****The Lady is a Vamp****ONLY if read the Book

Talk about the stories that got the Argeneaus where they are today.

Re: ****The Lady is a Vamp****ONLY if read the Book

Postby wren on October 10th, 2012, 4:02 pm

grlnxtdr29 wrote:I'm currently rereading Lady is a Vamp, and had a thought. If two immortals lost lifemates in the past, and now are lifemates to each other, and one of the had a child less than 100 years ago, but the other hadn't had a child in over 100, would they have to wait till the first Immortal's 100 years were up?

TomEC wrote:If there is no precedent to draw on, the Counsel would probably have to come up with a ruling. Since the couple itself would be unique, I'm guessing that they would let them have a child under those circumstances.

Lynsay has been very consistent about the Immortal laws. They councils are very strict about them. While they might make an exception, any Immortals who are new life mates where even one has a child under 100yo from a prior life mate would probably go into a permanent relationship knowing they would have to wait. I agree they would be a very unique couple. It takes a long time for most Immortals to find even one life mate. Meeting another so soon would be unusual, though not impossible. Nicholas met Jo relatively soon. :)
wren

Postby TomEC on October 12th, 2012, 3:50 am

I think it would come down to how they interpret the law. If they decide it doesn't apply, they would allow them to have a child. If they decide it does, they would make them wait. I suppose it wouldn't be too much of a hardship for an immortal to wait a few extra decades.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby sin on October 12th, 2012, 11:42 am

As to the comments about Paul & JL waiting 100 years before having children:

Catching sight of her disappointed expression, he said, “I
just—you said we’re only allowed one child every hundred
years. Do we have to wait until Livy is one hundred before
we have a child? Should we be using protection?” he
asked, and then added huskily, “I don’t want to risk you
being put to death for—”
“No,” Jeanne Louise interrupted. She didn’t take the time
to explain that an immortal woman could only get pregnant
and carry the child to term if she deliberately overfed on
blood to keep the nanos busy enough not to expel the child
as a parasite, but simply said, “Livy will be counted as your
turn, not a child born of an immortal.”
“Right.” He relaxed and even managed a smile. “So it’s
okay to start on a little sister for her right away?”
“I’d like that,” Jeanne Louise admitted quietly, though she
knew it wasn’t possible. She simply didn’t have access to
the blood needed to get pregnant.

Yes JL turned Livy BUT Livy used her turn to turn her dad. They can have children when they wish with no harm from the council.

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby TomEC on October 12th, 2012, 12:54 pm

Were there comments about Paul & JL having to wait a hundred years to have children further back in the tread? I forget. I'm pretty sure we were just talking about a hypothetical immortal couple,though the idea was inspired by Paul and JL's situation. Regardless, your point is a good one for anyone who was under the impression that they were the ones who might have to wait.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby sin on October 12th, 2012, 1:30 pm

TomEC wrote:Were there comments about Paul & JL having to wait a hundred years to have children further back in the tread? I forget. I'm pretty sure we were just talking about a hypothetical immortal couple,though the idea was inspired by Paul and JL's situation. Regardless, your point is a good one for anyone who was under the impression that they were the ones who might have to wait.

A hypothetical immortal person or couple does NOT belong on this thread as it is just for the BOOK. This is a rabbit trail that needs to be under one of the many other hypothetical topics. Or maybe make a hypothetical thread and move all pertaining posts there.

sin

Postby grlnxtdr29 on October 12th, 2012, 3:35 pm

Sorry, Sin, I didn't think about making a different thread when I made the original Post.
grlnxtdr29

Postby sin on October 12th, 2012, 5:28 pm

;)

sin

Postby Lynsay on October 19th, 2012, 7:55 pm

I wrote this last night, but the system bounced me. Fortunately I'd saved it. So now I'm posting it

I find I like Paul very much as a character. At the very least he's now one of my top 10 male characters. I feel like he and I have a lot in common. It is true that he's a father, a grieving widower, brilliant, a highly trained scientist, heroic and good looking; but other than those things, we have a lot in common.

LOL. I love this Tom!

It would be cool if they manage to get a school for immortal children up and running in Port Henry. I think Lynsay’s world is becoming more and more interesting as she builds it out. And I think Port Henry is becoming a very special place in the fictional landscape. I’m looking forward to future developments.

Wow! Shocker there and I’ll tell you why. I was considering, and still have it simmering on the back burner, the possibility of doing a teen series around Stephanie. I was asked if I would consider doing it back…hmm…I was in Alabama, still married…2008 or 2009 I guess. Anyway, I was asked about it at a conference and, on the spot, came up with a concept then which included the bed and breakfast expanding and becoming a boarding home for immortal kids still in school. Immortal kids were being sent to Port Henry to attend school there so they could interact with other immortal kids and be reared in a more normal environment than they’ve been able to achieve previously. I mean, immortal kids grow up alone, their siblings a century or so older. The only reason I haven’t done it yet is time. I’m already writing four and sometimes five books a year. Adding two more would be a stressor I can’t handle just now. Shrug. Who knows though.

Whenever I run into a character like Paul who is, for some reason, wracked with guilt I actually find myself liking that person a little more. I know, in many ways, guilt is a useless emotion since we can't change the past; but it says something about a guy's character when he’s willing to accept responsibility even if it really isn't his fault. This world is full of people who are all too ready to blame others for their problems.

It’s not just a world where people blame others for their problems, others blame others for others problems. I.E. Someone drinks too much at a bar, gets in their car and crashes…and the bartender can be blamed and sued and charged? Huh?

I recently read about a teenager who got involved with a guy she didn’t at first know had a girlfriend. Girlfriend finds out and goes to beat the snot out of the girl, dragging her boyfriend along to watch. What? Why go after the girl? She wasn’t cheating on anyone. He did the cheating, yet rather than dump his sorry butt, she blames and goes after the girl for his behavior? If he’s gonna cheat, he’s gonna cheat and if it hadn’t been her it would be someone else. Sheesh. Direct your anger where it belongs and don’t blame others for his actions.

These are just a couple of examples, but really, society often makes no sense to me. This business about not selling large pops in New York because obesity is a problem and sugary drinks don’t help. When did we all become children who needed policing? I thought when I turned 18 I got to make my own decisions. Guess not. What will they restrict next? Butter sold in pats? Bacon by the strip? Hmmm…I’m ranting huh? I’ll just move on.

Thank You Ms Sands for replying to me. When you write a great series of books with characters that connect with your readers you run the risk of the very same readers adding in their own imagnation things that you the creator did not. For me the rules seem formed in the time before the advent of blood banks when it was nessacery to limit severly the numbers of immortals that could be supported in a small area.

You’re right, EJPJR that the rules were started long ago, but don’t make the mistake of thinking that just because there are blood banks, society can support a much larger population of vampires. Blood banks are notoriously short on blood and every pint used to support a vampire is a pint not available for a mortal car accident victim, or a hemophiliac, or a cancer patient. And vampires need a lot of blood. They don’t just drink a pint a week or something. Aside from that there is the matter of policing them. More immortals mean more rogues and that means more policing. The population IS growing, but slowly, and it’s better that way

The rules I would change would be if a mortal put their life in danger to save an immortal (Rachel,Jo) free turn.

If that became law, there’s a good possibility that mortals would deliberately set up dangerous situations so that they could save the immortal and be turned. That might sound stupid, but it’s also true. Never underestimate us humans and what we’ll do to get what we want. Lucian has learned that over the millenia

You also have wrote that immortals tend to go rouge when thier Lifemates die, and also an immortal will never do anything to harm thier Lifemates, so if a Lifemate dies and the immortal find another Lifemate, free turn.

An immortal would never harm a true life mate, no. But think of Jean Claude and Marguerite. He let her think she was his life mate, turned her and then made life a misery. When he then found his real life mate, what was to stop him from killing off Marguerite so he could turn the true life mate he’d found? With that law in place there was no profit to killing her. Do you think Jean Claude is the only one who did something like that? Immortals make mistakes just like us mere mortals. They can be just as selfish, cruel, kind, sweet, funny, etc as us. They are us, just with nanos.

This is another question I would have a rule change if an immortal does something that puts a mortal in danger ie: an enforcer in the line of duty causes a mortal to be in grave danger of losing thier life, there should be a free turn.

Hmmm, and what if an immortal loses control of their car and crashes into a mortal’s car? Or bumps into them and accidentally knocks them down and they receive a mortal injury? Or they’re out hunting and accidentally shoot a mortal? Accidents happen. Why should an unfortunate accident mean a mortal gets such a big payday?

Also if in process of turnning a mortal into a Immortal, the mortal dies it should not count as a turn.

I don’t believe it has ever been said that a failed turn counts as a turn.

Then there is the question of if an immortal find thier Lifemate who has has more then one child, do you have a "Sophie's Choice" situation?

These suggestions cannot be made into law without someone somewhere taking advantage of them. Lucian sticks to a very few short laws because it prevents abuse of those law. Our mortal laws are now so convoluted that there often seems to be a loophole to get around most of them. However, as it stands now with immortal laws, those are the laws but exceptions can be made in very special cases, or something can be worked out.

Once again Ms Sands, your books and characters are so well written that some of your readers (me) have added in thier own minds things that you creator, did not create and more likely you will have in your later books even better solutions and situations that your readers could not have thought of. Thank you very much for indulging me

You’re more than welcome. I’m always happy to get questions. It means you don’t just enjoy the books, you think about them afterward. That’s awesome!

See Lynsay we do just love your books and never want them to end..

Ahhh, Sin. Thank you.

I can't say that I disagree with this, totally. Bricker has been lucky in that he hasn't had much in the way of hardship to deal with, which helps keep him happy-go-lucky. I DO think that he will be more careful in the future, however. When such serious consequences slap someone in the face, they do tend to think of them as a learning experience.

No he hasn’t Sue, and yes hardships can be a learning experience and make people more cautious in future. However, it depends on the person. Some are struck by hardship, learn from it, dig in and carry on. Others don’t react well at all.

Grlnxt dr

I'm currently rereading Lady is a Vamp, and had a thought. If two immortals lost lifemates in the past, and now are lifemates to each other, and one of the had a child less than 100 years ago, but the other hadn't had a child in over 100, would they have to wait till the first Immortal's 100 years were up?

Tom
If there is no precedent to draw on, the Counsel would probably have to come up with a ruling. Since the couple itself would be unique, I'm guessing that they would let them have a child under those circumstances.

Tom’s got it right, Grlnxtdr. A COUPLE can only have a child every hundred years. Not an individual. Jeanne Louise and Paul are a new couple so even if Paul had been immortal and Livy had been his daughter by another immortal, it wouldn’t restrict Jeanne Louise and Paul from having a child right away.

Wow, I am heading to bed. Hugs to you all. I’m so glad you all enjoyed it. And I really appreciate your saying so.

Later guys.

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby wren on October 20th, 2012, 8:22 am

Lynsay wrote:Grlnxt dr

I'm currently rereading Lady is a Vamp, and had a thought. If two immortals lost lifemates in the past, and now are lifemates to each other, and one of the had a child less than 100 years ago, but the other hadn't had a child in over 100, would they have to wait till the first Immortal's 100 years were up?

Tom
If there is no precedent to draw on, the Counsel would probably have to come up with a ruling. Since the couple itself would be unique, I'm guessing that they would let them have a child under those circumstances.

Tom’s got it right, Grlnxtdr. A COUPLE can only have a child every hundred years. Not an individual. Jeanne Louise and Paul are a new couple so even if Paul had been immortal and Livy had been his daughter by another immortal, it wouldn’t restrict Jeanne Louise and Paul from having a child right away.

Lynsay

Lynsay had all kinds of questions she answered in her post, which cleared up a lot of information about the laws While it's not in the books, we now understand that a COUPLE can only have a child every hundred years. Good new canon found only here on the official forum, folks! Membership has it's privileges! :D
wren

Postby sin on October 20th, 2012, 9:56 am

Lucian is head of the North American Council. There are several on the council, but in a pinch he can make the decision on his on as like terminating his twin. As Lynsay has stated many times here and in her books there are 3 basic laws all immortals adhere to. Other rules usually are voted on.

As in the case of Livy using her turn to turn her dad and him using his for her in the future there must have been a case in the past where this has happened. Lynsay is one of the very few who stick to what they have stated about their immortals. :)

sin

PreviousNext

Return to Discuss the Series