Are immortals truely superior?

Talk about the stories that got the Argeneaus where they are today.

Re: Are immortals truely superior?

Postby Denise on October 6th, 2012, 11:39 pm

I guess it would depend upon your criteria for judging. If you were wanting the fastest, then yes, the immortal would be superior. If you were wanting best form, the mortal probably would have won it. If you are wanting endurance, then again, the immortal probably would win that one, too.

I know when we were deciding who would run the track meet, nothing mattered but the time. Didn't matter what the person looked like running, if they could get it done faster than anyone else, they were the superior runner. Pretty much the same in any running contest.
Image
User avatar
Denise
 
Posts: 2358
Joined: May 7th, 2008, 9:06 am
Location: Oklahoma


Re: Are immortals truely superior?

Postby wren on October 7th, 2012, 2:40 am

Bob, in the scenario you presented, yes, the Immortal is superior physically. He even has mental abilities that he can use to read or control the mortal, but Denise is correct on the criteria for judging. The trained mortal athlete might have better form, but still not have the speed and endurance to win the race, nor the defenses against an Immortals mental abilities. I also think the age and life experiences of the Immortal would be a factor. Many of the older Immortals have been warriors, and have had to train hard physically, though not as an athlete, so even if they ran a clean race, not using mental abilities against the mortal, they would have an excellent advantage.

However, this is only one scenario, testing physical skill and endurance. There are many other aspects of life to consider. Think of Lucian and Jean Claude. They were both from Atlantis. They were the same age. They had the same parents and siblings. They both lost their first wife and any children in the fall of Atlantis. Jean Claude lived a long time, but he was always weak and spoiled. He didn't even turn Marguerite for the right reasons. In later life, he became a drunk and turned rogue. Lucian has lived even longer, always being strong and doing what he has to do for the benefit of his people. Think of Lady Is A Vamp. He knows both the advantages and disadvantages of Immortality, and he clearly helps the mortal and immortals involved see it, before he intervenes in the situation with a permanent solution that still meets the requirements of the turn law.

Though mortals are physically weaker and don't have the enhanced mental skills, they aren't inferior humans. The good Immortals don't see them that way, either. If they did, why would they bother to protect them, other than as a food source. Rather, mortals are unequal in specific skills and abilities, so an Immortal has the advantage. But...and this is a very big but, nanos only enhance what is already present, both inside and outside of a person. We know this from the many turned mortals in the series. The nanos force the new turns to their peak condition, then they have to learn to handle the new skills. Immortals are simply enhanced humans, including those born immortal. They can be good or evil from the time they are very young. They can become better people or can go rogue as they get older, even though they don't physically age beyond a certain point, just like mortal humans can become better or worse as they age. Immortals have free will to choose, and they need to choose wisely because they have to live a lot longer with the consequences of the choices they make. Jean Claude's choices were his ultimate downfall, and he no longer wanted to live, enhanced Immortal or not...and he had done some good things in his younger centuries.

Also, not everyone who is mortal wants to be immortal. Some don't wish to live indefinitely. It can become a crushing weight. No, I don't think Immortals are truly superior in general. Like any other person, each has to be judged individually. Lucian is truly superior, and if he deigned to race, (c'mon, we are talking about LUCIAN :lol: ) then he would most definitely win, physically, mentally, and morally. Jean Claude could have physically won your race, too, but he was not truly superior, and sadly, the longer he lived, the more inferior he became. :cry:

Just my thoughts...Image
Image
User avatar
wren
 
Posts: 4293
Joined: May 7th, 2008, 4:55 am
Location: Mississippi USA


Re: Are immortals truely superior?

Postby wren on October 7th, 2012, 5:31 pm

robke wrote: The thing that got me thinking about this question is that it seems some immortals have a superiority complex.

Bob




Yes, some of us do.Image I would be one of those Immortals! Image

The Princess
Image
User avatar
wren
 
Posts: 4293
Joined: May 7th, 2008, 4:55 am
Location: Mississippi USA


Re: Are immortals truely superior?

Postby Denise on October 17th, 2012, 2:37 pm

Yes, some immortals do have a superiority complex, and those people are not respected very much by the "good guys", just like in the real world. Anyone who thinks they are better than someone else is a jerk. Case and point, the immortal who messed with Jackie when she was young (name escapes me at the moment).
Image
User avatar
Denise
 
Posts: 2358
Joined: May 7th, 2008, 9:06 am
Location: Oklahoma


Re: Are immortals truely superior?

Postby Denise on October 17th, 2012, 10:50 pm

Thanks, Bob. All I could come up with was Claudius, and I knew that wasn't right. :lol:
Image
User avatar
Denise
 
Posts: 2358
Joined: May 7th, 2008, 9:06 am
Location: Oklahoma


Re: Are immortals truely superior?

Postby Lynsay on October 18th, 2012, 1:19 am

Gosh Wren, I love your posts. I could just hug you.

And Bob, as they said, I suppose it depends on your criteria. The mortal put a lot of passion and time and effort into training to run. The immortal probably didn't have to but he still put the sweat and energy into running, the nanos won't run for him. The nanos just improve their strength and speed, the immortal still has to trouble to use it. Does it make the mortal a superior runner because he had to put in more effort?

As for the writer in "the words." I haven't read it, but it sounds like he wasn't really a writer at all. He was a wannabe. That's what I call it anyway. A wannabe is someone who is just looking for fame, admiration, money or whatever. He wanted one or all of those things and chose to steal a story to get it.

A real writer doesn't write for readers, money, or fame. They write because they can't not write. The stories are inside them fighting to get out, characters climbing over each other to get attention and be heard. If J K Rowling had been writing for fame and fortune, she never would have written Harry Potter, because-- as she was told repeatedly-- children's stories don't sell. Snort. But she wrote it because Harry wanted his say. The writer in the word isn't a writer at all.

Hmmm, I wonder if this makes any sense. LOL. I haven't had much sleep, working on the second of three deadlines in a row for three books in three months. Best go see if I can make more sense elsewhere.

Lynsay
Lynsay
User avatar
Lynsay
Site Admin
 
Posts: 992
Joined: April 14th, 2008, 3:14 pm
Location: Ontario


Re: Are immortals truely superior?

Postby TomEC on October 18th, 2012, 9:24 pm

Lynsay wrote:A real writer doesn't write for readers, money, or fame. They write because they can't not write. The stories are inside them fighting to get out, characters climbing over each other to get attention and be heard.


Ditto, ditto and ditto. :D
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
User avatar
TomEC
 
Posts: 1543
Joined: December 2nd, 2010, 12:34 pm
Location: Outlook, Saskatchewan, Canada


Re: Are immortals truely superior?

Postby wren on October 19th, 2012, 1:42 am

TomEC wrote:
Lynsay wrote:A real writer doesn't write for readers, money, or fame. They write because they can't not write. The stories are inside them fighting to get out, characters climbing over each other to get attention and be heard.


Ditto, ditto and ditto. :D


and DITTO! 8-)
Image
User avatar
wren
 
Posts: 4293
Joined: May 7th, 2008, 4:55 am
Location: Mississippi USA


Re: Are immortals truely superior?

Postby wren on October 19th, 2012, 1:49 am

Lynsay wrote:Gosh Wren, I love your posts. I could just hug you.


Then by all means, Lynsay, do so! ((hug)) :D
Image
User avatar
wren
 
Posts: 4293
Joined: May 7th, 2008, 4:55 am
Location: Mississippi USA


Re: Are immortals truely superior?

Postby sin on October 19th, 2012, 1:04 pm

wren wrote:
Lynsay wrote:Gosh Wren, I love your posts. I could just hug you.


Then by all means, Lynsay, do so! ((hug)) :D


Can you say RWA????
Image

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
User avatar
sin
 
Posts: 4637
Joined: May 6th, 2008, 6:55 pm
Location: Georgia

Next

Return to Discuss the Series

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron