on their Italian athletes. I can, also, imagine myself having arguments about various sports teams and US vs. Italy sporting events! But, then again, that's just me! Ahhhhh, Christian! As sin said earlier, "But I digress".......

One other question that came to mind for me, is one I can't look up currently, since I don't have access to my books. When Paul woke up after Armand knocked him out during Livy's turn, he encountered Nicolas. In this book, he was described as being fair-haired. I seem to remember that the description of him in REN was that he had dark hair. Am I wrong? HELP!
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby Denise on September 6th, 2012, 11:05 pm

Yes, he had dark hair in REN, but maybe he colored it recently?
Denise

Postby susan60625 on September 7th, 2012, 8:08 am

Thanks, Denise! I thought I was loosing my mind, which wouldn't be hard here at this facility I'm at! Too much time to fill in between my physical therapy sessions!
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby wren on October 7th, 2012, 2:43 am

Denise wrote:Yes, he had dark hair in REN, but maybe he colored it recently?

Or maybe he kept it colored when he was on the run for so long so he wouldn't be as easily recognized? Hmmm? We'll have to ask Lynsay. :)
wren

Postby grlnxtdr29 on October 9th, 2012, 5:09 pm

I'm currently rereading Lady is a Vamp, and had a thought. If two immortals lost lifemates in the past, and now are lifemates to each other, and one of the had a child less than 100 years ago, but the other hadn't had a child in over 100, would they have to wait till the first Immortal's 100 years were up?
grlnxtdr29

Postby TomEC on October 9th, 2012, 7:01 pm

If there is no precedent to draw on, the Counsel would probably have to come up with a ruling. Since the couple itself would be unique, I'm guessing that they would let them have a child under those circumstances.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby grlnxtdr29 on October 9th, 2012, 10:43 pm

I think you are right, Tom.

Also, i just finished rereading the entire series, and just noticed that the name Beth has popped up several times. There is Beth the Immortal partner of Drina, Beth the Bitch from UaVM, a Neighbor named Beth in one of the other books, and I think it was a secretary named beth in another Book. And I think Meredithe was used for a couple different charactors too...
grlnxtdr29

Postby wren on October 10th, 2012, 3:52 pm

grlnxtdr29 wrote:I think you are right, Tom.

Also, i just finished rereading the entire series, and just noticed that the name Beth has popped up several times. There is Beth the Immortal partner of Drina, Beth the Bitch from UaVM, a Neighbor named Beth in one of the other books, and I think it was a secretary named beth in another Book. And I think Meredithe was used for a couple different charactors too...

The only Meredith I remember was Bastien's secretary. (TD&H) I don't remember a secretary named Beth. Beth in UAVM is Bethany. It's not unusual for Lynsay to have several characters in the series with the same or similar names. The older the characters, the more similar the names. It was common in early times for names to be used over & over. Also, Beth comes from Elizabeth, a very old name. :)
wren

Postby wren on October 10th, 2012, 4:02 pm

grlnxtdr29 wrote:I'm currently rereading Lady is a Vamp, and had a thought. If two immortals lost lifemates in the past, and now are lifemates to each other, and one of the had a child less than 100 years ago, but the other hadn't had a child in over 100, would they have to wait till the first Immortal's 100 years were up?

TomEC wrote:If there is no precedent to draw on, the Counsel would probably have to come up with a ruling. Since the couple itself would be unique, I'm guessing that they would let them have a child under those circumstances.

Lynsay has been very consistent about the Immortal laws. They councils are very strict about them. While they might make an exception, any Immortals who are new life mates where even one has a child under 100yo from a prior life mate would probably go into a permanent relationship knowing they would have to wait. I agree they would be a very unique couple. It takes a long time for most Immortals to find even one life mate. Meeting another so soon would be unusual, though not impossible. Nicholas met Jo relatively soon. :)
wren

Postby TomEC on October 12th, 2012, 3:50 am

I think it would come down to how they interpret the law. If they decide it doesn't apply, they would allow them to have a child. If they decide it does, they would make them wait. I suppose it wouldn't be too much of a hardship for an immortal to wait a few extra decades.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

PreviousNext

Return to Discuss the Series